SLORC/SPDC National Convention

------=_NextPart_000_000D_01BD791C.FE87CDC0

"The National Convention must succeed."
"The National Convention is genuine national politics."
"The National Convention is the Concern of All Our National Races."
"With hands linked firm for the National Convention to hold."
"The National Convention, the Voice of the People."
"Our Brotherhood, with hands together, the Union to establish."
"Let's defend for posterity of Our Nation's sovereignty."

The above slogans can be seen in most big cities of Burma.  A friend of =
mine who returned from a recent Burma visit told me the other day that =
when she saw one of these slogans she asked her taxi driver whether that =
was the real desire of the people, she got the answer: "No.  This is the =
desire of the military."  Absolutely true.

As a former delegate I know very well about the National Convention.  I =
had participated in it for more than one year -- three big sessions. =20

The SLORC/SPDC National Convention is simply a pretence prearranged and =
controlled strictly at every level. =20

The National Convention Work Committee is regulating and dominating =
every aspect of the Convention.  For instance, nine alternate chairmen =
of the Presidium had to read for five days the 830-page paper written in =
advance by the Work Committee.  Based on that paper, detailed principles =
under the heading of "Composition and Structure of State" and "Head of =
State" were derived.

Therefore, the delegates are attending the Convention with uncertain and =
poorly-defined hopes.  Although the real delegates of the people lodged =
protests against undemocratic moves by the Convention authority many =
tim, they were just consistently ignored.=20

There are cases of one principle contradicting another amongst those =
laid down by the National Convention.  For instance, under the heading =
"Aims of the State", item #4 affirms "The promotion of multi-party =
democracy" but #6 affairms "The participation of the military in the =
leading role in national politics of the State".

It is very obvious that the National Convention is performing with the =
aim to legalise all the human rights violations committed by the =
SLORC/SPDC because one of the basic principles said:  "The military has =
the right to organize all citizens for the construction of the nation."=20

The six aims mentioned in Article 1 of the National Convention =
Procedural Code are the cardinal principles circumscribing the whole =
Convention.  There is no permission to refer history as a background to =
debate for the cessation of civil war which has been the main cause of =
human rights violations in Burma.  For the SLORC/SPDC, it is immaterial =
whether to have constitutional provisions guaranteeing the equality of =
all the indigenous ethnic nationalities or to define where and how the =
sovereignty resides, and it allows the discussion only about the =
stability of sovereignty.  The aim of "the participation of the =
military, in the leading role, in the national politics of the State" is =
the attempt by the SLORC/SPDC military clique to have the constitutional =
rights to interfere in civil administration.

The freedom of speech of the delegates is totally prohibited by Articles =
1, 5(c), 8(j), 37, 45(a), (b), (c) and (j) of the Procedural Code.

Before the elections, the SLORC repeatedly promised to transfer power.  =
When the election results were
known, they were supposed to allow the elected representatives to gather =
and form People's Assembly to which the three branches of power would =
subsequently be transferred.   However, when the SLORC failed to get the =
desired result from the elections, they blatantly broke their promise =
and  ignored the election rules.  Yet according to the SLORC's own =
declaration #1/90, the duty of the elected representatives was to draw =
up the constitution.  If that really was the case, only they should have =
been allowed to frame the constitution as a Constitutional Convention.  =
There would have been no reason to convene the National Convention.

The National Convention plays a significant role in the SLORC/SPDC's =
determination not to hand over power.  It is nearly ten years after the =
elections but there is no sign of transferring power.  The National =
Convention has been adjourned for more than one year and still there is =
no sign of resuming.

The SLORC/SPDC has always been gradually stepping up its cruelty.  =
During the name of SLORC the military dictators rarely announced giving =
death sentences on political prisoners.  But after becoming an ASEAN =
member and changing their group's name to SPDC they openly announced =
giving death sentences on some political prisoners -- accusing them of =
committing high treason.  Many were also given long jail terms.  All of =
them are just pro-democracy activists.

In conclusion, I would like to urge all pro-democracy Burmese people to =
join hands together with one another with brotherly love and myitta for =
fighting against the military dictatorship till we restore democracy and =
human rights to our motherland, the Goldenland of Burma.

The pro-democracy revolution will surely be triumphal!!!

