The BurmaNet News - 24 February, 19

------------------------------ BurmaNet -----------------------------
"Appropriate Information Technologies, Practical Strategies

The BurmaNet News, 24 February, 1998
Issue #942

Noted in passing:

"There were those who wandered away from a critique of a political tome to
a rambling account of their philosophy of life and there were those who
would analyze a novel with the minute concentration of a nascent
entomologist dissecting his first fly." - Daw Aung San Suu Kyi
(see MAINICHI DAILY NEWS: HOW TO BE A BOOKWORM IN A BOOKLESS LAND)

HEADLINES:
==========
MAINICHI DAILY NEWS: HOW TO BE A BOOKWORM IN A
AP: BURMA'S SENIOR LEADER RETURNED HOME
PHILIPPINE DAILY INQUIRER: TWO TYPES OF WELCOME
XINHUA NEWS: MYANMAR DRAWS 1.3 BILLION US DOLLARS
XINHUA NEWS: MYANMAR ADJUSTS BORDER TRADE POLICY
VOA: THAI / BURMA / LOGGING
THE NATION: ARMY TO MOVE KAREN FROM ILLEGAL LOGGING
BKK POST: OUR TURN WILL COME
BBK POST / PERSPECTIVE: JUSTICE FROM WITHIN JAIL
BANGKOK PHUCHATKAN: INTERVIEW WITH MON LEADER

APPEAL FROM MAE YE HTA TO INTERNATIONAL FRIENDS
----

MAINICHI DAILY NEWS: HOW TO BE A BOOKWORM IN A BOOKLESS LAND
Letter from Burma by Aung San Suu Kyi

The education of the youth of Burma is a long standing preoccupation
for those who think seriously about the future of the country.  As a
persecuted and much circumscribed political party there is little that
the National League for Democracy (NLD) can do to resolve the problem.
But we do what we can to broaden the horizons of our young people.
We arranged a series of educational lectures and started a reading circle.

The idea of a reading circle is a simple one.  We gather together once a
fortnight and discuss books and writers.  It is not however easy to choose
which book or books to discuss.  This is not because there is an
overabundance of choice.  It is, on the contrary, because there are not
enough books available.  There are few lending libraries in the country.
Books can be borrowed from some shops at a daily rate which is fixed
in accordance with the degree of popular demand for the volume concerned.
This means that those who are not well off are obliged to rush through
their reading.  Buying books, even assuming that the ones you want can
be found, is an even more expensive business and these days with the price
of basic commodities rocketing, few would consider spending money on books
for a reading circle.  To complicate matters further, as it became known
that the NLD had started a reading circle, the books that were chosen for
discussion began to disappear from lending shops and stalls. It seemed that
the authorities took a keen interest in our literary activities.

The very first reading circles held in my house with the participants
sitting around on the floor were informal and stimulating.  Our regulars
included U Moe Thu (a writer, film director), Maung Wuntha (a writer),
U Kyaw Min (an architect) and U Thein Tin (a writer), senior members
of our "intellectual wing."  They were conversant with both Burmese
and Western literature, moved in literary and artistic circles and
were always able to contribute interesting and amusing insights into
our discussions.  Now all four of them are in Insein Prison (U Thein Tin
is seriously ill), held without trial since 1996.  We miss them sorely
but we continue with our work.

The reading circle has become bigger and therefore more formal.
Participants sit in neatly arranged chairs, a list is made of those who
wish to speak and the speakers are called up in turn to take their place
at the forum.  The act of stepping on to a forum has a different effect
on different people.  Some are attacked by stage fright and stammer
and forget what it was they intended to say.  Some launch forth on
long speeches which do not always have much to do with the subject
under discussion.  They have to be reminded not to digress and meander.
Eventually we had to set a time limit to curb the volubility of the more
enthusiastic speakers.  There were those who wandered away from a critique
of a political tome to a rambling account of their philosophy of life and
there were those who would analyze a novel with the minute concentration
of a nascent entomologist dissecting his first fly.  There were also those
who performed incredible mental gymnastics to get around to their pet
subject, whatever the actual topic under discussion might be.  As time
went by, however, and our young people became more experienced readers and
speakers, their contributions become more concise and interesting.

Among the books discussed were many with political themes and many which
had been translated from foreign languages.  Works which drew contrasts
between democratic and authoritarian values were popular because our
young people felt that it would help them to argue the case for democracy
more cogently.  Books that described the way in which individuals overcame
great difficulties and hardship also fascinated our young people because
the course of their own lives were seldom smooth and easy.  I remember the
discussion of "Papillon" was particularly lively.  Life as an obstacle course
is a concept readily understood by most people in Burma.

