Statement by Ka Hsaw Wa at UNOCAL S

Good morning.   My name is Ka Hsaw Wa, and I am the Director of Earth
Rights International.   For three years, I have documented the abuses that
are happening because of Unocal's Yadana Gas Pipeline in Burma.  I want to
thank you for letting me speak today about the suffering that your pipeline
is causing my people.   In Burma, anyone who criticizes your pipeline faces
torture and even death.

I have traveled to your pipeline.  I have interviewed hundreds of villagers
who have connected to your pipeline.   Even now, men, women, and children
must go for forced labor on the pipeline route.  I have interviewed dozens
of people who now refer to themselves as "pipeline porters."   They are
forced to carry the heavy loads of the SLORC soldiers you have sent to
patrol your pipeline.

You say that Unocal's presence has improved the lives of my people.  I ask
you--If that is true, they why are so many of the villagers living in
refugee camps now, instead of enjoying the great benefits that you say you
bring?    SLORC have shot and killed villagers who they think are trying to
flee to Thailand.   The villagers would still rather risk their lives to
escape than to stay in Burma living in fear.

We have all heard your praise your development projects.   Do you know what
the people in the villages say?   They told me: "These projects are like
when the man throw leftover bones the dog, so that the dog won't bite the
man."   The villagers know that your projects are not generous gifts --
they are just another part of your security plan that has already ruined
their lives.

I would like to end today with a plea:  Right now, as I speak to you, your
security guards in the pipeline area are forcing to carry their weapons as
they hunt wild elephants--including one very rare while elephant.  These
are troops from LIB 282, 409, 410, 404 and 405--troops are there
specifically to guard your pipeline.  I have heard you say that you are
committed to protecting the environment and the people near your project.
If that is true, please, for once, use your influence now to stop your
SLORC soldiers from enslaving these villagers and hunting these elephants.

I will be happy to speak to anyone about this in more detail at any time.

Kevin Rudiger
Burma Forum, Los Angeles
Campaign for Corporate Withdrawal
2118 Wilshire Blvd #383