The Nation: Opponents back Yadana o

Politics

      Opponents back Yadana
      outcome

      Opponents of the Yadana gas pipeline
      yesterday announced that they would
      accept any government resolution on the
      project, even if it does not protect the forest
      and violates the principles of human rights.

      On the last day of testimony presented
      before the national committee set up to
      review the project, pipeline critics said the
      government could choose between four
      alternatives: cancel the project, change the
      pipeline's route, suspend construction, or
      continue building the pipeline until it's
      completed.

      Meanwhile, officials from the Electricity
      Generating Authority of Thailand (Egat)
      revealed that the power plant being built to
      receive the gas will probably be delayed by
      at least one month, raising new questions
      about the timetable for the pipeline.

      Phipob Thongchai, a leader of the
      opposition group, said: ''We promised that
      we would end our protest and leave the site
      [where a camp has been set up to block
      construction] the moment the government
      makes a decision''.

      However, he said, if the resolution runs
      counter to public opinion and damages the
      forest, it might be opposed by other groups.
      ''Although our protest has ended, other
      groups might take non-violent action
      against the resolution,'' he pointed out.

      The national committee set up to review the
      project is attempting to gather more
      information and then submit a
      recommendation to the prime minister so
      that the Cabinet can make a final decision
      on the controversial issue.

      Committee chairman Anand Panyarachun
      said the committee will brainstorm and
      debate the information until Feb 24. Then
      he will submit all the information to the
      prime minister and make a public
      presentation at Government House on Feb
      25.

      ''Making a decision on the issue is beyond
      [the committee's] authority, we are simply
      ordered to gather information and submit it
      to the premier,'' he said.

      ''This is not a public hearing because that
      should be held before a project is
      approved. However, I hope that the
      committee's work will create a social
      standard for any future large-scale
      development projects so that before they
      are approved they must pass through a
      process of public participation,'' he said.

      BY PENNAPA HONGTHONG

      The Nation