We try to arrange for writers and those interested in literature to come
to speak at our reading circle whenever possible.  Recently a visitor
from England who had taught Burmese at the School of Oriental and African
Studies was in Rangoon and I invited her to come to my house.  The day on
which she had been invited was also the day on which our reading circle was
held so we looked forward to hearing her say a few words about her views on
Burmese literature.  However, she was told at the top of our road that the
"people from above" had decreed she should not be allowed to come to my house
and she was turned away.

Our reading circle has taken and survived a number of knocks and the
fanciful idea occurs to me that perhaps it could be better described as
a reading ellipse.  But, at the risk of straining the metaphor, I would
like to think that it does contribute something towards rounding off
our young people's education.

AP: BURMA'S SENIOR LEADER RETURNED HOME
 by Claro Cortes

MANILA -- Burma's  senior leader returned home Thursday after a
three-day state visit in the Philippines during which he was dogged
by Filipino human rights activists calling for democratic changes in
his country.

Gen. Than Shwe met with President Fidel Ramos for one hour before
he proceeded to a military airbase for his flight to  Burma. No
information was released about what the two leaders discussed
during the farewell call.

In an earlier meeting, Ramos offered Than Shwe a formula to help
Burma solve its problems: make peace with your enemies, create
jobs and be open to democratic change.

Than Shwe thanked Ramos for the advice but said changes are
already going on in  Burma.

Than Shwe, the first leader of the military-run country to visit
the Philippines since  Burma  joined the Association of Southeast
Asian Nations last year, was joined by a 47-member delegation
of businessmen and senior Burmese officials.

Human rights groups say the Philippines, which has become one of the
most democratic countries in Southeast Asia, should not have invited
Burma's  leaders, who have suppressed political opponents such as
Aung San Suu Kyi, winner of the 1991 Nobel Peace Prize.

"We reiterate that the Philippine government is dealing with forces that
do not represent the people of  Burma," said Gus Miclat, a leader of
Initiatives for International Dialogue, which is campaigning for talks
between  Burma's military junta and opposition leaders.

Philippine newspapers also criticized Than Shwe's visit.

In an editorial, the Philippine Daily Inquirer said it was "wishful
thinking to believe that the general would change his outlook and work
for the relaxation of the junta's iron grip on Burma's  political life
after a few days of first-hand exposure to Philippine democracy."

Max Soliven, publisher of the Philippine Star, said Burma's military
leaders ''have always shown a complete callousness with regard to
criticism or dissent.''

PHILIPPINE DAILY INQUIRER: TWO TYPES OF WELCOME
Editorial

The leader of Burma's (Myanmar's) military junta, Gen. Than Shwe, faces
two kinds of welcome in his current visit to Manila: a correct official
welcome and a less than cordial one from human rights groups protesting
the suppression of the political opposition led by Aung San Suu Kyi.

The ambivalence stems from the fact that the Philippine government pursues
a policy of "constructive engagement" on Burma in the hope that it could
nudge
the junta into relaxing its repressive rule and that Than Shwe sticks out
like a sore thumb in a democratic setting.

It is wishful thinking to believe that the general would change his outlook
and work for the relaxation of the junta's iron grip on Burma's political
life after a few days of first-hand exposure to Philippine democracy. Ever
since the Association of Southeast Asian Nations adopted its "constructive
engagement" policy, there has been no sign that the junta has become more
tolerant of the opposition National League for Democracy led by Aung San
Suu Kyi, who has been under house arrest since 19X9. Neither is there a sign
that the junta will convene the national assembly, in which the opposition won
82 percent of the seats in the 1990 general elections.

In ASEAN, human rights issues take a backseat to geopolitical
considerations. As chair of ASEAN until July, the Philippines promotes the
"constructive engagement" charade in the interest of ASEAN solidarity.

The Philippines' role as interlocutor on behalf of Burma is an unenviable
one and incompatible with its democratic political culture. Among all the
ASEAN members, the Philippines is the most democratic society whose values
on democracy clash with the silk glove approach of ASEAN to Burma.

The issue of brutal repression in Burma is a sore point in the relations
between ASEAN on the one hand, and the United States and Europe on the
other. The Western democracies are inclined to impose tough economic
sanctions on Burma to pressure the junta into political liberalization.
On the other hand, ASEAN resents the pressure, arguing that to effect change,
it is better to maintain dialogue than to confront Burma.

