INFORMATION SHEET No.A-0250 (I) (r)

At 02:05 AM 12/16/97, you wrote:
>                                             INFORMATION SHEET
>
>                                    No.A-0250 (I)                    16
>Dec.1997
>
>(1)		Special Course on Irrigation Opens
>		A special course on irrigation jointly organized by Japan International
>Cooperation Agency and Central Irrigation Technology Centre opened at the
>Irrigation Department (Head Office) in Kanbe, Yangon on 15 December. Experts
>of JICA and Central Irrigation Technology Centre will lecture on design,
>irrigation and tunnel technology. Altogether 54 trainees are attending the
>course which continues till 18 December.
>
>(2)		11th Seminar on Preservation and Conservation of Traditional
>		Manuscripts Held
>		The 11th Seminar on Preservation and Conservation of Traditional Manuscripts
>for the 21st Century ( SARBICA) sponsored by National Archives Department was
>held at International Business Centre on 15 December. Present were heads of
>departments, delegates of Indonesia, Malaysia, the Philippines, Singapore,
>Thailand and Vietnam, registrars of National Archives Department and experts.
>Chairman of National Ancient Manuscripts Preservation Commission retired
>Professor U Tun Aung Chain submitted paper on preservation of ancient
>manuscripts. Myanmar hosted the seminar for the first time. It continues till
>18 December.
>
>(3)		CSO Officials Leave for Thailand
>		Staff Officers ( Statistics) of the Central Statistical Organization,
>Ministry of National Planning and Economic Development, left Yangon by air on
>15 December for Thailand to attend the Training Course on Sample Design for
>Household and Establishment Surveys for Countries in Transition to be held in
>Bangkok organized by the United Nations Statistical Institute for Asia and the
>Pacific ( SIAP) and National Statistical Office (NSO), Thailand, from 15 to 24
>December.
>
>(4)		Illegal Drugs Seized
>		In Mandalay on 12 December due to a sting operation a total of (575) bottles
>of (phensyldal) cough syrup were seized from one Daw Annie Khine who was
>apprehended red-handed while doing the transaction. This cough syrup
>(phensyldal) is manufactured in India but banned in Myanmar for its codeine
>content ( A derivative of opium). Legal action will be taken against Daw Annie
>Khine  according to the Law.
>*********

Dear Ko  Okkar,

You have posted news about the amnesty order of  reducing  the sentences
for prisoners.
But there is no follow-up news. I doubt the NLM cover that too. Please
convey my message to the editors of NLM.  We like to know, whether
political prisoners could enjoy the order or not. We like to know how many
prisoners released or reduced their terms. May be the Generals are busy
and forget to activate  their order. Anyway, the order signed by the great
Senior General Than Shwe, Chairman of the SPDC should not be silenced
without trace.
Please explore and post the follow-up news.
U Thaung