The BurmaNet News - 5 February, 199

------------------------------ BurmaNet -----------------------------
"Appropriate Information Technologies, Practical Strategies

The BurmaNet News, 5 February, 1998
Issue #928

Noted in passing:

"? to build a domestic family by marrying your own nationality; to use
domestic democracy suitable for your own country, tradition, and culture;
and to strive for the establishment and development of a new nation with
full faith in domestic products, domestic family, and domestic democracy."
(see MYANMAR ALIN: LOCAL PRODUCT USE URGED TO HELP)

HEADLINES:
==========
BKK POST: JUNTA DEFENDS DRUGS RECORD
AFTENPOSTEN: NORWAY IMPORTS MORE FROM BURMA
BKK POST: PIPELINE OPPONENTS FAIL TO MEET PROJECT
BKK POST: ARMY CHIEF PRESSES FOR A HEARING
THE NATION: PIPELINE WILL DECIDE FATE OF U.S. FINANCIAL
BURMA TODAY: GIVE NOT MONEY, BUT HEART
MYANMAR ALIN: LOCAL PRODUCT USE URGED TO HELP
NLM: TAWWIN TRAVEL CO LTD WINS 1998 INTERNATIONAL
NLM: OVER 41,709 ACRES OF POPPY FIELDS DESTROYED IN

SHAN HUMAN RIGHTS FOUNDATION: MONTHLY REPORT
SHAN: UWSA'S SITUATION
KNU: HUMAN RIGHTS SITUATION REPORT 5/98
ABSDF (Western Burma): INDO-BURMA BORDER NEWS

Announcements:
PIPELINE MOTIVE IN ARREST OF BURMESE STUDENTS
EURO BURMA OFFICE: HOBO REIZEN CANCELS BURMA VISITS
DEMOCRATIC BURMESE STUDENTS ORGANIZATION (USA)
FREE BURMA COALITION, AUSTRALIA: LETTER TO
----

BKK POST: JUNTA DEFENDS DRUGS RECORD

'COLONIALISTS' ARE TO BLAME, SAYS GENERAL

RANGOON, AFP - The military junta has lashed out at  "certain
Western nations" for criticising its drugs record, despite. what it
called its success in restricting the narcotics trade, reports said
yesterday.

State Peace and Development Council (SPDC) First Secretary
Lieutenant-General Khin Nyunt said Western countries continued to
blame Burma for much of the world's drugs traffic, even though
they were themselves partly to blame.

"Although Myanmar [Burma] fell victim to the evil legacy of
drugs, due to the colonialist exploitation, certain big nations
are shouting otherwise," Khin Nyunt was quoted as saying in the
state-run New Light of Myanmar newspaper.

He said Western countries not named in the report - had ignored
Burma's efforts to bring its drug lords to justice.

Addressing a special meeting of the Central Committee for Drug
Abuse Control on Monday, Khin Nyunt said there had been a
considerable drop in drug abuse in Burma in recent years.

He said the ruling council had cooperated with international
organisations and negotiated the surrender in 1996 of infamous
drug king Khun Sa, who now lives in Rangoon under government
supervision..

"Still, certain Western nations are ignoring such positive
developments in Myanmar, and instead they are making false
accusations against the country," he said.

He urged Burmese officials to work harder at publicising their
efforts to stamp out drugs abuse and smuggling.

AFTENPOSTEN: NORWAY IMPORTS MORE FROM BURMA
19 December, 1998 [translated from Norwegian]

This year (1997), we have imported more from Burma compared to last year.
>From January to November, goods worth NOK 10,1 million were imported. A lot
of the imports are wooden products.

490 m3 wood worth NOK 6,9 million constituted the largest part of the
imports. In addition, we also imported, among other things, cotton shirts
for NOK1, 1 million and furniture worth NOK 1,3 million, show the figures
from the Central Bureau of Statistics.

>From January to November last year (1996) we imported goods for NOK 8,4
million from Burma. This means that the total import from January to
November this year increased by 20,2% compared to the same period last year.

The only products we exported to Burma this year, were armoured safes for
NOK 1,1 million.

The Norwegian government has urged Norwegian companies not to deal with Burma.

Burma is one of the world's worst military regimes, Prime Minister Kjell
Magne Bondevik said in November.

According to Mr. Bondevik only a few Norwegian companies trade with Burma,
mostly for teak.

BKK POST: PIPELINE OPPONENTS FAIL TO MEET PROJECT SUPPORTERS

KANCHANABURI - Representatives of conservation groups opposing
the- Thai-Burmese gas pipeline yesterday failed to appear at a meeting with
project supporters to discuss their differences.

