Ind0-Burma border news

Statement of the Kuki Students' Democratic Front (Burma)
concerning groundless arrest of Mr. Paul a Kuki nationality
and democracy activist by SLORC.

Mr. Paul a Kuki nationality and democracy activist from
the Moulnoi village of Homlin township, Saggaing division
of Burma was arrested by military intelligent persons in
Rangoon on 2nd October 1996.

Mr. Paul left Homlin for Rangoon in mid September 1996
to meet and discuss with Daw Aung San Suu Kyi regarding
present political situation of Burma, attitude of NLD party
on ethnic nationalities affairs and role of Kuki nationality
in Federal Union of Burma in future.

He was arrested by the MI persons on the way to Daw
Aung San Suu Kyi's residence when he was trying to cross
the road blockage by security forces on the way to her
residence.

During the period of interrogation he faced with several
brutal tortures by MI persons and he was forced to confess
as a representative of outlaw Kuki underground
organization. After that he was sentenced to eight years
imprisonment by a military tribunal at Rangoon and now he
is kept in notorious Insein jail in Rangoon. The authorities
of jail did not allow him to meet with his relatives and
friends. He does not receive regular, adequate and proper
food. He is continuously being tortured physically and
mentally by authorities of the jail. Although he is suffering
from serious illness he has no chance to achieve medical
care even at the jail hospital.

We the KSDF (Burma) personally and practically know
about Mr. Paul as an active and sincere Kuki youth who has
no contact and activity with any anti-SLORC organization
in exile. He personally tried to meet and discuss with Daw
Aung San Suu Kyi based on his personal political outlook.
There are a lot of such political prisoners in several jails of
Burma.

We the KSDF (Burma) strongly condemn the SLORC for
arresting his own people who have political consciousness
and tried to meet and discuss with democracy leader Daw
Aung San Suu Kyi.

This manner of the SLORC clearly shows that they do not
accept Daw Aung San Suu Kyi as a national leader and
they consider her as outlaw person even though they dare
not arrest her. The SLORC is attempting to crush all
persons those who are politically concious and anti-SLORC
minded by making Daw Aung San Suu Kyi as a bait.

We strongly belief that similar happening will occur more
and more in future and no political problems can be solved
unless the SLORC refuses the dialogue with its
oppositions.

We are worried about the condition of Mr. Paul and we
would like to appeal to all international communities,
human rights organizations and all NGOs to try with great
effort for the release of Mr. Paul who is now in Insein jail
of Burma.

The Kuki Students' Democracy Front (Burma) has
recognized and recorded Mr. Paul as a brave active youth
and his goodwill towards Kuki people.

Kuki Students' Democratic Front (Burma)
Date, 02.09.97