Presidential Address

Presidential  Address  on  occasion  of  Golden  Jubilee of
Burma's Independence Day by Comrade Kyaw Than,
Vice-President. All Burma Students League.

First  of all  I would  like to  thank all  our friends for
giving  me  this privilege  to preside  over the  this very
occasion  of  golden  Jubilee  of  Burma  Independence Day.

Ladies  and  Gentlemen  and my  fellow  Students.   We have
gathered  here  on  celebration Golden  Jubilee  of Burma's
independence Day.  Jointly organize by Manipur Students and
exile  Burmese  students.  It  may be  small start,   but I
hellene  that the history will prove  it is a milestone for
the   future  relationship  between  the  two  communities.

Burma  and Manipur  share a  long history  of political and
social  ties.  We have developed through history,  cultural
and  social affinities  which bind  our people emotionally.
Apart  from  the  fundamental common  racial  roots  of our
people,   centuries of  political and  trade relations also
have  nurtured among our  people a bond  of love and mutual
respect.

As   a  part   of  the  bilateral   agreement  between  the
Government  of India and military junta in Burma,  in April
1995, they opened of border trade at Moreh without heck and
complications.   Burma's  ruling Junta  with  most peculiar
character made many unilateral orders end decision relating
to this border trade it cause to sabotaging the tranquility
and  analyze the this centuries old trade and the people in
people relationship.

However,   we dispointed  to larnt  that the  Government of
West Bengal, joint venture with the multi-national company.
Unicol  and Total to invest constructing gas pipe line from
gas  firm of Bay  of mataban Burma  which happened to gross
violation  of Human  Rights such  as forced  labor,  forced
relocation  in firm  based region.   It has  shown not only
total  negligence to Burmese people's sufferings and hamper
people  aspiration  for  democracy,   but  to  fuel  brutal
industrial of the betrayal junta.

Burma  as a most  potential country in  the Southeast Asia,
term  as rice bowl of the far east with the richest natural
resources.   Now listed in UN  designated the world's least
Development  Country  mismanagement  by  successes military
rulers.   People suffers  daily hardship  as the  result of
poverty, exploitation, threat, intimidation, illegal arrest
and detention, killing, forced labor and forced relocation.
It is cite to a conclusion that army interfere in the state
politic  have  not  only  deprived  the  country  but  also
undermine the civil liberty and human dignity.

While  the world's  leaders are working  for the betterment
of   their  people  and  countries  approaching  into  21st
century,  our people in this region are spoil each other by
killing  and eliminating. Afghanistan, Burma,. Cambodia and
east  Timor  are good  example  for that  case.  Naturally,
anti-people  junta have fear psychosis to face people power
and  depend on out side support to prolong their power with
the expense of the national interest.  Now,  junta become a
hegemonic  regime of China.  Unlike we gather here,  common
people  in Burma  have miss this  oppotunity to celebrating
golden  jubilee  occasion  in the  country  duo  to junta's
restriction on public assemble and even they alarming their
pervasive  Intelligent  network  to  vigilance  over people
movement.  Because, they realize that every public assemble
always  turn  in  antimilitary regime  and  treat  to their
power,.   Therefore we very thankful to members of AMSU and
people  of Manipur for giving  us oppotunity to celebrating
Golden Jubilee of our independence Day here.

We,   the students  and youth  of third  world have  a duty
bound  right to  involve state  affair particularly  in the
affairs  of  determine on  future of  the societies  and we
should  not vest our  future at the  hand of present ruling
elite, because we are real owner and creator. Otherwise, we
are  the driven force  of social changes  or revolutions in
every society.

Everyone  who love peace  and democracy have  moral duty to
join  and support to  any force who  fight against betrayal
dictatorship  which undermine human dignity.  It is need of
hour  to wipe out  military regime of  Burma which not only
deprived  its country  but also  threaten regional security
and integrity.

With  the our blood and sweat,  let construct a peace world
and   better   future   for   the   our   next  generation.

Thank you all.

************************( End )****************************

    |  A  B  S  L                         |
    |  All Burma Students League          |