D.Aung

------=_NextPart_000_000D_01BD791C.FE87CDC0

<HTML>
<HEAD>

http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000>&quot;The National Convention must=20
succeed.&quot;</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000></FONT>&quot;The National Convention is =
genuine=20
national politics.&quot;&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&quot;The National Convention is the Concern of All Our National=20
Races.&quot;</DIV>
<DIV>&quot;With hands linked firm for the National Convention to=20
hold.&quot;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000>&quot;The National Convention, the Voice of =
the=20
People.&quot;</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000>&quot;Our Brotherhood, with hands together, =
the Union=20
to establish.&quot;</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000>&quot;Let's defend for posterity of Our =
Nation's=20
sovereignty.&quot;</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000>The above slogans can be seen in most big =
cities of=20
Burma.&nbsp; A friend of mine who returned from a recent Burma visit =
told me the=20
other day that when she saw one of these slogans she asked her taxi =
driver=20
whether that was the real desire of the people, she got the answer:=20
&quot;No.&nbsp; This is the desire of the military.&quot;&nbsp; =
Absolutely=20
true.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000>As a former delegate I know very well about =
the=20
National Convention.&nbsp; I had participated in it for more than one =
year --=20
three big sessions.&nbsp; </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000>The SLORC/SPDC National Convention is simply =
a pretence=20
prearranged and controlled strictly at every level.&nbsp; </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000>The National Convention Work Committee is =
regulating=20
and dominating every aspect of the Convention.&nbsp; For instance, nine=20
alternate chairmen of the Presidium had to read for five days the =
830-page paper=20
written in advance by the Work Committee.&nbsp; Based on that paper, =
detailed=20
principles under the heading of &quot;Composition and Structure of =
State&quot;=20
and &quot;Head of State&quot; were derived.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000>Therefore, the delegates are attending the =
Convention=20
with uncertain and poorly-defined hopes.&nbsp; Although the real =
delegates of=20
the people lodged protests against undemocratic moves by the Convention=20
authority many tim, they were just consistently =
ignored.&nbsp;</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000>There are cases of one principle =
contradicting another=20
amongst those laid down by the National Convention.&nbsp; For instance, =
under=20
the heading &quot;Aims of the State&quot;, item #4 affirms &quot;The =
promotion=20
of multi-party democracy&quot; but #6 affairms &quot;The participation =
of the=20
military in the leading role in national politics of the=20
State&quot;.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000>It is very obvious that the National =
Convention is=20
performing with the aim to legalise all the human rights violations =
committed by=20
the SLORC/SPDC because one of the basic principles said:&nbsp; &quot;The =

military has the right to organize all citizens for the construction of =
the=20
nation.&quot; </FONT></DIV>
<DIV>The six aims mentioned in Article 1 of the National Convention =
Procedural=20
Code are the cardinal principles circumscribing the whole =
Convention.&nbsp;=20
There is no permission to refer history as a background to debate for =
the=20
cessation of civil war which has been the main cause of human rights =
violations=20
in Burma.&nbsp; For the SLORC/SPDC, it is immaterial whether to have=20
constitutional provisions guaranteeing the equality of all the =
indigenous ethnic=20
nationalities or to define where and how the sovereignty resides, and it =
allows=20
the discussion only about the stability of sovereignty.&nbsp; The aim of =

&quot;the participation of the military, in the leading role, in the =
national=20
politics of the State&quot; is the attempt by the SLORC/SPDC military =
clique to=20
have the constitutional rights to interfere in civil =
administration.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>The freedom of speech of the delegates is totally prohibited by =
Articles 1,=20
5(c), 8(j), 37, 45(a), (b), (c) and (j) of the Procedural Code.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Before the elections, the SLORC repeatedly promised to transfer=20
power.&nbsp; When the election results were</DIV>
<DIV>known, they were supposed to allow the elected representatives to =
gather=20
and form People's Assembly to which the three branches of power would=20
subsequently be transferred.&nbsp;&nbsp; However, when the SLORC failed =
to get=20
the desired result from the elections, they blatantly broke their =
promise=20
and&nbsp; ignored the election rules.&nbsp; Yet according to the SLORC's =
own=20
declaration #1/90, the duty of the elected representatives was to draw =
up the=20
constitution.&nbsp; If that really was the case, only they should have =
been=20
allowed to frame the constitution as a Constitutional Convention.&nbsp; =
There=20
would have been no reason to convene the National Convention.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>The National Convention plays a significant role in the =
SLORC/SPDC's=20
determination not to hand over power.&nbsp; It is nearly ten years after =
the=20
elections but there is no sign of transferring power.&nbsp; The National =

Convention has been adjourned for more than one year and still there is =
no sign=20
of resuming.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>The SLORC/SPDC has always been gradually stepping up its =
cruelty.&nbsp;=20
During the name of SLORC the military dictators rarely announced giving =
death=20
sentences on political prisoners.&nbsp; But after becoming an ASEAN =
member and=20
changing their group's name to SPDC they openly announced giving death =
sentences=20
on some political prisoners -- accusing them of committing high =
treason.&nbsp;=20
Many were also given long jail terms.&nbsp; All of them are just =
pro-democracy=20
activists.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>In conclusion, I would like to urge all pro-democracy Burmese =
people to=20
join hands together with one another with brotherly love and myitta for =
fighting=20
against the military dictatorship till we restore democracy and human =
rights to=20
our motherland, the Goldenland of Burma.</DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 face=3DArial size=3D3></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 face=3DArial size=3D3>The pro-democracy =
revolution will=20
surely be triumphal!!!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>D.Aung</DIV>