THE NATION: Still waiting for libe

Mailbag

      Still waiting for liberty in
      this land of the free

      We are Burmese students who love
      democracy so much that we fled to
      Thailand in order to struggle for democracy
      in our country. We are recognised by the
      UN High Commission for Refugees as
      refugees, but were arrested for illegal entry.

      On Jan 12, 1993, we peacefully
      demonstrated in front of the Burmese
      Embassy to condemn the State Law and
      Restoration Council (Slorc) for the sham
      National Convention. But we were arrested
      and detained in the Special Detention
      Centre for eight months.

      During the Asean meeting last July, our
      Burmese comrades were arrested for
      demonstrating peacefully outside the
      Burmese Embassy. They are still being
      held at the detention centre. They will soon
      be handed over to a safe area and are
      likely to be put under house arrest.

      That's why we would like to ask the Thai
      government: What is democracy? Where is
      liberty, justice, human rights and the values
      of humanity?

      Saw Pai Htoo Chit

      Independent Karen National Students'
      Organisation