In this standoff, the Philippines seeks a middle ground, but it has not been
successful in moderating Southeast Asia's most brutal dictatorship.

XINHUA NEWS: MYANMAR DRAWS 1.3 BILLION US DOLLARS FOREIGN INVESTMENT IN 1997

YANGON -- Foreign investment in Myanmar recorded an increase of 1.3 billion
U.S. dollars in 1997, bringing the total to 6.6 billion dollars by the end
of the year, according to the latest official figures.

The increase, however, is less than that in 1996 when the foreign investment
was registered at 2.26 billion dollars.  Some observers here attribute the
fall to the effect of the recent Asian financial crisis.

Of the 23 countries and regions investing in Myanmar, Britain, Singapore,
Thailand, Malaysia and the United States are leading with 1.32 billion,
1.31 billion, 1.16 billion, 587 million and 582 million dollars
respectively.

Of the total foreign investment in the country, the other five Asean
countries --Singapore, Thailand, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines
-- shared 50 percent, investing 3.3 billion dollars.

The 10 foreign-invested sectors involving 293 permitted projects are leading
with oil and gas (2.29 billion dollars), manufacturing (1.27 billion
dollars), real estate (997 million dollars), hotels and tourism (770
million dollars)
and mining (498 million dollars).

Myanmar began to shift its centrally-planned economic system towards a
market-oriented one when the country opened its door to the outside
world in late 1988, inviting foreign investment to help develop the country.

XINHUA NEWS: MYANMAR ADJUSTS BORDER TRADE POLICY

YANGON -- Myanmar  has adjusted its border trade policy, using U.S. dollar
for quoting prices and settling accounts, according to the reports by
official newspaper The New Light of  Myanmar  on Wednesday.

Myanmar began border trade activities with neighboring countries in late
1980s. The country stressed the need to adopt a policy of turning the
border trade
into normal trade a few years ago, however, the policy did not go into
effect.

The paper quoted deputy commerce minister Myo Tint as saying that the
authorities has issued directives to apply regular trade procedures based
on U.S. dollar in place of neighboring currency in the border trade beginning
last November 26.

The deputy minister said that in importing goods from the other countries
with income earned from exports, 60 percent of goods must be the items
designated as priorities required for the state and 40 percent would be
the items which the merchants want to import.

The authorities has also limited 26 items of goods for import, the deputy
minister said without naming them.  He asked merchants not to import goods
which affect health, culture and social standard of the nation such as
beer, cigarette, soft drinks, biscuits and monosodium glutamate.

Myanmar  has had border trade with neighboring Bangladesh, China, India,
Laos and Thailand under bilateral agreements.  However, the trade activities
seem to be at a standstill in the past few months.

According to official statistics, Myanmar's foreign trade including border
trade stood 2.68 billion U.S. dollars in the first ten months of 1997, in
which export shared 725 million dollars.

VOA: THAI / BURMA / LOGGING
by Gary Thomas, Bangkok

Intro:  Thai military forces Monday began relocating thousands of
Ethnic karen refugees to new camps in thailand.  The refugees --
who fled from Burma -- are believed to be involved in the illegal
logging trade.  As V-O-A correspondent Gary Thomas reports from
Bangkok, the trade has sparked a political scandal in Thailand.

Text:  Thai troops moved in Monday to relocate more than 10
thousand Karen away from the Salween National Park -- site of
illegal logging and the birthplace of a domestic political scandal.

Thai authorities say they decided to relocate the Karen because they
believe some of them are involved in illegal logging.

The Karen have taken refuge in Thailand from the Burmese military
government, which has attempted to quell the ethnic Karen insurgency.
Thai authorities had planned to forcibly repatriate the refugees back
to Burma, after they resisted original attempts to move them away from
the park -- an environmentally-sensitive wildlife sanctuary. Forced with
a choice of relocation or repatriation, they chose relocation.

Thailand has banned hardwood logging since 1989.  But -- despite
sporadic attempts to end it -- illegal logging continues in Thailand to
meet a demand for the treasured teakwood.  In what might be termed
"log laundering," teak trees are cut down in Thailand;  floated them
down the Salween river to the Burmese side;  then brought back
across the border with false papers showing that they came from
Burma.  The logs sell for premium prices.

