Burma reed

I am researching an exotic weed,  known as Burma reed (Neyraudia
reynaudiana).  This reed has invaded endangered habitat in southern
Florida and it is difficult to control.  I have been told by an
associate from Thailand and a student from Burma that this tall reed may
be used as a windbreak surrounding crops in the mountains.  So far, this
its only known economic use.  If it is possible, please direct me to any
information that might exist on this plant.  It was supposedly brought
into this country and planted in a U.S.Dept. of Agriculture test garden
in the 1920s.  The area where it has been found most abundantly is in or
near a military base in southern Florida.

Thank you in advance for any help you can supply.

R. Rasha

pine_lily@xxxxxxxxxxx