REPORT ON KACHINLAND CHAPTER

THE 29TH WORLD LEAGUE FOR FRELDOM AND DEMOCRACY CONFERENCE WASHINGTON D.C.,
SEPTEMBER 26-29, 1997

	On this auspicious day of the 29th World League for Freedom and Denocracy
conference, I, as a representative of ethnic Kachin people of the Union of
Myanmar (Burma), greatly appreciate the privilege and honor to present the
situation in the Union of Myanmar to the world leaders who are striving for
world peace.

	For almost half a century, Myanmar has been ravaged by a civil war that
continues unabated. An armed solution "if successful",would have by this time
resulted in one or the other side succeeding militarily against the other
during this civil war. This no-win situation between the warring parties and
factions, has only devastted the nation, while the people remain thc ultimate
losers in this endless armed conflict. For this reason, Kachin independence
Organization (KIO) perceives that to achieve justice,9 human rights, peace,
democracy, and equal opportunities for the whole nation, now is the time for
everyone to have a conscience and for all concerned people of Myanmar to join
hands and to focus, in spiritual and intellectual reconciliation, on one
common direction for the betterment of all peoples as a nation.

	The KIO has previously attempted to jointly achieve the above objectives
with the other warring ethnic races. But, due to preconditions placed by
various organizations and alliances on such negotiations, the KIO was unable
to secure a joint consensus or agreement to participate together in such
negotiations. For this reason and from our own convictions, the KIO decided
to negotiate separately. Commencing in 1993, we conducted organization with
the SLORC on numerous occasions. These negotiations resulted in a cease-fire
agreement being entered into on the 24 February 1994 with SLORC. Following
the ceasefire agreement, close cooperation and friendship has achieved the
resettling of refugees, and the beginning of the development process in
Kachin State, along with all other matters as well. Similarly, most of other
ethnic nationality insurgent organizations have entered ceasefire with the
SLORC. Naturally, where there is civil war, there can be no human rig,hts,
peace and democracy. Only a nationwide ceasefire will lead to the peace
conditions necessarily to allow the nation to develop further.

	As a matter of fact, the 199l Nobel Peace Prize laureate, Daw Aung San Suu
Kyi, whose release on July 10, 1995 topped news headlines around the world
has announced her intention to continue political dialogue with the SLORC.
She said, "the aim of the SLORC is to return the power to the people. This is
exactly our aim as well and that SLORC Chairman Gen. Than Shwe stated that he
would like me to help achieve peace and stability in the ntation. -I intended
to help SLORC in every way so that we can return power to the people. This is
not only my intention. It is the intention of all who want democracy, and it
is obviously the intention of'SLORC. There is no hostility between me and
SLORC". However, for some reason. her original vision was altered to
accelerate the process of democratization thereby confronting with the SLORC
since then.

	This era marks the beginning of peace in several countries in South-east
Asia region. Some countries in this region including Myanmar are just
beginning to learn theself-responsibilities inherent in the foundations of
democracy. If we look at the democracy system in the west, we will see that
most Western countries have enjoyed independence for hundreds of years and
have established democratic systems of government for centuries. In such
systems. the people are taught since they are children the essence of
self-responsibility democracy and human rights. Consequently, they appreciate
and value the principles of democracy and human rights, which now most regard
as sacrosanct. For this reason, and arising from differenct realities,
western and Southeast Asian peoples view these concepts differently.

	Today, the situation in Myanmar and Cambodia are qyite similar in terms of
the political struggle amoung different groups. Under such circumstances, it
is extremely important ::hat only appropriate advice and support from the
outside world will restore peace to these warring neighbouring countries
rather than introducing a new hight-tech democratic process.

	Recently, ASEAN, the grouping of neighbouring Southeast Asian countries
granted Myanmar membership. It was because all the neihbouring countries have
good intentions for harmony and peaceful co-existence. They also want to
bring about the sa,ne level of economic development in the rgion. ASEAN
leaders deserve recognition for providing contructive assistance and adopting
a broad rninded attitude.

	Ladies and Gentlemen; in attendance at this conference today, are various
leaders from all over the world who desire world peace, and who are prepared
to personally work towards the achievement of peace and security
in the world. In the sense of world peace, M,yanmar forms an integral part of
such global strategy. We call upon you to support and to advise us in
achieving peace in iMyanmar as well as the whole region. Firstly, we will
need your sup,70rt on the establishment of  talks leading to a nationwide
ceasefire in Myanmar. The final step in this process will be nationwide peace
talks, which will include leaders of all political parties and revolutionary
forces in good faith.

	If the international community will be willing to co-assist us in this
regard, we believe that Myanmar will, within a a certain period of time
achieve a secure peace for all future generations of Myanmar. At the same
time, a secure peace in this region will take us one step closer to achieving
the goal of world peace.

*********