Aung San Suu Kyi urges equality for

Aung San Suu Kyi urges equality for women
11:26 p.m. Mar 07, 1998 Eastern
BANGKOK, March 8 (Reuters) - Nobel Peace laureate Aung San Suu Kyi marked
International Women's Day in Myanmar (Burma) on Sunday with a call for
equality for women, saying discrimination hurts the human race.

``It cannot be doubted that in most countries today women, in comparison to
men, still remain underprivileged,'' Suu Kyi said from Yangon (Rangoon) in a
statement obtained by Reuters in Bangkok.

The 1991 Nobel Peace laureate noted that many girls in the world were
deprived of a proper education and even proper medical care because they
were not valued by society.

``Such discrimination not only constitutes injustice to women, it is hurtful
to the whole human race,'' said Suu Kyi.

``It is only by creating conditions under which women are given an equal
opportunity with men to develop their talents that our world will be able to
reap the full benefits of a healthy community.''

Suu Kyi also urged people to think about the reasons as to why there is even
a need to have an International Women's Day and to try and act in accordance
with that need.

``This is also a wonderful opportunity for me to thank all those
women...from across the globe who have demonstrated the most heart-warming
solidarity for the cause of democracy in Burma,'' said Suu Kyi, who won the
Nobel prize for her non-violent efforts to bring democracy to her country.

``...They have filled me time and again with renewed hope and courage,''
said the 52-year old who was released from six years of house arrest in July
1995.

``With such women, broad of mind and big of heart, there is every likelihood
that civilised solutions can be found to our most difficult problems.'' ^MORE@

Copyright 1998 Reuters Limited.