February 16, 1998

                                NARCOTICS

              Only 'half of
              opium crops
              destroyed'

              Budget cuts hamper eradication efforts

              Subin Khuenkaew
              Chiang Mai

              More than half of this season's poppy fields will be able to
              blossom to produce opium and heroin because of budget cuts
              for anti-narcotics efforts.

              "We've been able to eradicate only about half the poppy fields in
              Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai and Mae Hong Son," said Banpot
              Piamdee, director of the Office of Narcotics Control Board's
              northern centre in Chiang Mai.

              The northern centre as well as the Third Army, which has taken
              a major part in controlling production since the 1970s, have
              already ran out of funds for suppression efforts.

              The northern centre has also accumulated debts totalling 12.5
              million baht - 12 million in rewards for police, informants, and
              other officials following successful arrests and the rest for
              eradication drives in remote districts.

              The estimated acreage for this season (November through
              February) is 10,000 rai, up from 8,700 rai last year, and 7,800
              the year before. Joint efforts between the police and Third Army
              usually manage to eradicate about 80 percent.

              Mr Banpot said that in some areas he visited recently, farmers
              have replanted soon after the eradication team left, as though
              knowing the authorities will not be back.

              "I can say that we've eradicated more than half, but we don't
              know yet how much of it has been replanted," he said.

              There are usually only two crop seasons a year, but with
              advanced agricultural technology which poppy farmers have
              been experimenting over the past few years, about four crops
              can now be harvested annually.

              "I fear the output will increase further this year," said Mr Banpot.

              The director is hopeful that help will come from the United
              States, the major market for heroin from the Golden Triangle and
              also an important donor in Thailand's anti-drug efforts since the
              1970s.

              He estimated that roughly $1 million was needed for production
              control, interception and suppression.

              Another source of funds could come from the seized assets of
              drug dealers, but Mr Banpot said that might be a long term
              prospect.