THE NATION: Suu Kyi hits at junt

Politics

      Suu Kyi hits at junta for
      'many flaws'

      Burmese democracy leader Aung San Suu
      Kyi slammed the ruling military junta for
      economic mismanagement yesterday as
      sources in Rangoon said soaring inflation
      and mounting social unrest was plaguing
      the country.

      ''No one can deny that the government
      cannot handle the economy. There's no
      point putting more into this economy,'' Aung
      San Suu Kyi said in an interview posted on
      the Internet yesterday.

      ''We have been consulting with businesses
      who have been very frank. They say there
      are too many fundamental flaws in the
      economy -- we have already peaked.''

      Sources in Rangoon said yesterday
      inflation was spiralling out of control, with
      the black market price of petrol soaring 40
      per cent since December.

      The cost of living was raising dissent
      among sections of society in Burma, which
      previously would never have dared to
      speak out against the military junta, sources
      said.

      Aung San Suu Kyi said some members of
      the ruling State Peace and Development
      Council (SPDC) could be ''forced to
      change'' under the circumstances.

      ''There has to be rule of law, proper
      economic and fiscal policies, proper deficit
      funding,'' she said.

      Agence France-Presse