Kanchanaburi Governor Direk Uthaipol announced during the mass
rally by supporters of the project in the province a fortnight
ago that he would arrange for opponents and supporters of the gas
pipeline to meet and discuss the conflict.

But none of the opponents showed up at the meeting in which only
the supporters and PTT representatives attended. The supporters
include the local chamber of commerce, groups of farmers,
industrialists and kamnan and village chiefs.

Boonsong Chansongrussamee, leader of the Kanchanaburi
Conservation Group, said they did not want to join meeting at the
local level because no one could make a decision on the project.

His groups preferred-to communicate directly with the government
which reportedly has set up a committee comprising ministries in
charge of the project.

He submitted a letter to inform the governor about the groups's
rejection of the appointment early in the week.

BKK POST: ARMY CHIEF PRESSES FOR A HEARING
by Wasana Nanuam

BLAMING DISPUTE ON PTT'S PR FAILURE

Army Commander-in-Chief Gen 'Chettha  Thanajaro is pressing for a
public hearing on  the controversial Yadana gas pipeline project
to end a stand-off between conservationists  and pipeline
supporters.

Gen Chettha'said he agreed with a  proposal that the government
hold a hearing  on the Petroleum Authority of Thailand's  laying
of the Yadana gas pipeline through  forest in Kanchanaburi as he
thought both  pipeline protesters and supporters had good
intentions towards the country.

"To solve the problem, a public hearing should be held.
Conservationists want to conserve forests and wild animals,
while the  other side looks at things in the long term and  wants
us to have energy to use. More importantly, a contract was made
and is due  for expiry in the next few months," he said.

He said the problem was caused by the PTT's failure to bring
about public  understanding of the project through public
relations.

Gen Chettha insisted that military forces sent to the
construction site did not take anyone's side and would not use
violence  against the protesters but protect the area  from
threats by outsiders or those wanting to incite chaos.

THE NATION: PIPELINE WILL DECIDE FATE OF US FINANCIAL SUPPORT
Letter to the Editor

A senior US administration official recently stated that "it's
going to be an  enormously tough fight" for  congressional
passage of US$18 billion  in new American contributions to the
IMF. These funds will be needed to fund future economic
emergencies in countries like Thailand.

Two powerful groups oppose this IMF bill. Liberal Democrats who are
concerned about environmental standards and labour rights oppose this
bill  on the grounds that IMF bail-outs are  designed to subsidise bad
government and  crony capitalism at the expense of labour  rights
and the environment. Conservative Republicans oppose IMF
funding due to,  their belief that the market, rather than the
IMF, should resolve Asia's economic problems. You need 218 votes
in the US  Congress (assuming everyone votes), and the  Clinton
Administration so far has only 150 votes, to pass the IMF
legislation.

It will be an uphill battle for the Clinton Administration to secure the
additional 75  votes needed to pass this legislation. What would
complicate and perhaps cripple the Clinton Administration's efforts to help
Asia would be pictures and videotapes of PTT bulldozers attacking
environmentalists trying to protect the national parks and  protected
forests in Thailand.

The  PTT-Unocal death gas pipeline  will determine the economic
future of  both  Burma and Thailand.

MYINT THEIN
DALLAS, TEXAS

BURMA TODAY: GIVE NOT MONEY, BUT HEART
29 January, 1998 (No. 4)
by Yukio Hatoyama

Monthly column

Myanmar's entrance into ASEAN in July 1997 and the change of the name
from SLORC (State Law and Order Restoration Council) to SPDC (State
Peace and Development Council) in November 1997 gave us hope that
Myanmar would move toward democracy. We hoped that through dialogue with
ASEAN countries, Myanmar would recognize the validity of democracy
rather than iron control. We also hoped that the change of their name
contained the reexamination of their policies. So far, however, the
military junta has shown no sign of the change in their policy. Instead,
at the end of last year, the junta requested the NLD to stop their
conference and political activities because a UN envoy was scheduled
visit to Yangon. Judging from the junta's pattern of conduct in the
past, this request could very possibly be a sign of upcoming mass
arrests.

I myself twice applied for visas to visit Myanmar. There has been no
reply from the Myanmar embassy, however, so I have had no chance to
visit Yangon. It seems that the military junta will not welcome visits
by someone like myself who is a member of the Myanmar Democratization
League, composed of Japanese Diet members, and PD Burma.