The practice has sparked a political scandal in Thailand. Prawat
Thanadkha -- deputy-director general of the Thai Forestry Department
says he was startled when someone recently dropped a bag in front
of  his house containing five million baht - about 116 thousand
dollars.  He says he suspected it was a bribe and tried to turn it
over to the government.  But prime minister Chuan Leekapi turned the
money down and ordered an investigation to determine the source
of the money.

Six forestry department officials are reported to have already been
transferred as part of the investigation.  Some reports in the Thai
media  allege military officials in the sensitive border area are involved.
The opposition is threatening to bring a censure motion against Mr. Chuan's
government over the matter.

Thai authorities say a group of officials investigating the logging was
fired on Sunday from the Burmese side, as they were sailing down the
Salween River.  No one was injured.

THE NATION: ARMY TO MOVE KAREN FROM ILLEGAL LOGGING AREA
23 February, 1998 [abridged]

AFP -- The Army will today begin moving 10,490 Karen refugees
from camps next to Salween National Park in a bid to curb illegal
logging, Army officers said yesterday.

The refugees from Burma are believed to be heavily involved in
the logging trade, which has come under intense public scrutiny
after a bribery scandal brought the issue into the spotlight last
week.

Army officers said the Karens had been given an ultimatum during
meetings yesterday either to move to a new refugee camp in
Thailand or return to Burma and fend for themselves.

The refugees are currently based at Ban Au-Da-Na, Ban Mae Sakaeb,
Ban Ko Ta and Ban Sob Jae in Mae Sariang district of Mae Hong
Song province, the officers said At yesterday's meeting they were
offered shelter at Mae La Laung refugee camp, also in Mae Sariang
district but further from the park's boundaries.

"We will move them out of the area to the Mae La Luang refugee
camp, or they can go back to their country. It's their decision,"
the-officer said, adding that some of the Karens did not want to
move.

"Whatever they decide to do, it will be finished before the rainy
season," he said.

BKK POST: OUR TURN WILL COME
Letter to the Editor

I was flabbergasted to read the justification for forcing the
persecuted Burmese back home, despite Kobsak Chutikul saying
Thailand had never carried out mass repatriation, comparing it to
the US treatment of illegal Mexicans. He seems to forget that
Mexico does not have a genocidal junta bent on ethnic cleansing
and suppressing the pro-democracy movement.

What people in the civilised world appeal for is an ounce of
humanitarian concern for these persecuted people, especially the
ethnic groups.

We know that Thai business concerns, who always overrule
conscience, and the constructive engagement policy are done at
the cost of Burmese lives. Your newspaper has already highlighted
the creation of 7,000 jobs (for Thai) from the 19,000 workers
repatriated.

I'd like to remind the authorities not to think that democracy
will never come to Burma.

A day will come when it will be our turn to call the shots.

KANBAWZA WIN
UNIVERSITY OF MANITOBA

BBK POST / PERSPECTIVE: JUSTICE FROM WITHIN JAIL
22 February, 1998 [abridged]
by Supradit Kanwanich

LIBERTY: A THAI BUSINESSMAN, JAILED FOR ALLEGED BREACH OF CONTRACT IN
RANGOON, DISCOVERED THE TRUTH ABOUT HIS ARREST FROM FELLOW INMATES - AN ACT
THAT SECURED HIS FREEDOM AFTER 15-MONTH INCARCERATION.

If you have Thai business partners in Burma make sure that they
are honest and trustworthy; otherwise you could end up in court
and detained in jail like me, " warned Thai businessman Karin
Tongpatchote in an interview with Sunday Perspective.

Karin said he was the first and only Thai person released this
year from the Insein prison.

"My ordeal in the last 15 months is a lesson that I will never forget,"
he said.

Late last month, he showed no trace of rancour or bitterness as he prepared
to leave the prison. "I will carry on with my joint fishing venture with
the Burmese authorities," he said.

Others in his position would have thought twice before saying so.
A Thai-Burmese joint fishing venture sent him to jail for months
in Rangoon.

BAD BUSINESS DEAL: Why is it then, that he will not quit the
fishing business? "It's my Thai business partner who is
responsible for the three missing fishing boats not I," he said.

Karin's former business partner is Thanu Yamsri, the subject of a
warrant of arrest issued by the Hlaing township court in Rangoon
in October of 1996. Thanu remains at large, allegedly engaged in
a fishing business elsewhere in Thailand.

In August of 1995, Burma closed its territorial waters to all
Thai-Burmese joint fishing ventures.

This was largely attributed to a series of fishing-related incidents,
particularly Thai trawlers in no-fishing zones.

