KHRG #98-04 Part 4/7 (Camp attacks)

                    ATTACKS ON KAREN REFUGEE CAMPS: 1998

           An Independent Report by the Karen Human Rights Group
                     May 29, 1998     /     KHRG #98-04

  *** PART 4 OF 7; SEE OTHER POSTINGS FOR OTHER PARTS OF THIS REPORT ***

                                  #H3.
NAME:    "Naw Eh"      SEX: F     AGE: 38    Sgaw Karen Buddhist
FAMILY:  Married, 3 children                 INTERVIEWED: 15/3/98
ADDRESS: Kyet Paun village, Hlaing Bwe township, Pa'an district; now in
Huay Kaloke

["Naw Eh"'s house is in Section 7, beside the main gate which faces west
toward Burma.  The initial 'reconnaissance' group entered the camp past
her house, while the main force attacked from the opposite side of the
camp.  Her house was in one of the few parts of the camp which were not
burned.]

Q:  When and how did they come to the camp?
A:  First on March 10th at ten or eleven o'clock, a Thai soldier came into
the camp with a motorcycle.  He wore civilian clothes with military
trousers.  He went to see the section leader, whose name is Pyay Kyaw.
Then he went into the camp and after he came back he stopped and told us,
"Stop weaving your roof because it is too dark, go to sleep."  [They were
in their house making leaf shingles to repair their roof.]   Then I went to

sleep with my daughter, and after a while a truck went past, between some
motorcycles.  There were three motorcycles in front of the truck and four
behind.  The car looked like a military car but it looked like an old one.
It
was green with stripes - you could see it because it was full moon.  It was

very big, it looked like a military truck.  It could contain 20 people, and
it
was full of soldiers.  They were all wearing shirts with two pockets,
striped
[striped camouflage] uniforms and they had guns.  They came from the
main road to Wangka [the border], from the direction of the two Thai
gates.  They had to pass through the main gate.  After that this road goes
all the sections, it goes to Section One, Section Two, sections 4, 6, and
8?

When I saw the truck I couldn't sleep, I was afraid that maybe it was
DKBA or Burmese soldiers.  The Thai had told the section leader that the
situation was not so good, and when I went to my friend's house he'd also
told me that the situation was not so good.  The truck stayed in the camp
about half an hour, and after I'd been asleep for just a moment it came
back.   Now there was only one person on each motorcycle and three
people in the cab of the truck.  I didn't see the others.  When they came
there were no lights on the truck but the motorcycles had their lights on,
and there were three soldiers on each motorcycle.  When they came back
there was one person on each motorcycle and only the first motorcycle had
its lights on.  Also, they were noisy when they came but when they went
back they were silent [she demonstrated that on their way into the camp
they were revving their engines, but on the way back they were idling and
going slowly].  A few minutes after they came back, the electric lights at
the Thai checkpoint turned off, and after that the shooting started.

After the Thai soldiers [on the motorcycles; she believes that they were
Thai] had been away for a while we heard the gunshots and we fled.  They
fired mortars and guns, all together.  I couldn't do anything, I just
called
my daughter and told her, "Run , run, where is your father?"  We  couldn't
do anything, I was with my daughter but my husband was on security duty
that night.  They have to guard, ten persons each night [refugees have
their
own camp security patrols].

We heard explosions from section one and section four, we were afraid
and we ran.  They fired  big weapons and guns.  I heard the sound of heavy
weapons over there and over there [pointing all around].  They fired shells

across our section and they landed in the beanfield.  Maybe some landed in
the camp, I don't know.  We were afraid.  When we ran into the field a
shell landed in front of us and we ran quickly.  We shouted, "Run, run!"
Some were shouting, some were running, some were crying, some were
running but they had no sarong.  We ran to the school in Section 7 and
continued on to Thai Huay Kaloke [the Thai village beside the camp].  I
fled to the Thai village and my legs were shaking.

After their guns fired for a while my husband came back home carrying his
rice, he put it down on the ground and ran without it to the Thai village.

When he arrived in the Thai village he said he didn't know if the shooters
were Thai or Burmese.  I don't know myself if they were Thai or Burmese
soldiers.  They were wearing striped [camouflage] uniforms and their hats
looked like Burmese soldiers' hats.

When the camp was burning I stayed in the Thai village because there was
no one going back so we dared not go back.  The Burmese and the DKBA
went back at 2 a.m. and we went back to the camp at 5 a.m.  When the
explosions stopped my husband and some people went back to the camp
but I dared not go back.  At five in the morning we came back home.

