Ann Wrobleski's Letter to Post in D

Cloaked in Moral Indignation
Tuesday, March 17, 1998; Page A20
While I was quoted accurately in R. Jeffrey Smith's Feb. 24 news story as
not discussing client matters in public ["Burma's Image Problem Is a
Moneymaker for U.S. Lobbyists"], The Post's March 6 editorial "A
SLORC by Any Other Name" alleges that I am somehow responsible for
repression, torture and drug trafficking in Myanmar. Such a personal
attack on my reputation cannot go unanswered.
The Post finds it "most astonishing" that a former assistant secretary of
state for international narcotics control would be part of an effort to bring
Burma out of its 35 years of self-imposed isolation. The Post also
questions Japan's recent decision to resume foreign assistance and
presumably was opposed to Burma's entry to ASEAN last year.
What I find "most astonishing" is that The Post has so blindly endorsed an
isolationist policy in Burma against all evidence that engagement, dialogue
and open trade are the key ingredients to peaceful change in Asia --
indeed around the world. One wonders why The Post has supported
most-favored-nation status for the People's Republic of China or the
Four-Party Talks between the two Koreas, the United States and China --
positions I also support.
Since the editorial also references the "junta's ties to drug trafficking,"
let's
look at the recently released State Department report on international
narcotics efforts. The report notes that "there is no evidence that the
government, on an institutional level, is involved in the drug trade.
However, there are persistent and reliable reports that officials,
particularly
army personnel posted in outlying areas, are involved in the drug business."
That statement is essentially true for every country where narcotics are
produced, trafficked or consumed.
The report also notes that "Burmese counternarcotics efforts improved
during 1997, especially with regards to heroin and opium seizures as well
as the destruction of heroin refineries." Further on it notes that "most of
the
refineries were located using information provided by DEA [Drug
Enforcement Administration] from the U.S. Embassy in Rangoon." This
kind of cooperation -- which is in its infancy -- is the kind of engagement
that will make a difference in the supply of heroin on U.S. streets.
If The Post is consistent in its editorial position, then it will oppose this
cooperation and prefer instead to stand on the sidelines and point fingers at
those engaged in the real work of achieving change. By cloaking itself in
moral indignation, The Post only covers its eyes and leaves exposed the
ineffectiveness of its position.
ANN WROBLESKI
Washington