The Nation,March 9, 1998. Panel to

Panel to conclude Salween investigation on March 15

posted at 14:47 hrs (Bangkok time)

BANGKOK, March 9 -- A panel investigating massive illegal logging in Salween National Park will
conclude its findings on March 15, the committee's chairman said Monday.

But the chairman, Gen Winij Krachangson, declined to disclose the results of the investigation so
far.

Winij's committee is in charge of finding culprits behind the illegal loggings and will report to a higher
committee chaired Agriculture Ministry's Permanent Secretary Chanasak Yuwaboon.

On Friday, Winij summoned Lt Gen Khemchart Nitisiri, owner of Scabi which imports logs from
Burma, for questioning over five hours.

Winij said his committee would not spare any culprit whether he or she would be a former military
officer or not.

''Now, we are analysing information and evidences we have gathered,'' Winij said.

''We will conclude the investigation on March 15.''

The Nation