Q:  Did you see the Thai soldiers when you ran?
A:  Yes, I saw the Thai fire truck.  Before the burning we didn't see the
Thai soldiers in the camp, but after the burning they came in groups of
ten.
The other truck and the motorcycles did not come back after the soldiers
had finished shooting.

Q:  Do you think that when the truck first came the Thai soldiers were
staying at the checkpoint?
A:  I don't know, maybe they knew that the DKBA and the Burmese
soldiers would come.  When they were coming the Thai said to me, "The
situation is not so good so don't weave your roof.  It is the time to
sleep,
why don't you sleep?"  Maybe they had an agreement with the DKBA and
the Burmese soldiers.  I dare not speak about that.  We are afraid of the
Thai soldiers.

Q:  Do you think that this time the Burmese soldiers came with DKBA?
A:  Yes, I think they were Burmese and DKBA.  They said, "Within three
days you all have to go back to Burma.  If you don't go back we will come
again and kill all the people".  A  woman who stays in Section 1 told me
that.  So that whole night we were afraid [the third night after the
attack].
We were afraid, we were shaking and we thought that we would die, and
that night the Thai soldiers said, "No one can go outside the camp to
sleep.
If you go outside the camp the Thai police will come and attack you and
send you back to Burma".  The Thai soldiers asked, "Why do you go to
sleep outside the camp?"  [Many refugees wanted to spend the night in the
fields outside the camp.]  But the [refugee] section leader said, "Those
refugees who want to go sleep outside the camp can do so."  We didn't
know if the DKBA and the Burmese soldiers would come again.  We were
afraid of the DKBA but we were also afraid of the Thai soldiers, so we
dared not go outside the camp to sleep.  We fled over near the school and
hid there.  The mosquitoes bit us and the insects bit us, we slept like
that
and the cars came.  Three cars came, the first had his lights on and the
others had no lights.  They looked like the car which came three days
before.  I don't know if they looked like Thai cars or Burmese cars because

I have never seen a Thai car.  But the car that came the first day and the
cars that came three days after looked the same, and there were a lot of
soldiers with big weapons.  We thought maybe they had come to tell us to
were Burmese or Thai soldiers.  We were afraid.  There were all wearing
striped uniforms.  When I saw the cars I thought that we were all going to
die.  Maybe it was about midnight, I had my watch but I didn't look.  We
were shaking and I was together with my friends.  My friends told me,
"Don't say anything, we live in the Thai's country so the Thai will kill
us."

Now we run every night.  I don't know if they will come back, we are
afraid and we go and sleep outside every night.  We are afraid of Thais,
Burmese, and DKBA; everybody.  We are afraid and we have to run away
and sleep outside.  The Thai soldiers said, "Don't stay here.  Gawlawa
[white foreigners] won't look after you.  Go back to Burma."  We are
afraid.  The Thai soldier who talked to us was the one who stays at the
checkpoint.  He told us, "I told you to go back to Burma and you haven't
gone.  Why do you trust the Gawlawa?  We are bigger than the Gawlawa.
If we block the road then the Gawlawa's rice won't be able to come.  If we
send you, you must go back.  You have a country.  Why don't you go
back?  Why are you so happy to stay here?"  We are not happy to stay
here!  We can't stay in Burma so we come and stay here.  If we had our
country why would we come and stay in their country?  Why do they
speak to us like that?  "If we block the Gawlawa's rice you won't be able
receive it."  The section leader explained what they said to us because we
can't understand Thai language.  I want to hate the Thais but I dare not.
I'm afraid.

Q:  Do you still dare to stay here?
A:  I don't know, where the people stay I will follow them.  If the others
go
to another place I will follow, but I will never go back to Burma again.
We were not happy in Burma, the Burmese made us suffer.  My brothers
and sisters live in Burma, but I'm afraid of the Burmese.  The Burmese
treated us badly and the DKBA also.  When the Burmese hit us, the
DKBA just watched and they didn't do anything.  I had to build the road,
the Burmese soldiers said that the foreigners would come and inspect the
road that the Burmese wanted to show them.  They said that the foreigners
would come and look at Ku Baw Chaung, Du Yaw Baw Chaung, T'Nay
Hsah Baw Chaung, Paung Ye Bu, and Baw Chaung.  So we had to build
the road and we had no time to rest.  Someone from every house had to go.
If we didn't go we had to pay 200 Kyats.  How could we give them 200
Kyats when we had no money?  I had nothing, no money, but I had to buy
rice, 500 or 600 Kyats for one basket.  Now it is 1,500 Kyats for one
basket!  We had to build the road near the mountain, and it was very stony.

