Appeal letter from Mae Ye Hta

Appeal from Mae Ye Hta to the international friends

We are the Christian refugees taking refuge in Mae Ye Hta refugee camp in
Mae Hong Son province, Thailand.  Due to the human rights violations and
atrocities by the SPDC and DKBA troops after the major offensive against the
Karen National Union and series of clashes in 1995, we, the innocent
civilians had to abandon our native lands and have taken refuge on the bank
of Salween river on the Thai side.

About 15,000 civilians particularly from Papun district, Karen State have
taken refuge in Ou Dah, Klo Pa, Mae Saku and Mae Ye Hta refugee camps on the
Thai side.  The plight of these refugees has been known in the international
community. All of us are abided by the Thai laws and have been living with
good relations with the local Thai people. The drug trafficking and illegal
logging are strictly restricted in our refugee camps and rules and
regulations regarding these illegal businesses are officially enacted in the
camps saying anyone who involve in these kind of crime shall be punished in
accordance with the current Thai laws.

With the accusations by the Royal Thai Government against the refugees of
being involved in the drug trafficking and illegal logging concession,
pressure have been asserted since February 12, 1997.  Refugees have been
ordered to move to Mae Ramu refugee camp, with the excuse of saving the
Salween National Park Area.

A peaceful demonstration against the forcibly relocation plan by the Thai
authorities was held by the refugees in Mae Ramu camp on February 12, 1997.
Refugees claimed that they were wrongly accused of being involved in the
illegal drug trafficking and logging concession. The following reasons are
given by the refugees for their will against the relocation plan- the room
in the Mae Maru is enough for 1000 people only; the relocation will badly
effect to the education and health of the refugees; the new place is close
to the area controlled by the SPDC and DKBA troops; Mae Maru camp was
attacked by the DKBA in 1995; and there will be a flood in the raining
season in the new place. The refugees also express their concern that
repatriation would be the second stage, after the first stage of relocation
into Mae Ramu has successfully done, under the pressure of SPDC on the Thai
authorities for the release of Thai prisons from Burmese jails.  The
peaceful demonstration was ended after the Thai troops dismantled some of
the house in No. (4) quarters and threatened and beat the people in the camp.

On the next day, February 13, 1998, the camp chairman was given pressure to
sign an agreement in which he had to agree to return back to Burma not later
than March 1, or move to Mae Ramu. The Thai formally announced that UNHCR,
Burma Border Consortium (BBC), Ministry of Interior (MOI) will come again to
the camp on March 1. Anyone found in the area after the deadline would be
arrested and repatriated back to Burma, the Thai authorities warned.

We, the refugees are not intruders who came across into Thailand and re
conducting against the Royal Thai Government.  We are the people who are
temporarily taking refuge because of the various forms of oppression by the
military regime in Burma. Now, supplies for us have been cut off by the Thai
authorities. No NGO are allowed to give supplies to us.  All supplies will
be finished at the end of February.  We would like to appeal your mercy to
save our lives from starving in Thailand and death under the brutality by
the military regime when we are repatriated back by the Thai authorities.

Signed by

Reverend Saw Pho Yu
Saw Maw Paye, Secretary
Saw Lei, In-charge for administration