The BurmaNet News - 12 March, 1998

------------------------------ BurmaNet -----------------------------
"Appropriate Information Technologies, Practical Strategies

The BurmaNet News, 12 March, 1998
Issue #955

Noted in passing:

"We are refugees who were forced to flee our homeland due to the atrocities
committed by the Burmese troops. We entered into a refugee camp inside
Thailand believing that we would be safe and protected on Thai soil.
We can no longer feel safe here." - refugee at Huay Kaloke
(see BURMA NEWS UPDATE: KAREN REFUGEES ATTACKED)

HEADLINES:
==========
Attack on Huay Kaloke Refugee Camp:
THE NATION: CAMP TERRORISED BY KAREN REBELS
BURMA NEWS UPDATE: KAREN REFUGEES ATTACKED
NCUB: STATEMENT ON ATTACK AGAINST HUAY KALOKE
AN APPEAL FOR EMERGENCY RELIEF
MEDIA ALERT: CANDLELIGHT VIGIL TO COMMEMORATE THE

In Other News:
NEW STRAITS TIMES: PM TELLS MYANMAR: CONSIDER
NEW STRAITS TIMES: MALAYSIA TO INVEST MORE IN
THE AUSTRALIAN: ARRESTS IN BURMA SUGGEST LITTLE
AFTENPOSTEN: BONDEVIK'S WEAPON: BURMA-TRADE MAY BE
THE HINDU: FERNANDES RULES OUT JOINING GOVT
1998 GRAMMY AWARD FOR AUNG SAN SUU KI INSPIRED

Salween Logging Scandal:
BKK POST: THIRD ARMY TO HELP MOVE REFUGEES
BKK POST: SOLDIERS AMONG THOSE TO BE CHARGED
BKK POST: CHAVALIT APPROVED BORDER PASS OPENING,

Human Rights:
SHAN REPORT: THAI ARMY STARVING SHAN REFUGEES
KNU PRESS RELEASE NO. 5/98: HUMAN RIGHTS VIOLATIONS BY
KNU PRESS RELEASE NO. 6/98: HUMAN RIGHTS VIOLATIONS BY

Announcements:
BURMA.NET: REFUGEE ISSUES DISCUSSION GROUP

THE NATION: CAMP TERRORISED BY KAREN REBELS

TAK - An armed group of Karen ethnic rebels reportedly backed by
Burmese troops yesterday launched an early morning attack on a
refugee camp in northern Thailand, torching over 1,000 dwellings,
killing two and leaving 50 injured, border security officials said.

The incident, along with a previous cross-border attack by armed
Burmese groups, prompted the Foreign Ministry to submit a protest
letter to Burma.

In the latest attack, about 50 fighters of the Burma-based Democratic
Karen Buddhist Army (DKBA) under the command of Maj Col Maung Che Doo
and Maj Col Too Ma Sae crossed the Moei River into Mae Sot district's
Baan Huay Kalok and attacked the refugee camp there with M-79 machine
guns and 60-mm mortars and RPG rockets at 1.15 am yesterday.

The attack, believed to be backed by Burmese troops at Kaw Moola
base, prompted a reprisal from a border patrol police unit before
the invaders retreated across the river.  A woman and child were
killed in the crossfire. The blaze destroyed or damaged 1,500 houses
left over 50 injured.

About 9,000 refugees fled in panic to nearby temples to take
temporary shelter.  It took three hours before authorities could
bring the blaze under control.

Deputy Foreign Minister spokesman Thinakorn Kanasuta said the
ministry yesterday submitted a letter to Burma to protest two
cross-border attacks by armed Burmese groups, including the
latest one.

The ministry also demanded the release of three Thai villagers who
were taken hostage during an intrusion by about 20 armed troops on
Feb 28 in which a Thai was killed and two others injured, Thinakorn
said.

BURMA NEWS UPDATE: KAREN REFUGEES ATTACKED
11 March, 1998 / #52

On March 11, at 1:00 AM local time, Hway Kaloke refugee camp in
Thailand's Mae Sot district was attacked by a group of about 100
Burmese and Democratic Karen Buddhist Army (DKBA)troops.

Two people are confirmed to have died in the attack, and at least
30 others were seriously injured by bullets and fire.

A total of 1,300 shelters in the camp, or approximately 85 per cent
of the camp's area, were razed to the ground, leaving some 8,700
people homeless.