The Burmese marine shutdown was also influenced by the murder of
six Burmese crewmen (some were reportedly Burmese intelligence
officials) on board a Thai trawler. The trawler was also said to be on
a Thai-Burmese fishing venture.

Karin was then the chairman of the Bangkokman Import and Export
Inc (BKM) based in Pasadena, California. He was also chairman of
the ONK Mining & Construction Co Ltd in Bangkok.

In December 1995, Karin found a golden business opportunity and
signed an agreement with the Shan State Development General
Trading Co Ltd. Its representative was the chairman of the Shan
State Army (SSA), Sao Sai Naung.

The SSA was to be responsible for all offshore activities and the
BKM: for financial assistance to the project.

The deal led to Karin's arrest. Burmese authorities charged him
with breach of contract and cheating.

On September 18, Karin received a fax from SSA Chairman Sao Sai
Naung. The fax claimed that the BKM failed to pay the rental fees
of the fishing  boats.

The fax also claimed that one boat was missing.

Karin went to Rangoon and met with SSA officials on September 25,
1996. He signed an agreement to pay 28.6 million kyats to the SSA
before the year was over.

He was supposed to pay half by October, 25 percent by November,
and the last 25 percent by December 1996.

He told the SSA that he would return to Bangkok to withdraw money
and to negotiate with Thanu.

That afternoon, while waiting for his flight to Bangkok, he was
arrested at Rangoon airport.

SSA staff confiscated all documents from the BKM office in
Rangoon. These were never returned. The BKM staff were also
prohibited from involving themselves with fishery operations in
the future.

INTIMATIONS OF TROUBLE: Five months earlier, Karin was aware of
some irregularities in the contract.

"I was also aware that Thanu and his Burmese associates wanted me
out," he said.

"I told them that if they settled all accounts, they could have
the whole business. But nothing happened. Then I received the fax
calling me to settle things in Rangoon.

"If I was a crook, if I had intended to cheat my Burmese
counterparts, would I have rushed to Rangoon?" he said.

What irregularities did he see in the contract?

Under the contract, Thanu and his party was in charge of offshore
operations such as fishing and managing the expenses and revenues
in fishing operation and trade.

The SSA was responsible for offshore security, and for the
fishing crew.

However, the SSA arrested him when a boat was lost and when boat
rentals were not paid.

It was also found that Thanu and some SSA staff hired at least
two fishing boats without his knowledge. He received no records
of the fishery sales or of the fishing boats' operating expenses.

"The SSA said that no rental had been paid to boats SSA-3 and
SSA-4. But I found  that the SSA had paid 25 million kyats for
rent, but unreported," he said.

INFORMATION FROM PRISONERS: As of this writing, over 80 Thai
prisoners remain in Insein prison, most of them fishermen.

Some are on drug charges and two are serving 30-year jail terms
for smuggling counterfeit Burmese currency worth tens of millions
kyats.

One was released late last year.

During his 15 months in prison, he said, up to 40 Thai fishermen
were admitted there at least four times. "I do not know how many
more have been  incarcerated in the jails elsewhere along the
coastal provinces of Burma.

"I heard that Thai fishermen are arrested every week or two,"
said Mr Karin.

Karin wasted no time in jail. Talking to Thai prisoners in jail
like him, Karin found that Thanu's men stole the "missing" boat.

The Thai inmates told him that the boat belonged to Thanu,
registered in Samut Songkhram as Sor Sor 292 under the name of
Siriphairoj 6.

In 1988 it was confiscated by Burmese authorities for encroaching
Burmese waters. It was auctioned and sold to a Burmese fisherman
who registered it under the Burmese vessel law as Shwe Than Win.

The skipper and crew of Siriphairoj 6, the inmates told him, had
already served their jail terms and have returned to Thailand.

Karin sent letters to authorities in Burma and Thailand, saying
"The SSA is the plaintiff in this case and it appears that it is
backed by high-ranking authorities to pressure me, and to turn a
small incident into a serious case."

During the court procedure, he said, he requested bail thrice. He
was told he would jump bail unless the Royal Thai Embassy would
guarantee him. Then he was told that the embassy had no such
authority.

"I believe that my written petitions had caught the attention of
the highest Thai and Burmese authorities. I believe they
instructed others to look into the dispute. I believe that in the
end, I received justice in a legal courtroom as a result," he
said.