The junta only accepts those who are willing to invest or grant aid,
and refuses those who are seeking political dialogue. This attitude
cannot last long. The junta changed the name of the nation from Burma to
Myanmar. It is said that they wanted to emphasize that the nation is
formed not only by Burmans, but by over one hundred ethnicities.
In this context, the change of the name of the nation is a good sign.
The military junta, however, has not put into practice the substance of
the change. It has forced the surrender of minority armies under the
guise of cease-fires and has subsequently deployed its national army.
The junta is also suppressing freedom of expression, especially that of
the NLD and others who advocate democracy. One cannot help but be
skeptical and wonder if the junta's move towards inclusiveness is only
in name and not in practice, consistent with its past pattern of
behaviour.

Japanese policy toward Burma is known by the unusual name, "the north
wind and the sun." The name was taken from the Aesop fable, "The sun is
mightier than the north wind." Japanese economic aid to Burma has often
been likened to the sun.

Japan has not granted large scale aid toward Myanmar, but it continues
small scale aid such as agricultural equipment, fertilizer, and medical
equipment. Recent news shows that it is very hard to get gasoline in
Yangon because of the inflation of prices. Are the farmers living in
rural areas able to get gasoline to fuel their agricultural equipment?
Can precise medical equipment actually be used considering the frequent
shortage of electricity? Employing agricultural equipment and medical
equipment brings significant changes to the local areas and introduces a
new system.

When the equipment runs down, do people have access to the necessary
funds to purchase other equipment? Without new machines, the new system
cannot be maintained. It is possible that the alms from the sun will
only be a short flare. If this happens, the aid from Japan will be
ridiculed. It will not be "the north wind and the sun" but "the north
wind and the candle."

I think Burmese farmers would much prefer that a healthy and able son
conscripted by the junta be returned home than to receive a tractor. A
mother with a sick child would prefer nutritious milk than an ultrasonic
diagnosis machine. Asian countries have been seeking economic stability
and indeed they have achieved significant economic growth. But last
year, they had to face one financial crisis after another. Japan is no
exception. There is a common reason for this failure. Asian countries
have sought only the expansion of wealth and have forgotten to develop
the means for a better life suited for their nation and people. The
false management of national economies has led to many bad debts in
their financial markets.

It has become clear that in general, Asian nations have been
continuously borrowing sums of money far exceeding their own financial
ability. The establishment of basic standards of living and human rights
are more important than the expansion of wealth. More than material
wealth, people need a society in which they can make a stable living and
in which their children are able to choose their own future. There are
so many things that Asian countries need to achieve before seeking the
simple expansion of wealth. Asian countries must move more slowly and
must conserve natural resources.

Myanmar has been using its limited budget for armaments and attracting
foreign investment. The junta has also been closing its educational
facilities and suppressing the freedom of speech in the name of
stability. It seems to forget the investment in people's health and
education as well as in the conservation of natural resources. By the
time the junta achieves the stability it so desires, there will be
neither natural nor human resources left in the nation.

Japan was controlled by a military dictatorship until fifty years ago.
What Japan brought neighbouring countries at that time was not peace,
but destruction. In Burma, Japan left behind the Burmese National Army
as its younger brother. All Japanese are well aware that the military is
not the organization which should wield the reigns of power. Japan has
learned that those who lead a nation must be a civilian controlled
government chosen in free and fair democratic elections.

It is Japan's responsibility to share this lesson with the people of
Myanmar to help bring peace and stability to the nation. The sunlight
from Japan must contribute positively to Myanmar's development and its
future for many years to come. Japan must assist the military in taking
the courageous steps necessary to transfer the power to a civilian
government, to create a society in which the children of Myanmar can
study freely and choose the paths to their future dreams, and to
conserve Myanmar's natural resources for future generations.

Yukio Hatoyama
Secretary General of the Democratic Party of Japan
Member of the House of Representatives.

