Fw: 'fairy tale'

------=_NextPart_000_000B_01BD47AA.C53C07A0

-----Original Message-----
To: burmanet-l@xxxxxxxxxxx <burmanet-l@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: aung <aung@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Monday, March 02, 1998 1:38 PM
Subject: 'fairy tale'

THANEGI 'FAIRY TALE'
By D. Aung
=20
I read with interest and sadness writer Ma Thanegi's piece "The Burmese =
Fairy Tale" (Far Eastern Economic Review, February 19, 1998, the 5th =
Column).
=20
She says she is tired of living in a fairy tale.  Her tiredness shines =
through and characterises her thoughts on Burma's past, present and =
future. =20
=20
Even though she decries what she describes as the evil (the generals) =
and the good (Daw Aung San Suu Kyi) scenario, she herself falls nto this =
trap.  For her as a writer it is apt to describe the grave legal, =
economic and social crisis of Burma as a fair tale.  The outside world =
though, generally does not see Burma's military dominated political =
crisis as a fairy tale.  Those inside Burma who want changes do not =
appear to see Burma as a fairy tale either. =20
=20
In 1989 she accused the generals of being responsible for all the bad =
things in Burma (they generally have been) and in 1998 it is Daw Aung =
San Suu Kyi's turn, in 2007, whose turn will it be?
=20
The lack of a modern economy in Burma is a long-standing problem, of =
course what the people of Burma aspire to and what the international =
community who are genuinely concerned about Burma's political crisis =
wish as well.
=20
Ma Thanegi seeks to lay the blame for Burma's economic malaise at the =
feet of Daw Suu.  This is neither fair nor sustainable; however freedom =
of speech of a democratic principle and I respect her universal right to =
speak out.  If of course she was laying such blame at the feet of the =
military who were the SLORC and are now the SPDC her liberty would be at =
risk, as it was in 1989 when they gaoled her and she would not have the =
freedom to write and publish.
=20
The generals have not shown much willingness to tolerate freedom of =
speech if the criticism is directed at them.  I am sure though they will =
not censure Ma Thanegi's.
=20
Perhaps Daw Suu has changed the lives of the people of Burma =
dramatically if she had chosen to pursue a different political path, but =
this of course is speculation.  I could not imagine that nations like =
the USA would continue to pump aid money into a country that protects =
and promotes drug barons like Khun Sa and Lo Hsing-han and that spends =
approximately more than half their nation's budget on military =
capability whilst suffering no immediate external threat.
=20
Daw Suu does of course have influence and prestige but there is a limit =
to how far any individual influence and prestige can effect governments. =
 If it could, Mother Teresa would have convinced all the world's leaders =
to feed the world's poor and hungry as the capacity exists to do this.
=20
The fact is the people always suffer first and last whilst political =
crises are played out, look at South Africa.
=20
Daw Suu along with her party has chosen to pursue a particular course of =
political action in the pursuit of the nation's long-term interests.  It =
is the action that has proven in the past to achieve results in changing =
the actions of those who  cling to power by the use of force. =20
=20
Ma Thanegi asks: "Why couldn't economic development and political =
improvement grow side by side?"  They can if those who hold power =
demonstrate the will to make this happen.  How can people like the SLORC =
generals and the SPDC ones be relied on to nurture this?  They haven't =
shown the political will.  Therefore, what Ma Thanegi advocates is that =
if the bullies won't do what they shoulod do, blame those who =
legitimately oppose them.  A good military as well as a political tactic =
that you appear to have embraced, Machiavelli would be proud.
=20
Ma Thanegi also asserts that Daw Suu could have struck up a constructive =
dialogue with the rulers and further asserts laid the groundwork for a =
sustainable democracy.  To those inside and outside the country we =
believe that this is what Daw Suu and others have been trying to do =
since the NLD won the 1990 elections, that is, strike up constructive =
dialogue.  It appears that the generals are unwilling and we all know it =
takes two to tango.  The generals have been very relucrtant, dance =
partners.
=20
Ma Thanegi I would hope is not so tired by all the politics to continue =
to ask the generals to commence constructive dialogue.  It is tragic =
that she and others have suffered incarceration for expressing =
democratic beliefs and for working a transition to a democratically =
elected government.  This would tire and deflate even the strongest of =
us. =20
=20
I understand that the daily grind of poverty either one's own or seeing =
it all around one, causes the spirit to sink.  This is the tone of Ma =
Thanegi's written words.  This makes it easy to accuse (even benignly =
and nicely) those she loves of being totally responsible.
=20
The people also have to take more responsibility to change their nation. =
 I don't say this lightly nor underestimate the difficulties and dangers =
inherent in this in Burma.  However, the people including Ma Thanegi =
can't look to those they portray as saints and sinners as their masters =
and delivers of all things good and bad.
=20
They too have to look at hemselves.  If Ma Thanegi wants to pursue a =
policy of foreign investment etc. she should do so.  If she wants to =
convince the people of its merits she should do so.  Stop harping and =
blaming and take action.  I am sure the generals will give her the =
freedom to pursue this.
=20
In politics there are many grey areas but often when we take action we =
are faced with an either or (black/while scenario) and we often have to =
choose the least harmful of two potentially damaging scenarios, the =
lesser of two evils.  We often have anguish and sometimes regret and =
then get on with the job.
=20
The NLD as a political party should be as open to criticism as any other =
party, but given that such criticism is seized upon by the military and =
added to their arsenal and then turned on the people through the NLD, =
one sees why some are reluctant to voice such criticism.  In a =
Democratic Burma the NLD along with other parties will be fair game.  =
This is how it is in democracies. =20
=20
So even though Ma Thanegi brands the international community as naive =
warriors for good against evil, and there is always a few attracted to =
the revolutionary cause out of a sense of romanticism, most are people =
deeply concerned about their brothers and sisters in all nations who =
have to live under such repressive and brutal rulers like the generals =
in Burma.
=20
Our struggle for democracy and human rights will surely be triumphant =
very soon!!!