We built the road from my village to Daw Lan and to Thaya Gone.  The
Burmese soldiers stay in Daw Lan and Thaya Gone.  After that we had to
build the road from T'Nay Hsah to Nabu.  They said the foreigners will
come and that the foreigners don't like it when the roads are not good.  So

the soldiers told us to work.  We had to build the road in the afternoon
but
they didn't want us to have lunch.  They hit us.  They kicked me.  If we
took a rest they also shouted at us.  If we went and protested to DKBA
they just said we had to work with discipline.  I couldn't work, I wanted
take a rest, I was very tired and I nearly died, so I came to the camp and
have stayed here for one year already.  I arrived in this camp when it had
all been burned and everything was lost [after the January 1997 burning].
Nobody gave me clothes, I stayed with my cousin, I was not registered in
the camp.  Slowly, I started to work and I asked my friends to give me
some clothes.

Q:  What do you think about the DKBA?
A:  The DKBA don't remember anything.  They looked like drunkards.
They had taken the medicine [drugs].  They looked like fools.  When they
take the medicine they don't know anything and we are afraid that they will

kill us.  We dare not go near them.  We are afraid of the DKBA and of the
Burmese.  The Burmese are friendly to the DKBA, but what they will do
one day to the DKBA we don't know.
                                  #H4.
1) NAME:  "Saw Lah"    SEX: M   AGE: 52            Sgaw Karen Christian
2) NAME:  "Naw Wah"    SEX: F   AGE: 43            Sgaw Karen Christian
FAMILY:   Married, 3 children aged 15, 17 and 20   INTERVIEWED: 16/3/98
ADDRESS:  Wangka village, Myawaddy township; now in Huay Kaloke

["Saw Lah" and "Naw Wah" are husband and wife.  They stay in Section 1
of the camp, where they have lived for 14 years.]

Q:  Can you describe what happened?
"Saw Lah":  We decided to flee because we were afraid.  I was afraid of
the bullets.  When the house was burning we ran.  What else could we do?
Everything was burning.  We saw the soldiers setting fire to the houses.
We were hiding and we didn't know where to run.  We hid just a short
time, not more than 15 minutes.  We were staying under the house and
when I saw the fire I ran away.
"Naw Wah":  We were under the house.  If the house was not burning we
would not have run.  Someone had told us that if they came it wouldn't be
to burn our houses, just to find people [important people like camp
leaders].

Q:  What happened when you fled?
"Saw Lah":  They came from Section One.  We saw them, they started to
burn the houses, one after the other.  When they came they passed in front
of us, and when they were some distance away we started to run.  [At that
time he was hiding beside the streambed in section 2.]  The other people
had run and only the three of us were left:  myself, my wife, and the
woman who sells chicken in her shop.  All my children had already fled.
When we ran to the road in Section Two, a soldier touched me with his
gun.  He asked me, "Are you Buddhist or Christian?"  He spoke Sgaw
Karen.  If I had answered that I am a Christian he would have killed me, so

I answered that I was Buddhist.  He didn't say anything when I said that I
was Buddhist, he just took my things and then he said, "We told you to go
back to Burma so why didn't you go back?  I will kill you."  When he
pointed his gun at me he saw my watch and he took it.  He also took my
wife's watch and a ring with a stone.  He took everything, my bag and one
camera, but there was no money in my bag.  In my bag there was a Bible,
but he didn't see it because he just took the whole bag.  I was afraid they

would see the Bible, but they didn't do anything because the commander
told them to be quick about it and they went away.  He was also Sgaw
Karen.
"Naw Wah":  The one who touched us with his gun spoke Sgaw Karen.
Some others also spoke Sgaw Karen but they were drunk so they didn't
know what they were doing.  They asked for money.   I said, "I have no
money".
"Saw Lah":  After the soldiers left us we went to the stream.  When we
ran to the stream the soldiers came and asked some women, "Are you
Christian or Buddhist?"  I know these women because they stay with my
sister.  The women said, "We are Christians".  When the women said that,
a soldier threatened them with his gun so the women said, "Oh we lied to
you, we are not Christian, we are Buddhist!" and then the soldier didn't do

anything.  He took the women's watches and he asked for their money.
One woman said "I have no money" so they checked her neck [to see if she
had a necklace].  Then they went back to the other side of the stream.  I
heard all that because they were hiding near us.
"Naw Wah":  The soldiers told some of the women, "If you are Christian
we will kill you".  Nobody dared to say that they are Christian.

