Myanmar Ambassadors response to Was (r)

U Tin Win, Ambassador
Embassy of Myanmar
Washington, DC

You support the activities of these businesses, both Myanmar and US, that
are attempting to overturn "sanctions". At the same time, Lt. Gen. Khin Nyunt
is telling the Young Presidents Organization that US Sanctions have minimal
impact on Myanmar economy.

When things are bad, and I am sure they are, based on the number of displaced
Myanmars on Mayanmar/Thai/India border, US sanctions are used as an excuse.
When you are attempting to charm US businesses you and your bosses say the
sanctions have minimal impact. You cannot have it both ways.

The truth is, the Myanmar economy is in a sorry state (has been since 1965),
because of the ineptness of the military government. Myanmar still does not
have the basics required for sound business investments. Until the military
decides to give up and let somebody else do it, nothing will change.

We do not believe what you say, we are cautiously watching what you do. Up to
now you and your government have not done anything that makes us hopeful/