------=_NextPart_000_000B_01BD47AA.C53C07A0

<HTML>
<HEAD>

http-equiv=3DContent-Type><!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD W3 =
HTML//EN">
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><B>-----Original =
Message-----</B><BR><B>From:=20
</B>aung &lt;<A =
href=3D"mailto:aung@xxxxxxxxxx";>aung@xxxxxxxxxx</A>&gt;<BR><B>To:=20
</B><A href=3D"mailto:burmanet-l@xxxxxxxxxxx";>burmanet-l@xxxxxxxxxxx</A> =
&lt;<A=20
href=3D"mailto:burmanet-l@xxxxxxxxxxx";>burmanet-l@xxxxxxxxxxx</A>&gt;<BR>=
<B>Cc:=20
</B>aung &lt;<A=20
href=3D"mailto:aung@xxxxxxxxxx";>aung@xxxxxxxxxx</A>&gt;<BR><B>Date: =
</B>Monday,=20
March 02, 1998 1:38 PM<BR><B>Subject: </B>'fairy =
tale'<BR><BR></DIV></FONT>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>THANEGI 'FAIRY TALE'</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>By D. Aung</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>I read with interest and sadness =
writer Ma=20
Thanegi's piece &quot;The Burmese Fairy Tale&quot; (Far Eastern Economic =
Review,=20
February 19, 1998, the 5th Column).</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>She says she is tired of living in a =
fairy=20
tale.&nbsp; Her tiredness shines through and characterises her thoughts =
on=20
Burma's past, present and future.&nbsp; </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>Even though she decries what she =
describes as=20
the evil (the generals) and the good (Daw Aung San Suu Kyi) scenario, =
she=20
herself falls nto this trap.&nbsp; For her as a writer it is apt to =
describe the=20
grave legal, economic and social crisis of Burma as a fair tale.&nbsp; =
The=20
outside world though, generally does not see Burma's military dominated=20
political crisis as a fairy tale.&nbsp; Those inside Burma who want =
changes do=20
not appear to see Burma as a fairy tale either.&nbsp; </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>In 1989 she accused the generals of =
being=20
responsible for all the bad things in Burma (they generally have been) =
and in=20
1998 it is Daw Aung San Suu Kyi's turn, in 2007, whose turn will it=20
be?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>The lack of a modern economy in =
Burma is a=20
long-standing problem, of course what the people of Burma aspire to and =
what the=20
int</FONT><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>ernational community who are =
genuinely=20
concerned about Burma's political crisis wish as well.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>Ma Thanegi seeks to lay the blame =
for Burma's=20
economic malaise at the feet of Daw Suu.&nbsp; This is neither fair nor=20
sustainable; however freedom of speech of a democratic principle and I =
respect=20
her universal right to speak out.&nbsp; If of course she was laying such =
blame=20
at the feet of the military who were the SLORC and are now the SPDC her =
liberty=20
would be at risk, as it was in 1989 when they gaoled her and she would =
not have=20
the freedom to write and publish.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>The generals have not shown much =
willingness to=20
tolerate freedom of speech if the criticism is directed at them.&nbsp; I =
am sure=20
though they will not censure Ma Thanegi's.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>Perhaps Daw Suu has changed the =
lives of the=20
people of Burma dramatically if she had chosen to pursue a different =
political=20
path, but this of course is speculation.&nbsp; I could not imagine that =
nations=20
like the USA would continue to pump aid money into a country that =
protects and=20
promotes drug barons like Khun Sa and Lo Hsing-han and that spends =
approximately=20
more than half their nation's budget on military capability whilst =
suffering no=20
immediate external threat.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>Daw Suu does of course have =
influence and=20
prestige but there is a limit to how far any individual influence and =
prestige=20
can effect governments.&nbsp; If it could, Mother Teresa would have =
convinced=20
all the world's leaders to feed the world's poor and hungry as the =
capacity=20
exists to do this.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>The fact is the people always suffer =
first and=20
last whilst political crises are played out, look at South =
Africa.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>Daw Suu along with her party has =
chosen to=20
pursue a particular course of political action in the pursuit of the =
nation's=20
long-term interests.&nbsp; It is the action that has proven in the past =
to=20
achieve results in changing the actions of those who&nbsp; cling to =
power by the=20
use of force.&nbsp;&nbsp;</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>Ma Thanegi asks: &quot;Why couldn't =
economic=20
development and political improvement grow side by side?&quot;&nbsp; =
They can if=20
those who hold power demonstrate the will to make this happen.&nbsp; How =
can=20
people like the SLORC generals and the SPDC ones be relied on to nurture =

