BKK Post,April 21, 1998. SALWEEN SC

April 21, 1998. SALWEEN SCANDAL

Plodprasop ousts three top staffers
Chakrit Ridmontri

The new Forestry chief, in his first day at work yesterday, announced
the forthcoming removal of three senior forestry officials over the
Salween National Park and wildlife sanctuary logging scandal.

Thavorn Lamseejan, director of the Natural Resources Conservation
Office, Jumroon Taschan, director of the National Park Division, and
Viroj Pimmanrojnagool, director of the Wildlife Conservation Division,
all face the axe.

Plodprasop Suraswadi said: "This doesn't mean these officials made
serious mistakes but they have to be held responsible for the scandal
because they directly oversee the parks and sanctuaries."

He announced their removal at a meeting with forestry staff on the first
day in the job but explained that the officials will have a chance to
redeem themselves by volunteering to tackle major illegal logging cases
in other protected areas.

"I will give them swords to fight with the illegal logging rings. If
they succeed, I will return them to their original positions," said Mr
Plodprasop.

Mr Jumroon said he was ready to face any consequence. The other two were
unavailable for comment.

At the meeting yesterday, former forestry chief Sathit Sawintara
officially handed over the job to Mr Plodprasop, who was fisheries chief
for eight years before becoming secretary-general of the Agricultural
Land Reform Office for one year.

Mr Sathit was made an inspector general at the Ministry of Agriculture
after being accused of negligence in the Salween scandal.

Mr Plodprasop praised Mr Sathit for taking the transfer "like a
gentleman". He also praised deputy forestry chief Prawat Thanadkha, who
was also present and who ignited the scandal when he attempted to
deliver a five-million-baht bribe intended for him, to the prime
minister.

"If Mr Prawat kept the bribe money, no one would have known about the
Salween scandal. Moreover, I wouldn't be here as the forestry chief," he
said.