Special Posting: WOMEN OF BURMA DAY

------------------------ BurmaNet ------------------------
 "Appropriate Information Technologies, Practical Strategies"

SPECIAL POSTING: WOMEN OF BURMA DAY: JUNE 19, 1998

HEADLINES:
==========
ASSK: FORWARD: WOMEN OF BURMA
BKK POST: SUU KYI CALLS FOR WOMEN'S SOLIDARITY

EVENTS:
AUSTRALIA (MELBOURNE, SYDNEY)
CANADA (EDMONTON, VANCOUVER)
GERMANY (HANOVER)
INDIA (NEW DELHI)
INDONESIA (JAKARTA)
JAPAN (OSAKA)
NEPAL (KATHMANDU)
NORWAY (OSLO)
PHILIPPINES (MANILA)
SINGAPORE
SOUTH AFRICA (DURBAN)
THAILAND (BANGKOK, CHIANG MAI)
U.S.A. (PHILADELPHIA, LOS ANGELES, WASHINGTON D.C.)

AUNG SAN SUU KYI: FOREWARD: WOMEN OF BURMA
June, 1998

>From the book, <Burma - Voices of Women in the Struggle>, published by ALTSEAN

When I think of the women of Burma I think first not of those who are in
fact living in Burma, but of those who are living on the other side of our
borders as refugees. Women are generally regarded as home makers, tenders
of the hearth around which the family gathers, weavers of the gentle ties
that bind faster than the strongest iron chains. A home may be a ramshackle
old house, a modern apartment, a hut or a moveable yurt, but it has to
offer some degree of security, there has to be a certain sense of
possession. Refugee  centres, in general, offer little in the way of
security, and inmates are reduced to the unenviable status of the
dispossessed who have no control over their own lives. In such
circumstances how can women be expected to exercise their talent for home
making, let alone demonstrate their many other qualities that could
contribute so much towards making the society in which they live happier
and better?

Problems that are not thrust before us are easy to ignore. Refugees tend to
be forgotten unless public attention is drawn to their plight. It is time
we brought to the attention of the world the abysmal conditions under which
so many women of Burma are forced to exist, not just for weeks or months
but year after year, deprived of comfort and hope. They are sorely in need
of material assistance that will enable them to create a semblance of
normal life for themselves and their families. But more than that, there is
a crucial need to examine the reasons why they have been reduced to the
present state of homelessness and abject dependence on the fickle charity
of others.

People unprotected by the laws of the land in which they live can be
abruptly stripped of their rights and possessions and cast out into a limbo
of existence. These are the political refugees. There are also economic
refugees, people who are compelled to leave their homes in search of a
means to scrape together a living. The worst cases are those of young girls
whose poverty has plunged them into a life of prostitution in an alien land.

The woes of dislocation are not confined to refugees across our borders:
there are within Burma many internally displaced persons. They, like the
refugees, whether political or economic, are victims of mis-governance.
Therefore, if we are to resolve the problems of refugees and internally
displaced persons, we must resolve the fundamental problem of
mis-governance. Unless Burma has a  government that is willing and able to
create conditions under which its citizens can live in political and
economic security (the two are indissolubly linked), there will continue to
be hundreds of thousands of refugees and internally displaced persons
living out their shattered lives in uncertainty.

On this Women of Burma Day 1998*, I would like to appeal to the
international community and to non-government organisations to make a
concerted effort to bring an end to conditions that have led to the
homelessness of so many women of Burma, and to give them the necessary
assistance that will enable them to reconstruct their lives. The majority
of these refugees belong to the Karen, Kayah (Karenni) and Mon ethnic
groups and in providing them with help I hope due thought will be given to
the need for preserving their cultural integrity. Burma is a nation of many
different peoples and in this diversity lies immense potential for strength
if we can make mutual trust and understanding the foundation of our union.

To the women of Burma themselves I would like to send a message of
solidarity. Together, in full knowledge of both our strengths and
weaknesses, we can contribute towards the building of a nation that is a
safe and happy home for its peoples. Together we can overcome the troubles
of today and create a happier tomorrow for ourselves and our fellow human
beings.

* Women of Burma Day falls on June 19.

THE BANGKOK POST: SUU KYI CALLS FOR WOMEN'S SOLIDARITY 14 June, 1998

Agence France Presse

Burma opposition leader Aung San Suu Kyi has called for her isolated
country's women to unite to tackle homelessness and a host of other woes.

The Nobel peace prize winner wrote that Burmese women refugees encamped in
Thailand, Bangladesh and India were foremost in her mind when she was asked
to write a foreword to a book marking Women of Burma Day.

The book, entitled Burma -- Voices of Women in the Struggle and produced by
the Bangkok-based, anti-junta group Alternative Asean Network on Burma, is
to be released to coincide with Women of Burma Day on June 19.

The occasion, which falls on Aung San Suu Kyi's birthday, was proclaimed by
Burmese opposition groups.

"When I think of the women of Burma, I think first not of those who are in
fact living in Burma, but of those who are living on the other side of our
borders," she wrote in the foreword to the book, which is a compilation of
short stories, essays and poems by Burmese women.

"Women are usually regarded as homemakers ... in such circumstances, how
can women be expected to exercise their talent for homemaking?"