this?&nbsp; They haven't shown the political will.&nbsp; Therefore, what =
Ma=20
Thanegi advocates is that if the bullies won't do what they shoulod do, =
blame=20
those who legitimately oppose them.&nbsp; A good military as well as a =
political=20
tactic that you appear to have embraced, Machiavelli would be=20
proud.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>Ma Thanegi also asserts that Daw Suu =
could have=20
struck up a constructive dialogue with the rulers and further asserts =
laid the=20
groundwork for a sustainable democracy.&nbsp; To those inside and =
outside the=20
country we believe that this is what Daw Suu and others have been trying =
to do=20
since the NLD won the 1990 elections, that is, strike up constructive=20
dialogue.&nbsp; It appears that the generals are unwilling and we all =
know it=20
takes two to tango.&nbsp; The generals have been very relucrtant, dance=20
partners.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>Ma Thanegi I would hope is not so =
tired by all=20
the politics to continue to ask the generals to commence constructive=20
dialogue.&nbsp; It is tragic that she and others have suffered =
incarceration for=20
expressing democratic beliefs and for working a transition to a =
democratically=20
elected government.&nbsp; This would tire and deflate even the strongest =
of=20
us.&nbsp; </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>I understand that the daily grind of =
poverty=20
either one's own or seeing it all around one, causes the spirit to =
sink.&nbsp;=20
This is the tone of Ma Thanegi's written words.&nbsp; This makes it easy =
to=20
accuse (even benignly and nicely) those she loves of being totally=20
responsible.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>The people also have to take more =
responsibility=20
to change their nation.&nbsp; I don't say this lightly nor underestimate =
the=20
difficulties and dangers inherent in this in Burma.&nbsp; However, the =
people=20
including Ma Thanegi can't look to those they portray as saints and =
sinners as=20
their masters and delivers of all things good and bad.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>They too have to look at =
hemselves.&nbsp; If Ma=20
Thanegi wants to pursue a policy of foreign investment etc. she should =
do=20
so.&nbsp; If she wants to convince the people of its merits she should =
do=20
so.&nbsp; Stop harping and blaming and take action.&nbsp; I am sure the =
generals=20
will give her the freedom to pursue this.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>In politics there are many grey =
areas but often=20
when we take action we are faced with an either or (black/while =
scenario) and we=20
often have to choose the least harmful of two potentially damaging =
scenarios,=20
the lesser of two evils.&nbsp; We often have anguish and sometimes =
regret and=20
then get on with the job.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>The NLD as a political party should =
be as open=20
to criticism as any other party, but given that such criticism is seized =
upon by=20
the military and added to their arsenal and then turned on the people =
through=20
the NLD, one sees why some are reluctant to voice such criticism.&nbsp; =
In a=20
Democratic Burma the NLD along with other parties will be fair =
game.&nbsp; This=20
is how it is in democracies.&nbsp; </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>So even though Ma Thanegi brands the =

international community as naive warriors for good against evil, and =
there is=20
always a few attracted to the revolutionary cause out of a sense of =
romanticism,=20
most are people deeply concerned about their brothers and sisters in all =
nations=20
who have to live under such repressive and brutal rulers like the =
generals in=20
Burma.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>Our struggle for democracy and human =
rights will=20
surely be triumphant very soon!!!</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_000B_01BD47AA.C53C07A0--