Q:  How many soldiers did you see?
"Saw Lah":  I saw 8 soldiers.  We saw the soldiers when we ran.  They
didn't seem normal but they did not smell of wine.  One was holding a
walkie-talkie, maybe he was a commander.  The one with the walkie-talkie
stood near us.  The other soldiers were standing behind him.  They were
wearing striped shirts and their trousers were also striped, the same as
the
Thai soldiers, with hats.  Their hats also looked like Thai soldiers' hats.

[He indicated a baseball-cap style hat.]  The colour of the hats was dark
green.  I didn't see any scarves or any number on their uniforms, I dared
not look.  They wore striped uniforms and jungle boots.  They came in
three separate groups.  One group was in the middle, another on the left,
and a third group was behind a tree [a tree near the stream at the back of
section one; probably their mortar support group].  They all came on a
logging truck.
"Naw Wah":  Some other people saw the car.  But we ran because we
were afraid.

Q:  Did you see their weapons?
"Saw Lah":  AK,  he touched me with an AK for sure [AK47].  I know
because the AK is short.  The other ones had M16, G3, and 79.  The
Burmese use that kind of gun, I know it.  Not G4 but G3, AR, AK, and 79;
the one that they shelled with was a 79 [M79 grenade launcher; G3 is the
standard Burmese Army assault rifle, not generally used by opposition
forces.  AK47, M16 and AR are commonly used by opposition forces,
occasionally also by the Burmese Army].
                                #H5.
NAME:    "Naw Eh Say"    SEX: F     AGE: 30      Pwo Karen Buddhist
FAMILY:  Married, 4 children aged 2-12           INTERVIEWED: 16/3/98
ADDRESS: Du Yaw village, Pa'an District; now in Huay Kaloke

["Naw Eh Say" has lived in Huay Kaloke camp for 10 years.  She now
lives in Section 1.]

Q:  When did you start to run?
A:  When I heard gunshots I started to run.  Another house had already
started to burn, and I saw that my house was burning.  I don't know what
time it was.  I have no watch.  We ran and hid in the ditch [dry streambed]

together with many friends.  We heard shooting, ta-ta-ta-ta-ta! so we
dared not look.  We stayed in the ditch, each on our own.  Then the
soldiers jumped down in the ditch, I don't know where came from.  One
soldier touched all of us with his gun.  We stayed quietly and he said,
"Don't anybody run away".  He spoke Sgaw Karen.  He asked me, "Are
you Christian or Buddhist?" I said "I'm Buddhist".  Then he asked us,
"Why don't you go back [to Burma]?"  We said, "We have no money to go
back".  Then he touched me with his gun and he said, "We will find your
bag."  He asked me, "Did you put a gun in your bag?" We said, "No, we
don't have any guns".  We opened the bag, he looked in it and then he went
away.  I don't know which way they went, I dared not look.

Q:  What did the soldiers look like?
A:  I saw three soldiers.  They were Sgaw Karen.  They wore striped
[camouflage] uniforms.  Their hats looked like soldiers' hats.  Their hats
were striped, with scarves tied around them.  Not yellow, dark green
scarves.  I didn't see any badges on their uniforms.  I dared not look, I
was
afraid that they would shoot me.  I bowed to them.  I bowed like we do to
monks, I made them the Buddhist sign with my hands.  I said that I was
Buddhist.  I asked them, "Don't kill me".  I was afraid.
                                #H6.
NAME:    "Saw Ghay Htoo"   SEX: M   AGE: 30     Sgaw Karen Christian
FAMILY:  Single                                 INTERVIEWED: 16/3/98
ADDRESS: Pa'an District; now in Huay Kaloke refugee camp

["Saw Ghay Htoo" has lived in Section 11 of Huay Kaloke camp since
1996.  He has only one leg and wears a simple prosthesis on the other.]

Q:  Did anything happen before the night of the attack?
A:  One night before, the Thai soldiers said, "You have to turn off the
lights at nine o'clock".  The second night [the night of the attack], they
came at seven o'clock and told us to switch off the lights.  They said,
"Don't switch on the lights".  Then some motorcycles came, they were not
noisy.  There were three persons on each motorcycle.  Then they went
back and disappeared, and after 12 o'clock they [the attackers] entered and

fired their guns.

Q:  Had the Thais ever come to this part of the camp at night before?