THE NATION: Chuan places emphasis

Politics

      Chuan places emphasis
      on social development

      Thailand will place more importance on
      ''people-centered development'', aware that
      the economic downturn has had a negative
      social impact on the people who are crucial
      players in a brighter future, Prime Minister
      Chuan Leekpai said yesterday.

      The government is aware that the economic
      crisis, that revealed the lack of a substantial
      social security net and led to rising
      unemployment, has badly affected
      disadvantaged people who rely on families
      and communities for support, Chuan said.

      ''At the heart of our social agenda is the
      basic premise that people are our most
      valuable asset and must be at the centre of
      all our future development endeavours,'' the
      premier said.

      ''Indeed, the very concept of
      'people-centred development' is the
      underlying principle of our Eighth National
      Economic and Social Development Plan,''
      he added.

      He was speaking at a half-day consultative
      meeting, organised by the UN
      Development Programme and the
      government, on the social impact of the
      economic crisis.

      One of the most obvious effects has been
      the increase in unemployment, lay-offs and
      loss of income, the premier said, adding
      that by the end of this year about two million
      people may be out of work.

      Addressing the meeting, the prime minister
      said the downturn has had a major impact
      on social services, particularly on health
      care and education.

      ''The pressure on the social services will
      have a profound impact, not only on
      working men and women, but also the
      future of our children,'' he said.

      The government has placed prime
      importance on citizen's rights to medical
      attention and education, Chuan said. At
      present students across the country have
      been affected mainly because parents have
      experienced a sudden loss of income.

      However, the premier noted that spending
      on public health and education must be
      maintained as much as possible.

      Calling for the government and the people
      to re-examine not only its economic but
      also social agenda, Chuan said that the
      crisis should be used to ''review our painful
      and valuable experiences and learn from
      them''.

      In his speech, Chuan said the economic
      malaise offers Thailand the opportunity to
      get its house back in order so as to achieve
      a ''balanced development'', with equal
      emphasis on social and economic
      aspirations.

      ''Our challenge now is to make this social
      agenda a major feature of our recovery
      package, as well as a long-term national
      priority and commitment,'' Chuan said.
      Cooperation by the government, private
      sector and the people can determine the
      accomplishment of the country's recovery
      package, which must be realistic, he
      added.

      BY JEERAWAT NA THALANG and
      MARISA CHIMPRABHA