Statement regarding Imposition Hars

Statement on Sentencing NLD MP-Elect, Daw San San, to 25 Years of Imprisonment

	This is one of the acts emerging from the systematic attempt by the
SLORC/SPDC to break up the National League for Democracy.

(1) We strongly denounce the sentencing to 25 years of imprisonment of NLD
MP-Elect, Daw San San, elected from the constituency of Rangoon Strand
Township.
(2) The harsh penalty was imposed, after a summery trial under unjust laws,
with no valid reason. Telling the news media truthfully about activities of
the SLORC/SPDC military junta relating to the NLD, in one's capacity as a
representative of the people, and participating in the organizing
activities of a legal political party, in one's capacity as a member,  do
not amount to breaking the law or committing any crime.
(3) This act of the SPDC military clique shows that the fundamental human
rights of  the people of Burma are continued to be gravely trampled upon
and that the legally instituted political party of the NLD and the members
of parliament-elect have to struggle on with great difficulty, under severe
restrictions and repression imposed by the SPDC military dictatorship.
(4) One of the central executive committee member of the NLD, U Soe Myint,
was recently arrested by the SPDC military intelligence men who took him
away under the pretext of  the need to make an interrogation. Since a few
months back, the SPDC military dictatorship has been systematically
harassing the members of parliament-elect of the NLD and the party workers,
at various levels, with arrest, obstruction and restrictions.
(5) We seriously condemn all the activities of the SPDC aimed at breaking
up the NLD and reaffirm our determination to relentlessly struggle on for
the establishment the democratic system in accordance with the wishes of
the people.

April 22, 1998