(Part 2 of 2) DEBATE ABOUT AID TO M

Unofficial Translation

The Yomiuri Shimbun (Newspaper), March 24, 1998

DEBATE ABOUT AID TO MYANMAR (Part 2)

Mr. Kabun Muto

- Director General of LDP Administration Renovation Promotion
Headquarters.
- Former Minister for foreign Affairs.
- Former Minister for International Trade and industry.
- Former Minister for Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries.
- Ex-Director General of Management and Coordination Agency.
- In the end of February this year, visited to Myanmar and met with
leading staffs of the military government.
- 71 years old.

--

Q: 	We resumed yen loan for renovation of runway of Yangon
International Airport for the reason of safety. What is the real

M: 	We must evaluate that Myanmar could join ASEAN in last year.
Because it means Myanmar could stand on an international stage named
ASEAN now. I hope they will establish their constitution and the
democratic government is organized under this new constitution as soon
as possible. Japan is one of Asian countries, we should help Myanmar
together with ASEAN countries. It is true that there are an article
provided "Promotion of democratization" in the General Principle of
our ODA. But, it is also true that aid becomes a condition to promote
democratization.

Q: 	Why do you think ASEAN permitted the joining of Myanmar?
M: 	Frankly speaking, there are a shadow of China behind. China is
only country giving large scale aid to Myanmar military government.
The real purpose of this aid must be their "Marching to South policy"
to Indian Ocean. For peace and stability of Asia, we need to restrain
China and keep balance. With the cooperation of ASEAN countries, Japan
should give aid to dissolve causes of instability of Asia.

Q: 	What do you think about Japanese policy to connect approaching
pipe to the military government and Mrs. Suu Kyi in the same time?

M:	At present, it is not working at all. Moreover, both the
military government and Mrs. Suu Kyi are distrustful to each other.
When Japanese ambassador left Myanmar, Mrs. Suu Kyi got angry and said
"Why Japan help the military government." On the other hand, there are
criticism to Mrs. Suu Kyi too. They said "She is not doing anything
for the people of Myanmar."

Q:	In order to promote democratization process through dialogue.
what they should do?

M:	The first consideration is making the circumstances for
dialogue by freedom of news press operations toward the world. If the
situation stay as it is now, then dialogue never works. The people do
not believe the news of the government owned news papers and at
present foreign mass media are under strict restriction. The military
government should change the policy to mass medias and permit to
establish neutral press organization. High ranking officers of the
government also should explain the present situation actively so that
foreign medias can make correct and true report. When I visited
Myanmar in the end  of February, I requested this matter to the
military government. I think Japanese government resumed the Yen load
in good timing. To remove the distrust between the government and
opposition groups, it is important to let the people know the real
facts and build uo the atmosphere to make dialogue between the
government and opposition group.

Q:	American State Department is saying "We do not agree any large
scaled aid."

M.	I do not know how much America understands the real situation
correctly. Most of NLD members under detention were released already.
At present, most of the political prisoners are minor race activitists
such as Karen, which is repeatedly taking anti-government movements.
To rule the colony, England used Karen favourably because they are
Christians. But after the indipendence, the dominant position of Karen
switched over to the majority race Burmese. Then, the Karen who are
put into ill fated position started to demand autonomy. It brought
social uneasiness and resulted in oppression on political offenders of
minor races. The government is also facing hardship from minus legacy
of colonial days. Western countries should understand the history of
Myanmar.

Q:	The English language newspaper of Thai "The Nation"also is
critical to the resumption of aid and saying *t gives damage on the
image of Japan."

M.	Before I visited Myanmar, I met Thai Prime Minister and Deputy
Prime Minister but they never said "Japan should not cooperate
Myanmar."I think it must be some different opinion from Thai
government*s.

Q:	What Japan should do from now on?

M.	Appeal to the military government that whether we can continue
the yen loan for construction of the airport or not is all depending
on how much the democratization proceed.

--------------------------------
COMMENT

America is criticizing problems of democratization and human rights of
the military government strongly and suspending the aid. China is
supporting the military government and trying to keep close relations
politically and in military field too. Japan is trying to realize
democratization by holding and maintain connection pipe to both
military government and Mrs. Suu Kyi. The difference of attitudes of
these 3 big countries, Japan, America and China come out on surface
clearly by the Japanese resumptiom of aid. The things Mr. Muto
demanded to the military government in this time was to ease the
restriction to mass medias and make an open system to the world so
that the circumstances for dialouge with opposition party can be
obtained. On the other hand, Mr. Steinberg is criticizing Japanese
resumption of yen loan and made a specific condition that it should be
linked to progress of renovation. These two opinions have similar part
in certain points. Whether Japanese tax payers and foreign countries
give their consent or not is depending on the Japanese diplomatic
efforts.

*********