S.H.A.N : JOINTMENT STATEMENT OF TH

S.H.A.N : JOINT STATEMENT OF THE ETHNIC OF BURMA
September 04, 1997

                                                                  JOINT
STATEMENT
                                      OF THE KARENNI, MON AND SHAN
DELEGATES
                                                        Tallinn, Estonia,
July 23, 1997

The delegates from the Karenni, Mon and Shan people met during the fifth
General Assembly of Unrepresented Nations and Peoples Organization ( UNPO )
in Otepää and International Conference on Non-violence and Conflict in
Tallinn, Estonia and agreed to release this joint statement.

We, the Karenni, Mon and Shan people who are  members of the Unrepresented
Nations and Peoples Organization ( UNPO ), are the real owners of the
territories that we have inhabited since immemorial time.

The Burmese occupation forces have brutally and cunningly colonized our
territories. In doing so, they have violated our rights to
self-determination, social, cultural and human rights.

Therefore, we strongly demand;

1. To immediately withdraw all the occupation forces from our territories.

2. To cease the exploitation of all our natural resources which are used in
suppressing and eliminating our     peoples.

3. To find national and political settlement and solutions through peaceful
means.

4. To respect the right of self-determination of all our peoples.

Ambassador
The Government of Karenni.

General Secretary
Mon Unity Leaguie.