The attacks appear to be part of a long term strategy of the Burmese
army to terrorize the refugees into returning to Burma and to force
the armed Karen National Union to enter into a cease-fire agreement.

The attacks came as Thai Prime Minister Chuan Leekpai was due to arrive
in the U.S. for a three-day visit. There was no report of resistance by
the Thai troops guarding the camp.

A now homeless victim of the attack said, "We will return again to build
our community, but we will plead to the Thai authorities for another
location since this is the second time this camp has been burned. We are
refugees who were forced to flee our homeland due to the atrocities
committed by the Burmese troops. We entered into a refugee camp inside
Thailand believing that we would be safe and protected on Thai soil.
We can no longer feel safe here."

[Huay Ka Loke has a population of 8,769 refugees and was last burnt
down on 28 January 1997-Ed.]
(Human Rights Watch; Maesot, Eyewitness sources, 11 March)

NCUB: STATEMENT ON ATTACK AGAINST HUAY KALOKE REFUGEE CAMP
BY COMBINED FORCE OF SPDC AND DKBA
11 March, 1998 [abridged]

We, the NCUB, strongly condemn this attack against a place which is
entirely non-military. The DKBA is not the only one which is responsible
for this act, but the SPDC which has been aiding the DKBA from behind
must also be held equally responsible.

More than 40 refugees have been wounded and 2 have been killed in the attack.
More than 7,000 refugees have been rendered homeless, as 9 of the 11 wards,
having more than 1,000 houses, have been totally burnt down. As most of the
wounded are in serious condition, there is a possibility, later on, of some
of them succumbing to their injuries.

It is a heinous and detestable act to launch a military attack against a
refugee camp which has nothing to do with military matter. This act of
inhumanity by the DKBA and SPDC has lowered the dignity of the country in
the eyes of the World.  We, the NCUB, will keep on record the act of DKBA
and SPDC as the most inhuman act, and we would like to earnestly urge the
World to also condemn the DKBA and SPDC military clique which have committed
this inhuman act.

Additionally, we would like to request organizations and individuals to
come to the assistance of the destitute and homeless refugees, as soon as
possible. What we would like submit as a special request  and matter of
urgency is for the Royal Thai Government and the Thai people to react
strongly against the DKBA and SPDC military clique, without delay, as the
act was a serious violation of the sovereignty of Thailand and a direct
insult to the Thai Government and the Thai people. Moreover, this incident
shows that a great danger would befall the refugees if they were forcibly
repatriated to the hands of the SPDC. Therefore, we would like to urge the
Thai Government to shelve the plan of repatriating the refugees to their
native land and to take measures for ensuring the safety and security of
the refugees.

National Council of the UNION of Burma

AN APPEAL FOR EMERGENCY RELIEF

As all readers of BurmaNet know, Huay Kalok Refugee Camp in Mae Sot
has been attacked and burned for the second time by armed forces of
the Burmese military junta.

Emergency relief will be critical to help the desperate and homeless
refugees.  Burmese Relief Center--Japan is appealing for donations.
Contributions sent to us will be immediately transferred to Thailand
to help the refugees replace some of what they have lost.

Personal checks can be sent to:
Burmese Relief Center--Japan
2001 Missouri Avenue
Flint, MI 48506

Those in Japan can send their donations via postal transfer (yubin
furikae) to:
Account number:	01030-2-68650
Account name:	 Ken Kawasaki

Receipts will be sent by post for all donations.

MEDIA RELEASE: CANDLELIGHT VIGIL TO COMMEMORATE THE VICTIMS
& SURVIVORS OF BRUTAL MILITARY RULE IN BURMA

WHEN:
6:30 PM - FRIDAY -  MARCH 13, 1998

EVENT:
A Candlelight Vigil to commemorate the 10th anniversary of the start of the
1988 Burma people power revolution for democracy and to remember the
victims and survivors of brutal military rule in Burma. Participants will
express solidarity to those who have recently suffered outrages, such as,
the arrest of hundreds of students, the continued closure of universities,
the killings of Chin women collecting firewood, and the March 11 bombing of
ethnic Karen civilians at Huay Ka Loke refugee camp on Thai-Burma border.