MYANMAR ALIN: LOCAL PRODUCT USE URGED TO HELP ECONOMY
29 January, 1998 [translated from Burmese, abridged]
by Pauk Sa

Patriotism originates from locally-manufactured goods

I, Pauk Sa, nowadays tend to sing out loud an old song of Daw Aung
Than Tin called "domestic product" which I was familiar with when I was a
kid.  [passage omitted on lyrics] I, Pauk Sa, am singing that song now
because it is so compatible with the present day national slogan of doing
things on a self-help basis

Well, the song "domestic product" has a great tradition.  Back in
1919, members of the Burmese Maiden Association led by Daw Hla May-the wife
of the late martyr and national leader Deedok U Ba Cho--wearing pinni
jackets and yaw sarongs [both locally produced fabrics], urged people to
use domestic products as part of their organizational activities.  Similar
attire is also worn at present but the problem is that people don't think
of applying local democracy which is compatible with the nature of the
country, people, culture, tradition, and discipline rather than craving for
foreign-made Western democracy.  Let it be.
As the Burmese Maiden Association continued to promote the use of local
products they, on the other hand, were calling on Burmese ladies to refrain
from marrying
foreigners so they wouldn't lose their inheritance and religious rights and
urged them to marry Burmese Buddhist men instead.  In other words, they
were encouraging Burmese ladies to marry their own kind and have a
domestic, local family.

As I, Pauk Sa, recall, in 1919-20 the Danathukha Women's Association
formed by Daw Kyin Ein called for the use of domestic products and to be
economical.  While Daw Daw Su-led Konmayee Association was planning to protest
the existence of an English war cemetery on the southeast corner of the
Shwedagon Pagoda premises, the British Government relocated the cemetery to
avoid embarrassment.  Well, in my era too, some ladies do wear pinni
jackets and yaw sarongs publicly but behind the curtains they relish
foreign chocolates and toiletries received via the embassy while at the
same time criticizing the Shwedagon Pagoda renovation work which was
carried out to replace the remnants of the British legacy.  [passage
omitted on patriotism]

Referring to history, I, Pauk Sa, can say: "the idea of
anti-colonialist struggle began with the domestic product."  It could be
interpreted in another way: "patriotism began with the domestic product."
At present too those who look carefully can clearly see that the people of
Myanmar [Burma] are striving to establish a peaceful, modern, and developed
nation through the united forces and combined resources from within.
[passage omitted explaining achievements, economic sanctions]

Well, as I, Pauk Sa, and most of you are aware, some Southeast Asian
nations are now facing a severe financial crisis because of speculative
currency attacks by a big financier from a large nation who could have done
it as a past time or deliberately out of spite against some Southeast Asian
countries.  Economic enterprises have also been affected by the crisis and
the governments of these Southeast Asian countries have launched campaigns
urging their citizens to use locally-manufactured products.  People have
joined hands with the governments to solve the financial crisis and
economic hardships.

In Pauk Sa's country the State Peace and Development Council [SPDC] is
leading the way and making all out efforts to build a new, modern, and
developed nation with increased momentum.  At this stage when
nation-building endeavors should be quickly materialized the people's use
of domestic products prevents the drainage of foreign exchange and cuts
unnecessary spending of foreign currency.  Pauk Sa's beloved country which
has encountered an era of disintegration of national solidarity with the
emergence
of internal strife caused by the divide and rule tactic--the evil
legacy of the British Imperialists--has retarded national development.  All
nationalities of armed groups except for some factions of the Karen armed
group have made peace with the government.  National unity has been
achieved and they are participating in regional development activities.
According to Pauk Sa's understanding, at a time when the SPDC is
striving to establish a peaceful, modern, and developed nation, the Myanmar
people, including Pauk Sa, should only use local products and participate
in government endeavors to express their patriotism, thus preventing the
wasting of foreign exchange, increasing the nation's economic development,
and making the country more competitive.  If you are unclear about the
point I am presenting here, well then, it has become my duty to explain a
little further.

Well, when we export our rice, agriculture products, forestry
products, timber, and other natural resources we acquire foreign exchange.
Services also get foreign exchange.  The acquired foreign exchange should
be utilized for necessary, important, and essential matters.  If the
foreign exchange is used to import locally-available products from abroad
citing inferiority of local products or importing non-essential luxury
items and products it amounts to squandering hard-earned foreign exchange.

When such things occur it will become like collecting eatables with a
bag which has a hole in it and resembles a big family getting poorer
because the expenditure exceeds the income.  When poverty strikes you
resort to taking loans for your survival.  You are then indebted to your
loan shark and inadvertently become his slave.

The way to avoid this scenario is for a family or a country to try to
stand on its own feet and develop itself.  Pauk Sa is not exaggerating.
The idea of anti-colonialist struggle started with the use of domestic
products.  Our patriotic forefathers, to spread the patriotic and
nationalistic spirit, organized and urged the use of local products and to
marry your own people to create a local family.

I, Pauk Sa, am singing aloud the song "domestic product" to urge
people to use domestic products and reduce use of foreign exchange for the
economic development of the country; to build a domestic family by marrying
your own nationality; to use domestic democracy suitable for your own
country, tradition, and culture; and to strive for the establishment and
development of a new nation with full faith in domestic products, domestic
family, and domestic democracy.

