Full Version of ABSDO- NUS statemen

Joint statement of the All Burma Students Democratic Organization and the
National Union of Students (NSW, Australia)

Today  marks the 53rd birthday of  Daw Aung San Suu Kyi, the leader of the
democracy movement in Burma. More importantly, today is "Women in Burma"
day.   This day is held to  honor the women of Burma who have been
fighting for basic human rights for the Burmese people alongside with male
citizens.

Toe Toe, the President of the All Burma Students' Democratic Organization
in Australia, sent this message of support: " On the day for Women in
Burma, we send a  message of hope to Daw Aung Suu Kyi, and our whole
hearted support to her  in her struggle for democracy and human rights in
Burma."

Toe Toe continued: "It is the women of Burma who pay the price for the
political oppression, backward economy and armed conflict that has been
raging since 1948. Women in Burma are still highly illiterate, have the
lowest health standards and are socially regarded as inferior to men. They
are also victims of the recent HIV/AIDS epidemic because of an increasing
prostitution problem.  "The military dictatorship is the  major source of
all the social, educational and economic suffering of the Women of  Burma.
Therefore we have to  intensify the fight against this brutal regime in
order to free all of our people - including women - from suppression."

Van Badham, president of the National Union of Students (Australia) said:
"The National Union of Students is a passionate advocate for human rights
in Burma, and provides support for Burmese students living in Australia in
their campaigns for democracy in their homeland."

"The NUS condemns the failure of successive Australian governments, Labor
and Liberal, to introduce economic sanctions against the brutal and
oppressive SLORC regime. Their reluctance to punish barbarism in the Asian
region makes them complicit in the continuation of oppression."

In August, the NUS and ABSDO will launch a "Free Burma" speaking tour in
major campuses in NSW, Victoria, Queensland, Western Australia and the ACT
to commemorate the
tenth Anniversary of the 1988 people's uprising in Burma for democracy and
human rights.

The NUS will be encouraging Australian students to join the Free Burma
Student Network set up by NUS and ABSDO to get active in a grassroots
"Economic Sanctions Against Burma" campaign in Australia.

Further Info. Contact:
ABSDO
Phone and Fax 612 97378637
maungt@xxxxxxxxxx