LOCATION:
The residence of the SPDC Ambassador, 2223 R Street, NW, Washington DC.
(Red line to Dupont Circle Metro)

Sponsored by:
- All Burma Students Democratic Front
- Chin National Council
- Committee for Restoration of Democracy in Burma
- DC-Burma Action Network
- Democratic Burmese Students Organization (USA)
- Federation of Trade Union of Burma
- Free Burma Coalition - American University
- National Coalition Government of Union of Burma
- Nonviolence International

Media Contacts:	Zaw Zaw, 301-424-6009
			Min Min, 301-424-6077

NEW STRAITS TIMES: PM TELLS MYANMAR: CONSIDER ADOPTING STANDARD PRACTICES
OF THE WORLD
by Zainon Ahmad in Yangon

TUES: MALAYSIA has advised Myanmar leaders that in the best interest
of their country, they should consider adopting certain standard
practices or values that have been accepted by the international
community.

Prime Minister Datuk Seri Dr Mahathir Mohamad who is on a two-day visit
to Myanmar said while it was the right of the government in power to
administer the country, it could not ignore international standards in
"certain matters".

A country which is a member of the international community could not be
cocooned against other people's opinions and criticisms, he told Myanmar
leaders during their meetings with him and his delegation on Monday.

Shortly after his arrival to a red-carpet welcome and a 19-gun salute, he
met with the chairman of the ruling State Peace and Development Council,
Gen Than Shwe, who is also Prime Minister, and SPDC secretary Lt-Gen Khin
Nyunt at the Sein Le Kantha State Guesthouse.

Later Dr Mahathir and his delegation, which included Foreign Minister
Datuk Abdullah Ahmad Badawi, met Myanmar government officials at the
House of Parliament.

Abdullah, who briefed Malaysian journalists after the meeting, said the
meeting also discussed Myanmar's new constitution being drafted by the
National Convention set up in 1990.

He said Dr Mahathir asked whether the drafting could be speeded up even
though he understood that the NC had come up against problems which could
not be easily resolved.

The Malaysians were told that these problems had to do with the various
ethnic groups that were vehemently against integrating into the mainstream
Myanmar society.

Dr Mahathir told the Myanmar officials the Malaysian experience of race
relations emphasised on tolerance in resolving racial or ethnic issues.

He said tolerance should also be observed when dealing with religions of
others.

When asked whether the question of Rohingyas who are Muslims of Myanmar
fleeing the country was raised, Abdullah said Malaysia had mentioned that
some illegal immigrants in Malaysia had claimed they were from Myanmar.

Dr Mahathir suggested that the Myanmar ambassador in Kuala Lumpur make
efforts to verify their status, and if they were confirmed to be from
Myanmar, then the country should take them back.

Gen Than Shwe agreed to the suggestion and said some senior officials
would be sent to Malaysia to help their embassy in this matter. The two
sides also discussed the currency issues and the economic problems
besetting the region.

Myanmar agreed with Malaysia's suggestion of using local currencies in
regional trade. It also agreed that the use of barter trade was acceptable.

NEW STRAITS TIMES: MALAYSIA TO INVEST MORE IN MYANMAR ONCE ECONOMY PICKS UP
11 March, 1998 [abridged]
by Zainon Ahmad in Yangon

Prime Minister Datuk Seri Dr Mahathir Mohamad assured Myanmar that Malaysia
will increase its investments in the country once the economy of the region
has picked up again.

He said though Malaysia's capability to invest abroad had been reduced due
to the currency problem, it did not mean the end of trade with countries
in the region.

Malaysia would continue to trade but would use local currencies instead
of the US dollar or enter into counter-trading, he told a Press conference
before leaving Myanmar at the end of a two-day official visit.

"But when we recover from the present problems, we want to invest more in
Myanmar," he said in response to a question from a Myanmar journalist.

To a question by a Malaysian journalist, the Prime Minister said trade
between Myanmar and Malaysia was very much in Malaysia's favour and it
was necessary to try to balance this up.

"Malaysia must look around to see what we can buy and buy more of them
so that Myanmar will be in a position to buy our products," he said.

Malaysia's trade with Myanmar stood at RM1.1 billion last year, with
exports worth RM974.6 million and imports amounting to RM140.3 million.

He said among the Myanmar products Malaysia was interested in were granite,
marble, minerals, precious stones and even chilies, onions and potatoes,
while the Malaysian goods Myanmar was interested in included manufactured
products.

"If we want to sell, we have also to buy and this is how we see trading
should be and this is how we deal with our partners," he said.

To another question by a Myanmar journalist, he said much had changed in
Myanmar since he was here in 1988 - the country had made good progress
since its switch to market economy.

