THE NATION: Thailand is still bigg

Mailbag

      Thailand is still biggest
      loser

      In the editorial of March 21, ''Thailand
      biggest loser in engaging Burma'', we have
      to refute the word ''Burma''. It would be
      more accurate to refer the culprits directly
      as the ''Burmese military junta'', not
      ''Burma''.

      The junta is the main culprit, not the people
      or the country. They are ''terrorists'' in the
      sense that they intrude into Thailand and
      attack refugee camps and abduct foreign
      nationals.

      They are ''terrorists'' in the sense that they
      arrest, detain and harass all the political
      opponents in the country.

      We do not want the people of Thailand or
      any country to look upon Burma as a bad
      country and view the people of Burma, be
      they Karen, Shans, Kachins, Mons, Laba,
      Wa or Burmese as illegal migrants or
      irresponsible persons.

      A more accurate heading would be
      ''Thailand biggest loser in engaging the
      Burmese military junta.''

      Maung Maung

      General Secretary

      Federation of Trade Unions, Burma