Statement by NLD (LA) AUSTRALIA ON

Statement by NLD (LA) AUSTRALIA ON 18.9.97.

On 18.9.88, 9 years ago, the military has took the power again following
the example steps laid down by General Ne Win in 1962.  One of the reasons
for taking power was to restore law and order in Burma.  But one can see
that there is still no law and justice in Burma until now.  Lawlessness and
Injustice governs the country since then.  Every citizen lives in fear and
insecurity of one's own life.  It is the duty of every Burmese citizen to
strive for restoration of a democratic government which can guarantee
peace, justice, security and prosperity to its own citizen.

As the leader of the winning party in 1990 general election, Ms Aung San
Suu Kyi has called for reconciliation and negotiation with the ruling
military regime repeatedly.  In our view it is the only way to solve the
years-long national problems peacefully.  As long as SLORC has been trying
to hold on power and neglect the call for dialogues with the opposition
democratic forces, putting more pressure and taking punitive actions either
politically or economically must be imposed on it.

We would like to urge all democratic forces and activists to open up the
way for SLORC to enter the dialogue process with NLD, Democratic forces and
ethnic minorities groups.  But we must strongly warn the military regime
that any dialogue with anybody or any group without our leader, Ms Aung San
Suu Kyi, can not be defined as a genuine dialogue process.  For the
benefits of everybody concerned, we strongly demand the military regime in
Burma to immediately relinquish the power it clings to hold and solve the
national problems through reconciliation and negotiation processes.

National League for Democracy (Liberated Area) Australia