He said: "At that time I remember seeing only two hotels - the Inya Lake
and the Strand. But now there are many hotels, a new port and industrial
estates. And Myanmar is now in Asean."

On whether he would be attending the upcoming Asia-Europe Meeting (ASEM)
in London, now that Myanmar would not be accepted as a member, Dr Mahathir
said participants were admitted individually and not by blocs or groups.

Malaysia was a participant at ASEM1 and would participate at ASEM2 because
it was not admitting new members from Europe - the same number that attended
the first meeting in Bangkok would attend the meeting in London.

To a question by a Financial Times journalist who asked whether George
Soros was discussed during the meeting between Myanmar and Malaysian
officials, Dr Mahathir said: "Why should we? For a time it was fashionable
to do so. Now it is no longer fashionable."

In the morning the Prime Minister visited the Micasa Service Apartments
being built in Yangon, the new port in the Thilawa area south of Yangon
and the industrial trade zone near it. Later, he was a guest at a lunch
hosted by Malaysians in Myanmar.

In his speech, he said Malaysian businessmen in Myanmar should not
exhaust their welcome in the country. He said they should also not
be too eager to sign memorandums of understandings without first
ensuring their capability of consummating their intentions.

As a precaution, they should report their intentions to enter into
MoUs to the Malaysian embassy first.

THE AUSTRALIAN: ARRESTS IN BURMA SUGGEST LITTLE CHANGE
Editorial

The arrest late last year of 40 people in the Burmese capital, Rangoon,
has now been compounded by the imprisonment of 12 of them, all apparently
members of the All Burma Student Democratic Front. The reports, and the
difficulty in ascertaining the truth of what is taking place inside Burma,
shows how little trust can be put in the Government's claims of
liberalisation. Information is sparse but reports last week alleged the
students were planning a national sabotage conspiracy of bombings in the
capital. But as the students are supporters of the democratic leader Aung
San Suu Kyi, the real"conspiracy" is more likely to be an attempt by the
ruling military junta to silence dissent.

The arrests also highlight the difficulty of trusting the word of the
junta's first secretary Khin Nyunt, who has said Burma is eager to
establish a "peace zone" along its borders with India. But the comments
that the Government wishes to establish "friendly and fruitful" ties with
neighbouring countries seem unreliable. It was only at the end of last
year that Burma sealed its borders, not only with India, but with Thailand
and China as well. Refugees continue to flood across these same borders.
If the junta's aim has been to vaccinate Burma from the economic ills of
other Asian countries, it is in truth simply maintaining its policy of
isolation from the rest of the world.

Within its border it continues to inhibit democracy, keeping Ms Suu Kyi
under virtual house arrest, and actively persecuting ethnic and religious
minorities. It is a government held in disdain, not only by the World
Bank and the International Monetary Fund, but by the wider world
community. UN resolutions demanding respect for human rights and
democratisation in Burma have not only been ignored, but their whole
spirit violated by a government contemptuous of the popular will.

The State Peace and Development Council which rules Burma seeks
international respectability. Its entry into the Association of
South-East Asian Nations last June gave a boost to this aim -- it
is still too early to judge whether the ASEAN move was wise but the
student arrests do not augur well. At the time some ASEAN members
warned Burma it was "on probation" and part of the motivation for
bringing Burma into the fold of respectability was the prospect of
some neighbours having a greater influence on the military regime's
activities. This week Malaysian Prime Minister Mahathir Mohamad visits
Burma for two days, heading a delegation hoping to strengthen bilateral
and regional ties. But only a real relaxation of the totalitarian controls
employed by the junta will encourage a widening of Burma's relations with
the world. Releasing the jailed students would be a start.

AFTENPOSTEN: BONDEVIK'S WEAPON: BURMA-TRADE MAY BE PROHIBITED
[translated from Norwegian by Burma Support Group/Norway]
by Ole Nygaard

The Prime Minister says that it could be accurate to make trading with
Burma illegal if the companies do not stop doing this voluntarily.

In connection with a seminar on human rights yesterday, Prime Minister
Kjell Magne Bondevik said that he will observe through 1998 whether
Norwegian companies voluntarily follow the appeal from the Government
to stop all dealings with Burma.