DELAYED DEPARTURE: Karin could have been released earlier, as
part of the amnesty programme initiated by chairman of the State
Peace and the Development Council of Burma Gen Than  Shwe and
Thai Army Commander-in-Chief Gen Chettha Thanajaro. Three batches
of l20, 100 and 98 Thai prisoners were released to in 1995, 1996
and 1997 under this programme from Insein prison.

Karin, however, refused to be released because it would have
meant that he was pardoned for crimes he committed.

"I could have been one of them (prisoners) but that amnesty means
I would have to be deported and could never go to any country."

Karin was determined to prove his innocence. "And more
importantly, I was still unable to gather proof of my innocent at
that time," he said.

At the time, he was still talking to the Thai fishermen who were
in the same jail with him. He used his free time sifting the
facts and composing them into letters which he sent off to
various authorities. His efforts paid off.

Karin believes that his case was justly handled through the
attention of  Gen Than Shwe and Gen
Chettha as well as their staff after facts of the matter had been
exposed.

Karin said he appeared at the township court twice a month in the
first four months of detention, four times a month for another
two months, and from Monday to Friday other two months then he
was sentenced.

The rest of seven months in the prison was to work and wait on
the appeal to the district court and the central court until his
case was acquitted.

LESSONS IN BURMESE BUSINESS: Karin found that business in Burma rests on
written or verbal promises, regardless of the economy, and regardless of
the trading tricks used.

"The Burmese believe in promises. You must do whatever you say or
promise. That's the way we did business in Thailand 30 to 40
years ago," he said.

Though he was acquitted from all criminal charges, Karin paid 10
million kyats for the lost vessel as chairman of a company
dealing with local counterparts.

When he was charged for the damage before he was arrested, he
said, he could have denied responsibility as earlier agreed with
the SSA.

After a few months' rest, he said, he would return and resume
business in Burma. There's an ongoing multi-million US dollar
telecommunications project with Japanese and Western
counterparts.

Other interesting projects are the electricity generation plant,
the deep-sea port in Tavoy, industrial parks, and the railroad
link between Thailand and Burma.

Definitely, I would continue in the fishery business. However, I
would be more careful this time. Proper fishery operations in
Burma could be sustainable," he said.

He said by that Burmese law pronounced him innocent and he could
resume business but "proving my innocence was a painful
experience. "

BANGKOK PHUCHATKAN: INTERVIEW WITH MON LEADER
16 February, 1998, p. 5 [translated from Thai]

[Interview with Nai Shwe Kyin, chairman of the New Mon State
Party, by Suphalak Kanchanakhundi at Waeprai village, in the Mon
State, Burma, on 12 February, Mon ethnic group's national day.]

SUPHALAK: Why did the Burmese military regime have to change its name from
SLORC [State Law and Order Restoration Council] to the State Peace and
Development Council (SPDC)?

NAI SHWE KYIN: The old name was not good.  The word SLORC does not sound
pleasant.  However, the new name is not as important as the structural
change.  You can see that the lieutenant generals and major generals who
held ministerial posts earlier have been replaced by younger brigadier
generals.

SUPHALAK: Some people have pointed out that the change was made due
to international pressure.

NAI SHWE KYIN: That is untrue.  The change was internally motivated.
Of course, the admission of Burma into ASEAN was one of the major causes.
However, corruption was so rampant that it had to be wiped out.  The
present government has been trying so hard to build up the nation.

Meanwhile, Aung San Suu Kyi and outsiders are also trying to distort facts.
 Because the government cannot allow the people to hold protest rallies,
they claim that the country is under the rule of anarchy.  The government
has to get rid of them, otherwise, it will not be able to rule the country.
 I am of the opinion that the government is in the process of developing
/discipline democracy/, the system identical to those applied by Lee Kwan
Yew and Suharto.  Liberal democracy is not permissible.  You cannot expect to
see the type of democracy you see in the United States or Great Britain in
Burma.  Unlike Thailand, Burma, Indonesia, and Malaysia are former colonies.

SUPHALAK: You think that this country is being politically developed.
 What about the economy?

NAI SHWE KYIN: Ours is a close economy.  Minority groups like us
benefit from foreign investment.  After signing a truce agreement with
the government, we have been allowed to set up the Ramanya International
Company to conduct business with foreign countries. Recently, our company
signed a contract with Thailand's Power P Company to build a road and
seaport.  Unfortunately, the Thai company collapsed.  Later South Korea's
Daewoo Company approached us.  But, again, it also has problem.  Now we are
holding
negotiations with another Thai group to carry out this project.  I believe
that the Thai Government wants to see this project completed because Thai
goods can be transported through the Mon territory to use the Burmese seaport
so that Thai goods can compete with those from China.  Thai goods cannot be
transported through other routes because of the ongoing fighting between the
KNU [Karen National Union] and government troops.

