Fax from Thai Bauer Co., Ltd. to TA

This fax was received today from Thai Bauer Co. Ltd. who have kindly
clarfied their relationship with yet another group of starving Burmese
workers building Bangkok's lovely 'Elevated Road and Train System Project'
in Rangsit, Bangkok (see tacdb@xxxxxxxxxx posting on the 19 Sep 1997
01:53:12). It's funny how all of these 'project sites' in Bangkok, where
hundreds of illegal Burmese workers are being exploited, are the sites that
are so crucial to the 13th Asia Games that Thailand will host in December
1998. There has been some controversy lately, over Thailand's ability to get
the work that is needed to be done, completed on time and under budget. That
Thailand cannot complete the sites on schedule even with the use of FREE
Burmese labour, is astonishing. Please refer to another posting by
tacdb@xxxxxxxxxx on the 31 Aug 1997 at 21:47:10 regarding workers being
exploited on the actual stadium site of the next Asian Games in Ramkhanheng,
Bangkok.

TACDB would like to clarify that our interests in this case is of the
well-being of the Burmese workers at one of Thai Bauer Co. Ltd's work sites
in Rangsit, Bangkok. We realise that the work has been sub-contracted out to
a local Thai company, who is legally responsible for the workers and that
Thai Bauer Co. Ltd, has no immediate legal obligations to the workers. The
question as to their moral obligations remains still, a question and one
that TACDB respectfully refrains from commenting upon.

While TACDB is pleased and reassured to know that Thai Bauer Co. Ltd. will
suspend all contracts with Angel Thai Co., Ltd. if the workers allegations
can be substatiated, it does not solve the problem of the workers wages and
daily survival needs. For those people who have contacted us with support
for the workers- thank you very much.

So, I guess that in closing, TACDB can firmly state (if we can firmly state
nothing else!) that the Burmese workers have no relationship to anyone and
that no-one is responsible for their well-being. Reassuring isn't it? It's
time to free Burma and really sort the problems facing Burmese in Thailand out.

Khin Pyu Win,
TACDB.
        __________________________

        Transcript of the original
        __________________________

TO :    TACDB                   FAX : 216 4463
ATTN :  KHIN PYU WIN
FROM :  MR. MIKE SINKINSON      FAX : 662 653 2075
cc. :   MR. ALLAN GOOD
DATE :  24th SEPTEMBER 1997     TOTAL NUMBER OF PAGES: 1
REF:    ANGEL THAI CO., LTD.

We enclose an unsigned fax herewith which purports to originate from your
goodselves.

Please be advised that Angel Thai Co. Ltd are a subcontracter engaged by
Thai Bauer Co., Ltd. under contract to execute certain works on the Bangkok
Elevated Road and Train System Project. We would confirm Angel Thai Co.,
Ltd. and their representatives are not in any way whatsoever 'agents' for
Thai Bauer Co., Ltd. and we have no knowledge or control over their business
operations.

As a reputable company, we must express our concerns at the allegations
brought to our attention in your fax and we give our assurances that these
allegations will be investigated by us, and if substantiated, will lead to
us cancelling all existing contracts placed with Angel Thai Co., Ltd.

We trust that you find the above clarifications in order and would advise
that you should elect to publish or circulate any document such as the
attached, which implies that Thai Bauer Co. Ltd, are responsible for, or in
any way associated with, the actions of Angel Thai Co. Ltd, we hereby
reserve our rights to prosecute you at law.

Assuring you of our best intentions,

Yours faithfully,
THAI BAUER CO., LTD.

Mike Sinkinson
Managing Director
Thai Action Committee for Democracy in Burma (TACDB),
328 Phayathai Road,
Rajthevee,
Bangkok 10400,
THAILAND.