Yes, "Patriotism originates from locally-manufactured goods".

NLM: TAWWIN TRAVEL CO LTD WINS 1998 INTERNATIONAL AWARD FOR TOURIST, HOTEL
AND CATERING INDUSTRY

YANGON, 3 Feb - Tawwin Travel Company Ltd of Myanmar won the 1998
International Award for Tourist, Hotel and Catering Industry of Spain.

The award was jointly presented by Trade Leaders Club founded by
businessmen from 120 nations and Mercado Mundial, the 35year-old economic
media magazine of Spain, after scrutinizing travel companies all over the
world.

Managing Director Daw Rita Myint and Director U Tin Win of Tawwin arrived
back here from Spain yesterday after attending the award presenting
ceremony in Madrid.

The Ministry of Hotels and Tourism is making endeavours for promotion of
hotel and tourism industry of the country with the cooperation of private
entrepreneurs.

NLM: OVER 41,709 ACRES OF POPPY FIELDS DESTROYED IN SHAN STATE
4 February, 1998  )

YANGON, 3 Feb - A total of 16,149.443 acres of poppy fields were destroyed
in Shan State (South) and Shan State (North) from 16 December 1997 to 22
January 1998.

Led by Tatmadaw columns discharging security duties in the areas,
departmental personnel, regional people and members of Myanmar Police Force
destoryed 14 ,735 353 acres in Hsenwi, Kutkai, Hopang, Kunlong and Tanyang
townships and Laukkai and Mongko regions in NorthEast Command area during
the period.

They also destroyed 1,41409 acres in Panglong, Phekhon, Mognai, Namhsan,
Langkho, Mongpang, Laikha, Mongkai, Konhein and Monghsu in Eastern Command
area.

Tatmadaw columns destroyed 25,560.224 acres of poppy fields from 6 November
1997 to 5 January 1998. The columns have destroyed 41,709.667 acres of
poppy fields up to 22 January 1998.

The combined forces led by Tatmadaw columns are destroying poppy fields in
Shan State with greater momentum.

SHAN HUMAN RIGHTS FOUNDATION: MONTHLY REPORT

FARMERS WILL STILL BE FORCED TO SELL THEIR RICE PADDY

On 15.12.97, the commander of Murng-Ton-based SPDC Infantry Battalion No.
65 Lt. Col. Swe Myint (a) Hla Myint issued a notice that in 1998 SPDC would
buy rice paddy from the farmers on the ratio of 27 tins (1 tin is about 20
litres) per acre, at the rate of 15Ks per tin - (the current market price is
35-40Ks per tin).  According to the statistics of SPDC, there are 1858 acres
of rice fields in Murng-Ton.  Farmers who could not produce enough paddy or
produced different kinds of paddy (e.g. sticky rice) rather than the one
required by SPDC would have to buy from other farmers and resell it.

The rice fields of those who refused or failed to sell according to their
quotas would be confiscated by SPDC and people from lowland Burma would be
brought up to cultivate them.

It is said that similar notices have also been issued in several other
townships:

1.  	Murng-Pan
2.	Larng-Khur
3.	Murng-Nai (Kaeng-Tawng)
4.	Nam-Zarng
5.	Lai-Kha
6.	Murng-Kerng
7.	Kae-See
8.	Kun-Hing
9.	Loi-Lem (Parng-Long)

Economic Situation in Kun-Hing Town

On 20.12.97, SPDC (formerly SLORC) authorities in Kun-Hing issued a notice
that starting from 1.1.98 they would levy taxes on shops and vehicles on a
monthly basis.  A small shop selling small and inexpensive things would be
taxed 1000 Ks per month, while a medium-sized shop would be taxed
10,000-15,000Ks.  A big shop with various goods and commodities would be
taxed 25,000-30,000Ks.  Each vehicle would be taxed 3,000-5,000Ks per month.

This has caused some anxiety among the shop and car owners in town and some
have already started thinking of moving to other big towns like Tawngyyi
(Taunggyi)
and Kaeng-tung to avoid it.

The SLORC authorities have also restricted the citizens of Kun-Hing not to
trade in Chinese goods worth over 1,000 Ks because it affects the sales of
the Chinese stores set up by Chinese entrepreneurs from China.  It has
become more and more difficult for the people to make a living as traders
nowadays because there is virtually no profit trading in Thai goods and the
Chinese goods that give them some profits have been restricted, complained
a local trader.