"The business community usually prefers doing things voluntarily, and
not because of a law prohibiting them. The companies should follow the
Government's urging to boycott Burma as long as the country is ruled by
a regime that violates fundamental human rights and refuses all dialogue
with the international community about the abuses. If the suggestion of
the Government is not followed, the next step would be a law. I hope it
will not become necessary," the Prime Minister says.

He gives as his reason for boycotting some countries and not others -
that some countries are willing to have a dialogue about human rights
while others just refuse. "At that point, only sanctions are left,"
Bondevik says. He uses China as an example of a country that is willing
to discuss the situation for human rights.

The seminar was organised as a cooperation between Save the Children,
the Norwegian Refugee Council, the Norwegian Church Aid, the Norwegian
Red Cross and the Norwegian People's Aid.

THE HINDU: FERNANDES RULES OUT JOINING GOVT.
11 March, 1998 [excerpt]

New Delhi, March 10: The Samata Party leader, Mr George Fernandes, today
said, "As a person, I will not be a part of the Government (formed by BJP)
but my party members would participate in forming the government. We want
to strengthen the BJP at the center and all our efforts would be directed
towards this end."

Mr Fernandes said he had a much bigger agenda outside of Government.
"First and foremost will be to teach Swadeshi and a whole lot of issues.
Second, my concern about human rightas within the country as well as in
neighboring countries like Bhutan, Myanmar, Tibet and so on. Thirdly,
problems of the working classes and those related to them."

1998 GRAMMY AWARD FOR AUNG SAN SUU KI INSPIRED INSRUMENTAL
COMPOSITION
25 February, 1998 [slightly edited]

At the recent 1998 Grammy Musical Award ceremony, the category for
Instrumental Composition was won by composer Wayne Shorter for his
piece entitled "Aung San Suu Kyi".

We believe that this Grammy award greatly honors Daw Aung San Suu
Kyi's achievements, and the movement for freedom and democracy in
Burma. Please congratulate and thank Wayne Shorter for his wonderful
work and for helping Burma's democracy movement.

BKK POST: THIRD ARMY TO HELP MOVE REFUGEES

MAE HONG SON - The Third Army Region will send troops to Salween
National Park to speed up the evacuation of thousands of Karen
refugees living in the forest.

Over 12,000 Karens fled fighting inside their country and took
refuge in border villages near the park in Mae Sariang district.

According to a military source, many Karen refugees have long
been hired by illegal loggers to cut down trees in the Salween
forest.

To combat illegal logging in the park and to ensure security along
the border, Mae Hong Son provincial authorities have sought
cooperation from concerned agencies to help move refugees from
the area.

So far, only 1,044 refugees have been evacuated to a refugee camp
in Sop Moei district.

Many refugees resisted the transfer operation because they do not
want to lose money from illegal logging in the national park and
they want to further support the anti-Rangoon Karen National Union
organisation, whose stronghold is in Burma opposite the forest.

The protest prompted the provincial authorities to seek cooperation
from the Third Army to help transfer the protesting refugees.

BKK POST: SOLDIERS AMONG THOSE TO BE CHARGED
11 March, 1998 [abridged]
by Temsak Traisophon

PROBE CHIEF: PRAWAT LINKED TO WRONGDOING

State officials of several levels and agencies, including the
military, will face both disciplinary and legal action in
connection with the Salween logging scandal, the head of a
government fact-finding team said yesterday.

They would be charged with malfeasance in office, corruption and
negligence, said Chanasak Yuwaboon, the Interior Ministry's
permanent secretary who chairs the fact-finding committee, after
it met for six hours yesterday.

However, he declined to say if there would be any provincial
governor among the officials to be punished. Pakdi Chompooming,
the governor of Mae Hong Son where the Salween National Park is
located, has denied any involvement in illegal logging operations
in the park.

Gen Vinij Krachangson, a former Third Army chief who is now
attached to the Supreme Command, said yesterday in his capacity
as a committee member that some military officers were involved
in the logging scandal, but declined to elaborate. The current
Third Army commander, Lt-Gen Thanom Watcharaphut, has strongly
denied any involvement.

Mr Chanasak said part of the committee's findings could not be
made public yet. The panel had already met three times and
completed about 90 percent of its investigation, he added.

After two more meetings the committee would prepare a summary
report which was expected to be ready for submission to Prime
Minister Chuan Leekpai by March 16, he said.

