Bangkok post (14/6/98)news

<bold>News headlines

</bold>1:)Suu Kyi calls for women's solidarity

<bold>----------------------------------------=20

Suu Kyi calls for women's solidarity

</bold>

<italic>Agence France Presse

</italic>

Burma opposition leader Aung San Suu Kyi has called for her isolated
country's women to unite to tackle homelessness and a host of other woes.=20

	The Nobel peace prize winner wrote that Burmese women refugees encamped
in Thailand, Bangladesh and India were foremost in her mind when she was
asked to write a foreword to a book marking Women of Burma Day.

	The book entitled Burma-Voices of Women in the Struggle and produced by
the Bangkok-based, anti-junta group Alternative Asean Network on Burma,
is to be released to coincide with Women of Burma Day on June 19.

	The occasion, which falls on Aung San Suu Kyi's birthday, was proclaimed
by Burmese opposition groups.

	"When I think of the women of Burma, I think first not of those who are
in fact living in Burma, but of those who are living on the other side of
our borders," she wrote in the foreword to the book, which is a
compilation of short stories, essays and poems by Burmese women.

	"Women are usually regarded as homemakers =85in such circumstances, how
can women be expected to exercise their talent for homemaking?"=20