seeking info on taxation by SLORC e

Subject: seeking info on taxation by SLORC embassies

We are doing research for an article on the taxation policies (actually,
it's closer to random extortion) of SLORC embassies around the world and
would like to ask any Burmese reading this message to help us by answering a
few questions.  (Please remember to reply to <carol@xxxxxxx>, not the entire
list!)

1.  What country are you now living in?
2.  About how many Burmese are living there?
3.  How much tax does the SLORC embassy in your country expect Burmese
citizens there to pay?  (Here in Japan, Burmese are supposed to pay 10% of
their salary or 10,000 yen (about $100), whichever is higher and regardless
of whether or not they are working.)
4.  What happens to Burmese who do not pay taxes to the embassy?  (In Japan,
all services--processing of passports and other necessary documents,
administration of national tests to schoolchildren, etc.--are withheld
unless the citizen has paid all taxes.)
5.  What does the embassy do with the tax money?  (According to one
estimate, the SLORC embassy in Japan rakes in about 2 billion yen (20
million dollars) a year from the approximately 10,000 Burmese who work here.
This money is thought to be used for buying weapons.)

Please feel free to add any other information you may have related to SLORC
taxes, especially personal stories.

Thank you for taking the time to answer these questions.  If we get a lot of
good responses, we will post the results of our research.

Carol Schlenker and Aung Thu