THAI BUSINESSES, REFUGEES AND SLORC

/* Written 5 Nov 12:00am 1997 by drunoo@xxxxxxxxxxxx in igc:reg.burma */
/* -------------" Thai Businesses, Refugees and SLORC "--------------- */

THAI BUSINESSES, REFUGEES AND SLORC
***********************************
While there appears to be a range of Thai business interests currently
within Burma - from Tourism Operations to Oil Explorations - our main
focus of concerns in relation to refugees are that of logging and fishing
ventures. The request has been sent to Royal Thai Government to raise the
issue of Burma's refugees at this UNGA, the siutation in Thailand as of
today is quite confusing because the current Prime Minister, General
Chavalit, is reportedly tendering his resignation. Nonetheless, our
concerns for refugees and the request to Royal Thai Government will
still stand.

GENERAL ASSEMBLY IS THE GOVERNMENTS' PLACE
One of the major difficulties in raising concerns for refugees at the UN
General Assembly has been the absence of an official avenue for refugees. To
my understandings, a legal framework to resolve the Burmese refugee problem
is unlikely to emerge if the Royal Thai Government do not make efforts to
raise this issue formally with the United Nations. The absence of such legal
framework may, again, leave the refugees in Thailand into a vicious circle
of neglect and oppression without the protection of UNHCR. The Royal Thai
Government, at all level, must be urged to raise the refugee issue at this
UN General Assembly. I certainly have sent my appeal to Thai Ministry of
Foreign Affairs and Thai Ambassador to the United Nations.

IMPLICATIONS OF THE PIPELINE
****************************
According to the Economist Intelligence Unit report (1st quarter -1997),
Thailand must pay a compensation of US$470 million to TOTAL Group if the
gas delivery is not made by mid-1998. It is of no doubt that the Royal
Thai Government in recent years was drawn into securing the pipeline; which
partly explain some of the RTG's treatment to Mon and Karen refugees around
the pipeline area.

Our principal concern regarding the gas-pipeline is the possibility of
large amount of money flowing into SLORC's coffer. The best solution, to my
opinion, in regards to this problem is the United Nations to seize the
monies and then use in refugee/humanitarian programmes in Burma.
In order to do this, the Thailand must firstly allow the UNHCR to protect
the Burma's refugees.

DOING POLITICS IS NOT ABOUT SIMPLY MAKING PROTESTS
Everyone has own interpretation about 'Doing politics' and the meaning of
'Unity in a political struggle'. In above mentioned situation of the sale
of natural gas to Thailand, the political struggle is to control
the flow of money to SLORC's coffer. If we can prevent the money going into
SLORC's coffer, it is a Plus(+) for our struggle. More, if we can divert
such money to the use of our people, it is a BIG PLUS(+ + +) for our
struggle. Of course, myself, just one of the individuals within the
movement, has only limited resource and influence. However, the Burma
democracy movement in overall spectrum - whilst still in need of much
consolidations - does have good influence to bring some positive results to
the struggle. The unity in politics means that the meaningful co-operation
between groups and individuals for the same cause/results. More
co-operation amongst groups and individuals are still much required.

With best regards, U Ne Oo.
/* Endreport */