BKK POST: CHAVALIT APPROVED BORDER PASS OPENING, SAYS INTERIOR

ENABLED FIRM TO MOVE WOOD FROM BURMA

New Aspiration leader Chavalit Yongchaiyudh approved the
temporary opening of a border pass at Mae Hong Son's Ban Sao
Hin while interior minister, to allow for the import of Burmese
processed wood during the Salween logging heyday, according to
the Interior Ministry.

Pol Lt-Col Somchai Petprasert, deputy interior spokesman, said
the approval enabled Thai Vineer Industry, a major logging firm,
to deliver the wood from Burma at a maximum quota of 400,000
cubic metres over a two-year period starting on September 20,
1993.

The green light came when Gen Chavalit was interior minister in
the Chuan government.

Maj-Gen Sanan Kachornprasart the Democrat secretary-general who
succeeded Gen Chavalit, later ordered the border pass shifted
from Ban Sao Hin to Huav Ton Noon in Koon Yuam district due to
intense fighting between Rangoon and the ethnic minorities.

The order signed- on March 15, 1996 remained effective until
September 1996.

Maj-Gen Sanan replaced Gen Chavalit after New Aspiration pulled
out of the Chuan government over the proposed legislative
amendment to trim the power of local leaders New Aspiration's
primary support base.

That was the first time Maj-Gen Sanan took the saddle of the
Interior Ministry.

Pol Lt-Col Somchai said the ministry was digging up evidence of
the border opening to help Maj-Gen Sanan counter the up-coming
censure attack on the Salween scandal.

The Government, he said, was unworried about the logging
allegations since it had a clear policy to wipe out forest
encroachment.

The deputy spokesman said the Opposition had tried to invade the
privacy of Cabinet ministers by investigating their wealth in
order to put it up for censure.

SHAN REPORT: THAI ARMY STARVING SHAN REFUGEES

Reports have reached S.H.A.N. that aid agencies trying to send food and
medicines for Shan refugees in Pang Yone, Pangmapha District in Maehongson
Province are being denied access to their makeshift camp.

The villages north of Homong, once Khun Sa's stronghold and now under
Burma Army's control since 1996, were ordered to relocate by the Burmese
authorities after a brief battle broke out between Burmese and Shan
troops on 12 Feb, three kilometers north of Homong. The villagers,
suddenly finding themselves robbed of their worldly possessions and
the means to live and even their lives in danger, many villagers,
nearly 500 of them, fled into Thailand.

Burmese units then took positions in Thai territory ostensibly to block
Lernherng, the commander of Shan States Army unit there, from entering
Thailand. The Thai units also took positions nearby ostensibly to push
the intruders back.

"But what ensued was the unthinkable thing," a frustrated aid worker said.
"They were demanding that the villagers return. And since there were
no attacks from either side, they cannot be considered refugees anymore.
They are simply ignoring the fact that Burma is not a peaceful country;
that it has been in a state of war since 1948."

The Shan refugees would have nothing to eat as of today (Wednesday),
he added.  "The Thai army should put themselves in the place of these
villagers. They have been forced out of their homes at gun point. It
is everyone's duty to look after them and help them. Instead, they are
being forced at gun point again to go back to their tormentors."

Meanwhile, reports are coming from across Chiangmai that Shans forced
to return were detained by the Burmese authorities in Mongton in order
to work - without pay - at the Kok River Dam. "Laborers hired by the
Thai company are paid, but those hired (sic) by the Burmese Army are
not. They are badly treated and poorly fed. The women suffer worse,"
said the aid worker.

Shan Herald Agency for News

KNU PRESS RELEASE NO. 5/98: HUMAN RIGHTS VIOLATIONS BY SPDC

Kawkareik/Dooplaya  District

In January 1998, the SPDC army battalions, in Wun-yay township forced
the Buddhist monasteries of (1) Klay-tu village, (2) Htee-kee village and
(3) Htor-gweh village to each pay 40,000 Kyat for land grant and  that of
(4) Pee-cher village, 20,000 Kyat as  revenue on land.

On intimidation and pressure by the SPDC army battalions, the following
villages had to move to designated relocation areas in the month January,
1998:
1) Htee-pa-nweh, Htee-gor and Htee-par-doh to Meh-ta-klet, Pweh-nweh-moo
and Phoo-chee villages;
2) Phoo-chee-kee to Phoo-chee;
3) Htee-wah-doh, Htee-kay and Pa-deh-pa-daw to Phoo-chee;
4) Ga-za-po-kee to Ga-za;
5) Gor-leh and Kyauk-meh to Kyaik-rauk;
6) Meh-kyaw-kee, Meh-nor-na and Htee-lor-blet to Kyaik-rauk.

