Information Sheet No. A-0145(I)

                    Information Sheet
                      *****************

No. A-0145(I)					 Date.27-9-97

(1)		Minister for Finance and Revenue Addresses 1997 World Bank/IMF Joint
Annual Meeting

		Myanmar delegation led by Minister for Finance and Revenue Brig-Gen Win Tin
attended the 1997 World Bank/International Monetary Fund (IMF) Joint Annual
Meeting held in  Hong Kong, the People?s Republic of China, from 23 to 25
September.

		The Minister delivered a statement at the meeting, attended by delegations
of 182 member countries, on 24 September.To cite a few paragraph from the
minister?s speech:-

		?In this context, I would like to point out that the Fund and the Bank were
established to provide financial and technical assistance to all member
countries based on economic consideration, irrespective of political
perspectives. In view of this, I would like to request that the Fund and the
Bank to avoid applying double standards and seriously reconsider all the
points I have made above, to help resolve the pressing needs of their member
country and extend tangible support to Myanmar.

		As a responsible member of ASEAN, we are ready to contribute positively
towards economic and political stability and harmony in the ASEAN family. By
the same token, we are also eager to lend our support and cooperation to the
Fund and Bank in their regular and special operations, particularly on issues
of concern to the developing countries as a group.?

(2)		Exim Bank of Thailand Will Grant $ 21.06 million to
		Myanmar Sutech Co Ltd

		Myanmar Sutech Co Ltd and Export Import Bank of Thailand signed an
agreement on a 21.06-million-dollar loan at the Ministry of Agriculture and
Irrigation on 26 Sept. Myanmar Sugarcane Enterprise and Sutech Engineering Co
Ltd & Associates of Thailand are jointly undertaking construction of
2,000-ton Nawade Sugar Mill near Mya Village, Pyay Township, Bago Division,
after forming Myanmar Sutech Co Ltd, a joint-venture company. The Ministry of
Agriculture and Irrigation plans to build 10 sugar mills in this year.

(3)		First Diversion Tunnel of Paunglaung Hydro-Electric Power Project
Completed

		Minister for Energy toured Paunglaung Hydro-Electric Power Project in
Pyinmana Township on 26 Sept. Minister said the completed diversion tunnel
was the first of its kind built with integrated technology in Myanmar. He
urged completion of the second diversion tunnel and other tasks as scheduled.

		Construction of two diversion tunnels, each 33 feet wide, 46 feet high and
3,300 feet long, begin in January last year. The first tunnel was completed
on 26 Sept. the Project is being implemented to generate 911 million kwh per
year from 280 mega-watt station.

(4)		Cooperatives hold seminar on production of natural fertilizers

		A seminar on cooperatives? production of natural fertilizers was held at
the Ministry of Cooperatives on 26 Sept morning, with an address by Minister
U Than Aung.

		The minister said production of natural fertilizers is crucial for the
agricultural sector as well as for environmental conservation. He said the
volume of natural fertilizers produced by cooperatives is increasing
gradually
in many countries, and he urged the participants to find ways and means for
quality control and marketability of natural fertilizers. Papers on
assessment of production of natural fertilizers in the country, commercial
production of natural fertilizers and marketing, meeting local demand, and
natural fertilizer production beneficial to the nation were presented and
discussed.

(5)		Asia Point Bowling Club Opens at Tharkayta Viewpoint Resort

		An inauguration ceremony of Asia Point Bowling Club jointly built by Parks
and Play Grounds Department of Yangon City Development Committee and Asia
Point at Tharkayta Viewpoint Resort was held there on 26 Sept.