Declaration of Union Day

Declaration of the National League for Democracy (Liberated Area) on the
51st Anniversary of Union Day

It would not be wrong to say that the Panglong Agreement, signed by General
Aung San and ethnic leaders 51 years ago on this, gave birth to the modern
Burma. Since then the 12th of February has been celebrated as Union Day.
Sadly, however, if we review the current situation, the aspirations of those
who came together on that day to form of a prosperous and successful future
union have been unattainable until now due to the assumption of power by
military dictators.

For the last 36 years under the brutal rule of the military regime the
entire people of Burma including the ethnic nationalities have been deprived
of human rights, justice, the rule of law, equality and mutual respect.
Additionally due to the mismanagement of the regime the economy has been
thrown into disarray, and Burma has become a "Least Developed Country".
Without basic human rights, equality and self determination for all ethnic
groups, it is impossible to build a stable prosperous and genuine democratic
society.

In our struggle to find a solution to the countries ethnic problem the focus
of the NLD(LA) has been on the root cause; the chauvinism and narrow minded
nationalism that has destroyed national unity. The NLD have been striving
continuously to rid the minds of our countrymen of such destructive
ideologies. What is needed to achieve genuine national unity is a system
under which all the national groups in Burma can freely and fearlessly
express their hopes, objectives, concerns and grievances.

To foster the Panglong spirit, to achieve a genuine democratic federal union
responsive to the will of all ethnic groups, and to begin to repair the
damage wreaked upon our country by the military rulers, we should create a
political atmosphere under which the authorities, the leaders of the ethnic
nationalities and the democratic forces lead by Daw Aung San Suu Kyi are
equally able to participate in solving the national problem.

								 Central Committee
National League for Democracy (Liberated Area)
Date:	12th, February 1998
|National League for Democracy (Liberated Area)|