The KNU problem is very complicated because the KNU itself is now
divided into different factions.  Thirty-five percent of the Karen
population are Christians of different sects, e.g. Catholics, Seventh Day
Adventists, and Baptists.  Five percent are spirit worshipers while the
rest are Buddhists.  When the KNU Christians controlled the power, the
Buddhists were denied of all accesses to high positions.  The Buddhist
group is now getting stronger and receiving government assistance.  KNU
leader Bo Mya wants to keep on fighting the government and continues to
maltreat the people who are so fed up with war.  Do you know that Bo Mya
is a Seventh Day Adventist?  The Catholics look down on the Seventh Day
Adventists.  Many Catholics detest his attempts to convert other people and
have turned to join the government.

SUPHALAK: Do you think that the KNU will sign a cease-fire agreement
with the government?

NAI SHWE KYIN: The KNU will be welcome by the government. However, the KNU
will not do that.  Many Karen leaders I have met believe that there should
not be any confrontation or fighting at this moment.  I used to be a leader
of the National Democratic Front which comprised 11 minority groups with a
combined strength of 30,000 men.  At that time, Ne Win was in power and the
government had a 180,000-strong army.  The ratio was one to six. The
government now has 400,000 soldiers and is very strong because it has
received assistance from China.

SUPHALAK: Have the Mon given up their political struggle and only
concentrated on conducting business?

NAI SHWE KYIN: Right.  Politically speaking, we have stopped fighting
the government.  As a matter of fact, the government wants to see all
minority groups stop fighting and turn to help it build up the nation.
We have had enough fighting.  If we do not stop fighting, the country will
collapse.  We must rebuild our nation.  I have told Karen leaders that we
fought the Burmese because we want them to know our positions and we have
succeeded to a certain extent.  We should stop fighting now.  But the KNU
and Aung San Suu Kyi refuse to stop because they are backed by the CIA.

SUPHALAK: Why should the CIA support them?

NAI SHWE KYIN: Aung San Suu Kyi is their puppet.  They gave her a
Noble prize and have been financing her activities.

SUPHALAK: Is it true that minority groups have been motivated by
business interests to give up their political struggles?

NAI SHWE KYIN: Yes, we have not been talking about politics. However,
politics is still in our heads.  We told them that we want to use our own
language and preserve our literature and culture.  They said our request
was too great.  I cited Switzerland as an example.  That small country uses
four different languages.  How can they do that?  This is possible in
western nations because they are ruled by a democratic system.  You cannot
even say that Thailand is a fully democratic country.  Democracy has been
implanted in the United Kingdom for some 600 years.  We are only a toddler
in this connection and cannot copy the system of any country for our own use.
It is likely that we will have to find the system that suits our country.
Aung San Suu Kyi's cousin, Dr. Sein Win, says we must have democracy and
human rights while the people must be allowed to hold protest rallies.
What kind of democracy is that?  If the situation is out of control,
the military will have to step in.

SUPHALAK: Will the Mon not take part in the struggle for democracy?

NAI SHWE KYIN: At this moment, Aung San Suu Kyi wants democracy and
human rights while the Mon want national liberation and the right to
self-determination.  We can wait to get democracy and human rights.
Unlike the Mon, the Karen never has had a nation and they are fighting for
it.

The Mon have their own nation from a thousand years before.  In ancient
times, all seaports in this region were under Mon control.  We declared
our independence in 1740 and were subjugated by the Burmese in 1754. We
still regret today that the Mon leaders in those days did not fight.
Therefore, we have to revive the struggle.  Khun Phisan, a supporter of
the Mon nation, said we will benefit from the natural gas pipeline because
is laid through the Mon State.  Where is the Mon State?  We must build up
ourselves and get stronger before we can raise the issue for talks.

SUPHALAK: Can you tell me how the Mon will carry out their struggle
under the present situation?

NAI SHWE KYIN: We will proceed slowly and step by step.  You cannot
say that our target is to build up a Mon country.  A British scholar said:
"Do not ask what your grandfather used to be, but always remember what
you are now."

SUPHALAK: Mon organizations have been divided. Younger generations
do not seem to agree with you.

