Burma (r)

Suu Kyi sees hope for new parliament,
Martyr's Day appeal for fresh Junta talk,
Rangoon, AFP.

Opposition leader Aung San Suu Kyi hinted Burma's parliament may be
convened in defiance of the junta, in comments released yesterday as the
country marked the anniversary of the death of her revered father.
 "This is not something I can answer now, but what I can tell you is this-
that we consider it our responsibility to implement the will of the
people,"Mrs. Suu Kyi said,when asked if her National League for
Democracy(NLD)would convene parliament.
 The NLD chief also renewed a call for dialogue with the junta, saying the
party had a "transitional plan"to bring democracy to the strife-torn city.
 "It is a flexible plan,"she said,declining to go into more detail but
adding the NLD"have always said we do not want a zero-sum solution".
 In the interview conducted last week and distributed by the pressure group
Altsean, Mrs. Suu Kyi urged Asean foreign ministers who will in Manila to
throw their weight behind her party's call for a parliament.
 "I think the first thing they can do is support for our call for convening
a parliament," she sdaid.
 Rangoon was quiet yesterday as hundreds paid respects to Aung San and his
cabinet who formed a budding government in the lead-up to Burma's 1948
independence.
 Mrs. Suu Kyi led a delegation of families of those killed on July 19,1947,
when a cabinet meeting was sprayed with bullets. Mourners laid wreaths at
the Martyrs' Mausoleum.
 She was taken to the ceremony by a junta car. The junta was represented by
Culture minister sein Win.