SSA Response to Karen Leader's Spee

SSA RESPONSE TO KAREN LEADER'S SPEECH

	The representative from the Shan United Revolutionary Army, renamed Shan
States Army (Southern) since 1 January, has responded favorably to General
Saw Bo Mya's speech to launch joint operations against the SLORC/SPDC,
according to a S.H.A.N. source.

	" We had an agreement made on 31 October 1996 to join hands against the
military dictatorship in Rangoon whatever name it is using and we are ready
to prove our solidarity with one another. Whatever we do, we believe that
it is not only to the good of our respective peoples but for other people's
also including the Burmans themselves " said the representative who asked
S.H.A.N. to leave him unidentified.

	" There are only the Shans, the Karens and the Karennis still fighting. If
we stand together, each of us will become stronger and, hence, weaken the
SLORC/SPDC. "

S.H.A.N.
Shan Herald Agency for News