LOCATION: Australia, Melbourne
DATE: June 20, 1998
EVENT: Tea and Cake
CONTACT: Alison Tate alisont@xxxxxxxxxxx

LOCATION: Australia, Sydney
DATE: June 19, 1998, 6:00 p.m.
EVENT: The Honourable Janelle Saffin MLC, convenor of the Parliamentary
Forum for a Democratic Burma, invites you to attend a gathering to celbrate
the birthday of the National League for Democracy Leader, Daw Aung San Suu
Kyi, to be held at th eParliament House on 19 June 1998 commencing at 6:00
p.m.
CONTACT: Hon. Janelle Saffin MLC; RSVP 17 June, 1998 on (+61 2) 9230 3306

LOCATION: Canada, Edmonton
DATE: June 20, 1998
EVENT: Burma Watch International is celebrating Daw Suu's birthday and
Women of Burma Day on 20th June 1998
CONTACT: Alice khin_s_w@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

LOCATION: Canada, Vancouver
DATE:
EVENT: Exhibition
CONTACT: Chao-Tzang Yawnghwe tzang@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

LOCATION: Germany, Hannover
DATE: June 19, 199 18:00 - 24:00
EVENT: Solidarity events to be held at the "Sedana" Burmese restaurant,
Cellerstr. 14 in Hannover.  The Sedana team of the Burmese democratic
expatriates would be delighted to serve the honourable guests with typical
Burmese food and exotic cocktails.  Live enteratainment with Burmese music
and songs will be presented by our Burmese musician Bo Han.
CONTACT: Nwe Aung 101564.2652@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx or tel. 0511-316331 / 7000451

LOCATION: India, New Delhi
DATE: June 19, 1998
EVENT: In Delhi, the Women Rights and Welfare Association of Burma (WRWAB)
will organize the birthday party at the Constitution Club on 19-6-98.  All
pro-democracy groups will participate.  Some distinguished Indian
politicians and intellectuals are expected to join.  Ms. Nirmaladesh Pandey
(MP) has accepted to be the chief guest.
CONTACT: Dr. Tint Swe sayagyi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

LOCATION: Indonesia, Jakarta
DATE: June 24, 1998
EVENT: Tea Party and Launch of Book
CONTACT: Maria Pakpahan komseni@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

LOCATION: Japan, Osaka
DATE:  June 21, 1998
EVENT: Working weekend with Sunday, June 21st dedicated to Burmese Women
and a celebration of Daw Suu's birthday
CONTACT: Burmese Relief Center - Japan brelief@xxxxxxx

LOCATION: Nepal, Kathmandu
DATE: June 19, 1998
EVENT: The event will take place in a temple near the center of town.
Burmese Nepalis, human rights organization representatives, student
leaders, and members of the press will be invited.  The program will
include a small talk about Daw Aung San Suu Kyi and a prayer, with a
reception afterwards.
CONTACT: Maryam Montague ndinepal@xxxxxxxxxxxx

LOCATION: Norway, Oslo
DATE: June 19, 1998
EVENT: Various
CONTACT: Kjersti Tromsdal pdburma@xxxxxxxxxxx

LOCATION: Philippines, Manila
DATE: June 18, 1998
EVENT: FBC Philippines will have a book launch
CONTACT: Merci Ferrer iidmnl@xxxxxxxxxxx

LOCATION: Singapore
DATE: June 19, 1998
EVENT:
CONTACT: parami@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

LOCATION: South Africa, Durban
DATE: June 19, 1998
EVENT: FBC(SA) is organizing to do a function at University of Durban
Westville
CONTACT: Thein Win burmamtk@xxxxxxxxxxx

LOCATION: Thailand, Bangkok
DATE: June 18, 1998 5:30 p.m. -  8:00 p.m.
EVENT: Book launch, cocktail party, and roundtable discussion on Prospects
for Strengthening the Women's Movement of Thailand and Burma
CONTACT: tacdb@xxxxxxxxxx

LOCATION: Thailand, Chiang Mai
DATE: June 19, 1998
EVENT: Network Supporting Women's Rights in Burma (a group of 8
organizations) will launch the book at Chiang Mai University Women Studies
Centre, cook Burmese foods, and celebrate Women of Burma Day
CONTACT: Jackie Pollock mapnet@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

LOCATION: U.S.A., Philadelphia
DATE:
EVENT: organized by Women's Resource Center of Bucknell University
CONTACT: Janice Butler butler@xxxxxxxxxxxx

LOCATION: U.S.A., Los Angeles
DATE: June 19, 1998 7:00 p.m. - 9:30 p.m.
EVENT: at Jocelyn Seagrave's home in Pacific Palisades (address to come
when you RSVP).  RSVP to contact below.  We will be serving Burmese food
and having readings from a new book of Bumrese women's writings, as well as
showing a video message from Aung San Suu Kyi.
CONTACT: Jocelyn tinker@xxxxxxxxxxxxx or 310-239-5842

LOCATION: U.S.A., Washington, D.C.
DATE: June 19, 1998
EVENT: Event in cooperation with members of U.S. Congress
CONTACT: Khin Ohmar freeburma@xxxxxxx or ncgub@xxxxxxxxxxx