PPP:STATEMENT (English Version)

The statement People's Patriotic Party concerning the reforming of (PDP)
headed by Bo Aung Din.

PDP was a party founded by the late Prime Minister U NU in (1969). In
(1973), when (KNU) and other ethnic groups put up the federal issue, there
was a great split of opinion between U NU and most of the rest of the
central committee members of (PDP). U NU, who not only strongly denied the
federal issue, also refused to accept the paragraph written in the
constitution of (PDP), concerning the policy over national minorities,
which stated as follow:
 	"The (PDP) earnestly desire to work with the national minority groups,
either big or small closely, friendly and on equal status for the benefit
of the Union. We strongly believe that all national minorities and the
national states shall enjoy self-determination, self-rule and the right of
secession. In believing that the national minorities will be more eager to
stay in the Union rather than splitting from it, our party will firmly
strife for the creation of the federal Union of Burma. Our party will
strongly endeavor to the friendly and achieve co-operation with the
national groups such as Shans, Chins, Kachins, Karens, Kayas, Mons,
Rakhines and Burmese."
	When the disagreement reached at its summit, it was decided to settle by
casting of votes. In so doing, U NU was defeated and he accordingly
resigned from the party and went to India. From India he went back to Burma
during the time of amnesty issued by U NE WIN  (1980).
	In (1974) the party was led by the late vice chairman General Let Ya.
Having reformed the party with sound policy and rules, the name of the
party was changed from (PDP) to (PPP)[People's Patriotic Party] and from
than on (PDP) had disappeared from the political arena.
	Announcement by Bo Aung Din of the annual meeting of (PDP) was
unfortunately illegal because Bo Aung Din himself was never a member of
(PDP) nor (PPP). Therefore it can be assumed that the meeting was with a
secret aim. They also declared that they have over (25,000) party members
and elected (83) Central Committee members. It was dishonesty and sheer
bluff, clearly aiming at personal opportunity.
	Bo Aung Din also stated that he had talks with the (SLORC) three times and
will be having talks in future. All these proved that Bo Aung Din and his
so called (PDP) and its annual meting were no more than a monkey show for
begging some profits. We (PPP) clearly declare that we have no trust in Bo
Aung Din and his so called (PDP) and our party (PPP) has nothing to do with
it.

Central Committee
People's Patriotic Party
Dated : 18-1-1998