NAI SHWE KYIN: Yes, misunderstanding prevails among our people. Some wanted
to support Aung San Suu Kyi but later changed their mind because it is no
use to support such a person. Democracy, human rights, and the right to
hold protest rallies can lead to turmoil and anarchy.

SUPHALAK: It is apparent that you do not like Aung San Su Kyi and her
colleagues at all.

NAI SHWE KYIN: No, they are aggressive and reject the constitution that
was drafted by the military.  I say that there is no constitution that
is truly perfect in the world.  Look at the Thai people.  They are never
satisfied with their constitution.  The military want to draft a
constitution.  Let them do it because they have the power to do so.  You
can change it when
you have the power.  Be patient.  There is no need to rush.

SUPHALAK: The New Mon State Party has signed a cease-fire agreement
with the government.  How come soldiers are still carrying guns around?

NAI SHWE KYIN: The cease-fire has really become effective. In principle,
we are enemies.  Both sides have to carry weapons as the Palestinians
and Irish are doing.  We and the Burmese fought a war for nearly half
of a century.  It is impossible for us to completely lay down our weapons.
Whenever we can trust each other, the problem can be resolved easily.
In fact, I have told the Burmese that we carry weapons to do our duty
like that of the home guards in the United States.

['Phuchatkan' is a business-oriented daily newspaper]

APPEAL FROM MAE YE HTA TO INTERNATIONAL FRIENDS

We are the Christian refugees taking refuge in Mae Ye Hta refugee camp in
Mae Hong Son province, Thailand.  Due to the human rights violations and
atrocities by the SPDC and DKBA troops after the major offensive against
the Karen National Union and series of clashes in 1995, we, the innocent
civilians had to abandon our native lands and have taken refuge on the bank
of Salween river on the Thai side.

About 15,000 civilians particularly from Papun district, Karen State have
taken refuge in Ou Dah, Klo Pa, Mae Saku and Mae Ye Hta refugee camps on the
Thai side.  The plight of these refugees has been known in the
international community. All of us are abided by the Thai laws and have
been living with
good relations with the local Thai people. The drug trafficking and illegal
logging are strictly restricted in our refugee camps and rules and
regulations regarding these illegal businesses are officially enacted in
the camps saying anyone who involve in these kind of crime shall be
punished in accordance
with the current Thai laws.

With the accusations by the Royal Thai Government against the refugees of
being involved in the drug trafficking and illegal logging concession,
pressure have been asserted since February 12, 1997.  Refugees have been
ordered to move to Mae Ramu refugee camp, with the excuse of saving the
Salween National Park Area.

A peaceful demonstration against the forcibly relocation plan by the Thai
authorities was held by the refugees in Mae Ramu camp on February 12, 1997.
Refugees claimed that they were wrongly accused of being involved in the
illegal drug trafficking and logging concession. The following reasons are
given by the refugees for their will against the relocation plan- the room
in the Mae Maru is enough for 1000 people only; the relocation will badly
effect to the education and health of the refugees; the new place is close
to the area controlled by the SPDC and DKBA troops; Mae Maru camp was
attacked by the DKBA in 1995; and there will be a flood in the raining
season in the new place. The refugees also express their concern that
repatriation would be the second stage, after the first stage of relocation
into Mae Ramu has successfully done, under the pressure of SPDC on the Thai
authorities for the release of Thai prisons from Burmese jails.  The
peaceful demonstration was ended after the Thai troops dismantled some of
the house in No. (4) quarters and threatened and beat the people in the camp.

On the next day, February 13, 1998, the camp chairman was given pressure to
sign an agreement in which he had to agree to return back to Burma not later
than March 1, or move to Mae Ramu. The Thai formally announced that UNHCR,
Burma Border Consortium (BBC), Ministry of Interior (MOI) will come again to
the camp on March 1. Anyone found in the area after the deadline would be
arrested and repatriated back to Burma, the Thai authorities warned.

We, the refugees are not intruders who came across into Thailand and are
conducting against the Royal Thai Government.  We are the people who are
temporarily taking refuge because of the various forms of oppression by the
military regime in Burma. Now, supplies for us have been cut off by the
Thai authorities. No NGO are allowed to give supplies to us.  All supplies
will be finished at the end of February.  We would like to appeal your
mercy to save
our lives from starving in Thailand and death under the brutality by the
military regime when we are repatriated back by the Thai authorities.

Signed by:
Reverend Saw Pho Yu
Saw Maw Paye, Secretary
Saw Lei, In-charge for administration