Shan Human Rights Foundation
Monthly Report - January 1998

SHAN: UWSA'S SITUATION

The situation of UWSA's 361st Brigade - "Wa" ceasefire group
(Southern Command)

 Since late December 1997, the 361st Brigade of UWSA ceasefire group
stationed at Loi Sarm Sao and Loilem near the border with Thailand has
again been pressed by SPDC to withdraw to their northern stronghold of
Parng Sarng or surrender to Slorc in early 1996. Towards the end of 1996,
Slorc's Chairman-2 Maung Aye had once personally warned them that they had
only 2 options -- retreat to Parng Sarng or surrender. At that time, the
situation of their relation had become so tense that both sides were
preparing for a showdown, and there had actually been a few skirmishes here
and there. In the end, however, UWSA managed to strike a bargain with Slorc
to allow them to stay on the border for another year -- until the end of 1998.

A more or less similar situation is in place at the moment. After
warning the UWSA since 18-19 December 1997, SPDC has been deploying its
troops all over the former MTA strongholds in Loi Larng and Murng Yawn
areas. At the same time, according to a reliable source, SPDC authorities
have been attempting to win over the commander of the UWSA southern command
"Wei Xiao Kang" by promising to award him land, the best housing and cars
in the city of Rangoon (Yangon) if he surrenders; his status would not be
lower than that of Khun Sa and all the business enterprises he would like
to deal in would be opened to him and facilitated by SPDC, just as they
have done for Lo Hsing Han, Khun Sa, Khun Seng and Peng Jia-sheng.

Shortly after that, news came out that "Wei Xiao Kang" had actually
gone to Rangoon and, on 27 December 1997, had flown from Rangoon to
Murng-Sart together with the Chairman of UWSA "Pao Ru Chang" (Ta Parng) and
the Chief-of-Staff "Li Zhi Ru". Following that, UWSA officers in the Loi
Sam Sao area, including Maj. "Yi Kat", came by 14 four-wheel-drive trucks
from the Mai Sarng stronghold to Murng-Sart to fetch them to Loi Sam Sao to
hold a meeting. Though the result of the meeting was not disclosed, 2-3
days later, when the top UWSA leaders returned to Parng Sarng, "Wei Xiao
Kang" also went with them.

It is said that, the 361st Brigade that has its base at Loi Sam Sao
has been economically independent of Parng Sarng headquarters since "Wei
Xiao Kang", "LiDeng Kou" and "Ta Prang" could stand on their own feet and
take logistical responsibilities; and since it has to be flexible enough to
play a game of survival between Slorc and Thailand, it mostly does not
follow the directives and policies of Parng Sarng headquarters. It was
lately known that it has been permitted by SPDC to continue to hold its
border stronghold.

Since around mid-1996, it seems to have had a rather different
policy with regard to drug trifficking than the northern Wa command,
especially on small-scale trafficking. It has strictly banned and
cracked-down on many small-scale traffickers in its territory, probably an
attempt to project a good image and avoid being accused of dealing in
drugs.

In late November 1997, when "Ta Kat" -- a battalion commander under
"Li Zhi Ru" -- in Murng Ngen (west of Keng-Tung) sent his trading partner
with a small convoy of amphetamines towards the Thai border via the areas
of Murng-Toom and Murng-Karn, UWSA troops at Loi Sam Sao got the news and
11 men of 361st Brigade went from the Lahu village of Kyamo-Kyasee near the
Mai Sarng stronghold and intercepted the convoy -- and seized 3,700,000
tablets of amphetamine.

Not long after the incident, Parng Sarng headquarters sent a
message summoning "Ta Kat" to Parng Sarng to explain about it. But "Ta Kat"
did not respond nor go to Parng Sarng and has stubbornly continue to stay
on in Murng Ngen up to the present. He seems to be very angry about the
seizure of his property because Parng Sarng has made no attempt to
intercede, despite his earnest request. SPDC's "Intelligence" people also
got this news and even told the Parng Sarng group that "Ta Kat" and his men
in Murng Ngen had a secret plan to defect from UWSA and join the SURA [now
renamed SSA (Southern Command)], east of the Salween river, under the
command of Lurn Sai and Phar Murng.

In early January 1998, the 361st Brigade called back their liaison
officer "Ai Leng" from Tachilek and have imprisoned him at Loi Sam Sao
under the charge of drug trafficking up until now.