In January 1998, The SPDC army battalions ordered the following villages
in Wun-yay township to move to the designated relocation areas:
1) Apa-lon and Tat-dain to Taung-zun;
2) Er-ka-waw and Meh-ka-wa to Kyauk-ba-loo;
3) Pa-wa-theh and Koo-pa-theh-ta to Beh-la-mut;
4) Tha-ka-the, Saw-kyaw, Kee-leh and Gar-ta to Ka-ner-ka-mot;
5) Wah-mor-lay and 3 other villages to Nort-chu-mor;
6) Htee-ner-kee, Wah-me-kort and Taung-ga-lay to Ma-ur.

In various townships of Doo-pla-ya district, the SPDC military units are
forcibly collecting various kinds of taxes.

For each foot in height of an elephant, the owner has to pay 10,000 Kyat
in addition to 30,000 Kyat paid to the license issuing officer, forcing the
owner to pay an average of more than 100,000 Kyat per elephant per year.
The owner of a rice milling machine, a saw-mill or a video cassette machine
has to pay 10,000 Kyat per year to the SPDC army.

The owner of buffaloes or cattle has to pay an annual tax of 100 Kyat per
buffalo or cattle. In addition, the owners of the draft animals or motor
trucks have to serve the SPDC troops free, whenever they are summoned for
service.

[Translated and distributed by the Karen Information Center]

KNU PRESS RELEASE NO. 6/98: HUMAN RIGHTS VIOLATIONS BY SPDC
28 February, 1998 [English slightly corrected]

Kawkareik/Dooplaya District

1-12-98: Troops from the SPDC army LIB 203 burnt down 3 houses of
The-bar-tor-kee village in Kaw-ka-reik township. All household articles, 20
baskets of paddy and 3 baskets of rice were burnt together with the houses.

15-12-98: Intelligence officer, Captain Than Oo, of the SPDC army IB 230,
came to Meh-ka-naw and Meh-ka-wa villages and ordered the villagers to
move to Kyauk-ba-loo village in Wun-yay township, completely, within a
week. As a result of his threat to burn down the village if the villagers
failed to complete the relocation within the given time and his use of
violent language, two women in early natal state died from shock.

12-1-98: Troops, led by Company No. 4 commander, of the SPDC army LIB 547,
came and stayed for the night in Ga-doe-ta village of Kaw-ka-reik
township. Before leaving the next morning for Nort-leh-ko village at
10:15 a.m., the troops looted 3 baskets of rice, 58 Viss of betel nuts
and 5 cattle from the villagers.

16-1-98: Column Commander Saw Aung and Deputy Column Commander Captain
Aung Lwin of the SPDC army IB 355, came to Kaw-keh village of Kya-in
township and arrested and tortured villagers, Saw Maung Kway and Saw
Maung Pulu. The village headman had to ransom them with 200,000 Kyat cash.
They also looted items worth 1,800 Kyat from 3 shops and a goat of the
village.

19-1-98: Troops led by Captains Saw Aung and Aung Lwin of SPDC army IB 355,
came to Htee-klee-thu village of Kya-in township and looted 4,000 Kyat cash
and 3 chickens from villager Naw Yoe.

21-1-98: Military column led by Major Than Soe of SPDC army LIB 357, came
to Kote-yaung village of Wun-yay township and tortured, by various means,
villager Saw Par Dee and on 29-1-98, Meh-ka-pa villager U Kauk Pe, 58, and
finally shot the two to death.

2-2-98: Troops from SPDC army IB 32, came to Mone-lone-taung village and,
after looting all the belongings of village-woman Naw Mu Htoo, burnt down
her house and the rice barn.

Words & Abbreviations:
KNU = Karen National Union (Political wing of Karen resistance)
SPDC = State Peace and Development Council (Military dictatorship of Burma)
Kyat = Name of Burmese currency
Viss = 1.5 Kg
Basket = 8 gallons
LIB = Light Infantry Battalion; IB = Infantry Battalion
[Translated and distributed by the Karen Information Center]

encouraged to participate by suggesting or carrying out letter writing
campaigns (perhaps in conjunction with the letter-writing group), aid
drives, education, networking, visits, pen pal programs, etc.

refugees@xxxxxxxxx