THE NATION: Australia praises Thail

Australia praises Thailand, Myanmar for Aussie hostage
release

posted at 15:10 hrs (Bangkok time)

SYDNEY, April 2 -- Australian Foreign Minister Alexander Downer Thursday praised the Thai
and Myanmar (Burmese) governments for helping secure the release of Australian aid worker
Nicholas Cheesman.

Downer said expressed delighted that pro-Myanmar guerrillas released Cheesman and his Thai
colleague Ngamsuk Rattanasathien on Wednesday after holding them for five days.

''I am delighted that Nicholas Cheesman has been released. The Australian government has worked
very hard for his release,'' he told reporters.

''On this occasion we asked the Thai and the Burmese governments to assist us.

''They both gave us very great assistance and in particular we appreciate the work that was done by
the Thai government to help get Nicholas Cheesman out of the difficult situation he was found in.

''So, we are delighted with the outcome of this case.''

Downer made the comments before reports emerged in Bangkok that Thai authorities were to
prosecute Cheesman for illegally leaving Thailand, charging that he had voluntarily crossed the Moei
river to Myanmar.

Downer said Australia's ambassador in Bangkok told him Cheesman was in good health and had
been well looked after by the guerrillas.

But his capture had served as a warning to Australians travelling in trouble spots around the world,
he said.

A spokesman for the Overseas Service Bureau, which coordinates Australian Volunteers Abroad
programs, described Cheesman's release as a ''great relief''.

''This has been achieved through the efforts of many parties in a very complext situation,'' the
bureau's chief executive Bill Armstrong said in a statement. (AFP)