Statement of ABYMU On Current Situa

Statement of ABYMU (Resistance Area) on Current Situation of Sanghas in Burma

1. During the 2nd week of December 1997, the military clique, the usurper
all the state powers, obstructed and barred, by various means, the Sanghas,
who had come from different parts of the country, from holding a Sangha
meeting scheduled to discuss the issues relating to:

(a) The loss of treasure enshrined in the Maha Myatmuni Buddha's image;
(a) The freedom to hold and take the religious examination of Sanghas;

(b) The release of Sanghas arrested and detained for participation in the
effort for human rights; and
(c) The interference  in and control of the State Sangha Maha Nayaka Board
(patron board) by the military clique.

2. In recent months, the military clique boldly went about committing
arrest of the Sanghas, sowing dissension among them and confiscating their
possessions, by force. All over the country, it arrested about 60 Sanghas
and executed, from among them,  one in the Arakan State and 2 in the Shan
State, prohibiting the religious rites and proper burial for the executed
Sanghas.

3. Moreover, the military clique destroyed 2254 monasteries in the Shan,
Karenni, Karen, Mon States and Tanessarim Division, and drove away by force
3630 Sanghas from them. These arbitrary and repressive acts, far from
restoring law and order, have further worsened the situation and the ABYMU
would like to warn that the SPDC military clique shall be held solely
responsible for them.

4. Though the military clique has changed its name from the SLORC to SPDC,
we see that there is no change in its essence and the evil military
dictatorship has remained firmly entrenched. For that reason, we, the ABYMU
would like to affirm that we will  strive on until the demands of the
Sanghas are achieved and aspirations of the entire people are fulfilled.

Central Leading Body
All-Burma Young Monks' Union
Resistance Area

 January 7, 1998