Burma France

The following AFP on Texaco (23.9.97), in French, appeared in the french
national Liberation newspaper. We pass it on (its small and was buried inside).

TODAY,Free Burma gets a boost, Friday, in Le Monde,
national french newspaper, with leader to full page inside story
on the freedom struggle in Burma citing forced labor, tourist boycott,
Total pipeline, and an interview with FIDH, the paris based League of
Human Rights (Federation International des Droits de l'Homme).

Excepts are printed below, in French, without accents.
There are three stories, with full top page lead headline "Le tourism en Birmanie est
remis en question par les Occidentaux" (Burma Tourism is put to question
by the West")

Its a fair story bringing french readers up to date on the struggle,
boycott movements, FBC campus activism. Why now? There is currently, in
that lovely beach town Deauville, a Travel and Tourist Show ('Top Resa')
with 12000 travel agents and company exhibitors inaugurated by French
Tourist minister Michelle Desmessine.

2nd story, an Interview with FIDH author Anne-Christine Habbard,author of the
SAIN/ERI inspired report on BURMA and TOTAL

3rd, a bar column story on Burma travellers, 'Travellers seized by doubt".

Anyone interested in these stories can contact EuroBurmanet now
<cd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> or find them soon on the website.

Check out the Tourist Boycott site at:
http://www-uvi.eunet.fr/asia/euro-burma/
Worldwide TOTAL Boycott