Whether the case of "Sara Pao", a liaison officer of UWSA who had
been assassinated in Chiangmai on the night of 7 January 1998 at the
wedding reception of a daughter of Maha Sarng (Chairman of WNO/WNA),
has anything to do with this is still anybody's guess.

Shan Herald Agency for News
14.01.98

KNU: HUMAN RIGHTS SITUATION REPORT 5/98
29 January, 1998 [slightly abridged]

Thaton district, Bilin township

On 12-12-97, soldiers from LIB(96) entered Khaw Htee Kee village.
They arrested Maung Win tin, 40 year, and took him to Paw Khee
village. They killed him there. On the same day, they also arrested
Kyaw Lin, 30 year, and severely tortured him.

LIB(36) commander Kyaw Shwe and company commander captain Nay Win Soe
entered Eeh Su Khee village on 28-12-97 and tortured the
villagers. They beat them and put cloth sacks over their heads and
then poured water on them. As a result of this, many villagers have
fled with their families.

On 3-1-98, LiB 2 of LID 44 shot to death Saw Maung Nga, 30 year, at
Baw Naw Nee village in the M'kwee Koh area. When they searched him,
they only found a slingshot and some mud pellets.

Taungoo District, Taw Ta Htoo(Tantabin) township

Four companies (about 400 men) of LIR(710) arrived at Kler Lah
(Bawgali) village on 7-1-98 in 10 trucks carrying rations. On the
next day, they forced the Kler Lah villagers to be porters and carry
the rations to Kaw Thay Der village. They expected to reach See Kher
Der village on the first day.

On 8-1-97, LIB 39 stationed in Kaw Thay Der village, shot to death
Saw Lu Lu, 22 years.

On 14-1-98, LIR 708 arrived at Klay Soe Khee village. Before
entering the village, the soldiers fired their weapons at the
village. After the villagers had all fled, the soldiers entered the
empty village and looted it.

When these same soldiers were returning to Kler Lah, they took along
one woman, her two children, and a man from an unidentified village.
The soldiers announced that they had killed the woman's husband and
son.

Beginning in December 1997, Tactical commander 2, Lt.Col. Thein Maung
and LIR 707 battalion commander Aung Hein Mya and LIB 39 battalion
commander Myo Lwin commandeered two cars from Kaw Thay Der and Kler Lah.
The two cars have been used to carry things for construction on
the Boo Sa Khee to Kler Lah road and go along with the bulldozers.
The two cars have not been returned after one month. LIB 39 Battalion
commander Myo Lwin and TOC commander Thein Maung again commandeered two
cars from Kler Lah on 14-1-98. These were used to carry rations to Kaw Thay
Der. Again on 16-1-98, a car was commandeered from Kler Lah and ordered to
carry rice to Kaw Thay Der. Another car was taken on 19-1-98.

On 6-1-98, LIR 710 commander Thein Htun and LIB 39 commander Myo
Lwin conscripted villagers to be porters. They have not been released
get. Some have escaped because they were not given any food. The
village head was told that if any villagers escape, he must pay
30,000 kyat to Burmese troops.

The troops in this area have also been taking money and goods such
as dried fish from the villagers. The soldiers have denied the
villagers permission to mill their rice or to take it to Taungoo. If
the soldiers see people trying to take their rice to Taungoo, then
they will take it.

Thandaung township

On 12-1-98, LIB 540, column commander Kyee Win entered Der Doh
village with his soldiers. When they Saw three houses in the cardamom
plantation, they burned them down. The soldiers said the houses were
the homes of insurgents, so they must be burned down. Together, the
houses were worth 150,000 kyat. The soldiers also took some of the
pigs, ducks, chickens, fish paste, salt, rice and dogs to eat. They
didn't pay for anything.

On the same day, these same troops arrested Der Doh villager Saw Kwe
Htoo, age 25. They accused him of being a rebel and severely tortured
him.

Mu Traw district

On 31-12-97, a villager from Htee Doh Hta village, Saw Pah Thoo was
arrested by LIB 19 column deputy commander Tin Way and his soldiers
based in Mae Paw Mu Hta. He was on his way back to his village after
selling things in Mae Sam Laep. They took all of his money, 7375
baht and let him ago. On the same day, these soldiers shot and
injured a woman, Naw Doh Htoo, from Mae Paw Muh Hta village.

>From 26-12-97 to 4-1-98, LIR 701,703,704 and 706 entered villages in the
P'na Aye Per Koh , Hser Hta and Paw Khaw Kee areas, burning down 91 houses.
The Burmese soldiers also ate the villagers' pigs, ducks, goats, and
buffaloes

ABSDF (Western Burma): INDO-BURMA BORDER NEWS
1 February, 1998 [English slightly corrected]

Car drivers brutally beaten by military officers

Major Kyi Lin of Burma Regiment No. (87) posted at Mintha military post,
sharply scolded and brutally beat the drivers because he disliked them for
borrowing a match from a lady schoolteacher. He kicked the drivers with
a jungle boot in the heads, faces and chests and then beat them with the
brick inhumanely. Then he pointed with barrel of pistol to the head of Ko
Htay Aung and triggered beside the ear to frighten after telling " You the
drivers low standard guys are unfit to barrow a match from such a
respected teacher."

Ko Zaw Moe Aung collapsed on the spot due to being severely beaten. Ko Htay
Aung was sutured with 9 stitches on the scalp and eyebrow and he was not
able to stand for a week.

Major Kyi Lin jealously beat the drivers because that teacher is his
sweet heart. Although the car drivers complained to M I (17) of
Tamu, no action is taken against that major so far.

Sent by- Boundary Pillars (Indo-Burma border)

ANNOUCEMENTS:

PIPELINE MOTIVE IN ARREST OF BURMESE STUDENTS

PIPELINE MOTIVE IN ARREST OF BURMESE STUDENTS,
"RELEASED" STUDENTS STILL IN JAIL

Bangkok: The nine Burmese students arrested at Ramkamhaeng University
on January 22 were targeted because they were suspected of attending a
meeting with Thai activists concerning the gas pipeline project. The
arrests were made, apparently at the instigation of Thai intelligence.
It is not known if this operation was carried out in cooperation with
PTT, UNOCAL, or the Burmese military regime.

Two of the students considered by officials to be "released" because
they had safe area passes and were therefore legally in Bangkok, have
now been charged as "illegal" and are being detained at Hua Mark
police station.  Six other colleagues, who were fined 6,000 baht each
and sentenced to 3 months jail in Pratum Thani prison, are still being
held at the same police lock-up.

Activists are deeply  concerned for the well-being of Nyein Moe and
his wife Khin Khin (NI No. 9474) as he has been prominent in several
protests held in Bangkok against Burma's military junta.

The students holding safe area passes for Jan. 20 -25 were detained on
purpose by  police until their passes expired. They were then brought
before court on January 30 to be charged as illegals.

Please protest at the human rights violations by security forces
acting for business interests. Please petition your closest Thai diplomatic
mission NOW to protest this outrage.

Please send your message via e-mail to: <govspkmn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Send urgent faxes to:
His Excellency Chuan Leekpai
Prime Minister of Thailand
Fax +662-2801443
Fax +662-2812536
Fax +662-2825131
-----

EURO BURMA OFFICE: HOBO REIZEN CANCELS BURMA VISITS

Burma is no longer listed as one of the destinations in the Hobo Reizen
1998 brochure. With nine trips scheduled in 1997 Hobo Reizen was one of
Belgian's most important tour-operators for Burma in Belgium.

The decision to ban Burma was taken as a consequence of KWIA Burma Group
awareness campaign. In addition to Joker Tourism and Anders Reizen, Hobo
Reizen is the  third Belgian tour-operator to cancel its Burma-trips.

------

DEMOCRATIC BURMESE STUDENTS ORGANIZATION (USA):
PRESS RELEASE

The third regional executive committee of the DBSO (East) has been elected.
The following are the names and the respective positions of the regional
committee members.

Ko Yin Aye (Regional coordinator)
Ko Shwe Htee(Education committee)
Ko Aye Min(Campaign committee)
Ko Myo(Information committee)
Ko Aung Thu(Finance committee)
Ko Yin Htwe(Organzing committee)

The first meeting of the committee was held on January 31, 1998 in New York
city. The second meeting will be held in Washinton DC in February.

For more information, please contact dbsousa@xxxxxxx

-----

FREE BURMA COALITION, AUSTRALIA: LETTER TO MARRICKVILLE COUNCIL

The Burma Support Group, Sydney is campaigning to have Marrickville Council
pass selective purchasing legislation.

Please support their efforts by writing letters of support to the council
and send the letters to Dennis as per instructions below.  A joint effort
can be most effective.

Yours in unity to Free Burma,
Amanda

Please do NOT send the letter to the council.  We would like to include it
with a whole package of things.  Please send me at UNSW - see address
below. Nevertheless on your letterhead could you please address the letter to:

Marrickville Concillors
c/o The General Manager
Marrickville Council
2 Fisher Street