Thank you very much

Thank you very much for your prompt action, Mr Domingo Siazon.

It is a very timely warning for the SPDC to excercise restraint. With
this ,I hope any possible violence can be averted and the SPDC can be
contained before your forthcoming scheduled meeting of the ASEAN
Ministers in Manila.

SPDC should seriously consider the appeal made by the Foreign Affairs
Secretary of Phillipines Domingo Siazon on 3 July, 1998 urging all the
feuding factions to exercise restraint. SPDC must also take note that Mr
Domingo Siazon had already urged the ASEAN to scrap its non-interference
ploicy for a more felxible one. He said that other ASEAN
ambassadors he has talked with agree it's time for more active
involvement.

If SPDC is genuine about peaceful settlement, the obvious choice should
be to start talking with the NLD including the ethinic groups.
Most importantly, SPDC must stop its repression and initmidation on the
NLD party and retract its threat on Daw Aung San Suu Kyi's life
immediately.

As for the democratic forces in Burma, it is absolutely necessary to
show complete support to the NLD's call for a parliament to be convened
if we want to fight the SPDC to the end. We should all stand up in line
with the NLD in one voice. We also should support the NLD's call for a
dialogue as we all don't want to see the repeat of 1988 crisis as a
first choice.

Unity among all the students groups and democratic forces is a must.

In Solidarity with the NLD's resolutions and it's movements.

Towards peace and democracy in Burma.

Minn Kyaw Minn
==============

Re:Myanmar junta threatens Suu Kyi with legal action

It was Daw Aung San Suu Kyi and the students who were bodily hurt. If
this is the actual collision course that SPDC has chosen to take, then
the consequences that follows are the sole responsibilty of the SPDC.

It is time that other ASEAN member nations who decided to work together
and invested with the SPDC should also take note that they would be wise
to act swiftly to contain the SPDC from behaving unfairly and unjustly
and let such undertakings to happen which will definitely lead to
another uprising similar to that of 1988. When that happens, the
situations will be very much worse than that in 1988 and conclusive.
This time, the impact of the uprising will go beyond its boundary. Too
much risks to the investing memebers of ASEAN to ignore the present
volatile situations. As such, SPDC should be contained before it creates
unstabilty in its own house. It should be very clear to all by now that
this military regime, especially the " Military Intelligence Service
(MIS)", is capable of creating such political unrests to justify another
mass killing of its own populace because they oppose the illegitimate
rule of the SPDC. After all,it was the "SLORC/SPDC" who did not win
public support. We all know that.

Towards peace and democracy in Burma.

Minn Kyaw Minn
==============

>From notes@xxxxxxx Mon Jun 29 08:56:36 1998
>Date: 29 Jun 1998 08:43:46
>From: hlaing@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>Subject: Myanmar junta threatens Suu Kyi with legal action
>To: Recipients of burmanet-l <burmanet-l@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> Myanmar junta threatens Suu Kyi with legal action
>05:18 a.m. Jun 29, 1998 Eastern
>
>YANGON, June 29 (Reuters) - Myanmar's military junta threatened on
Monday
>to take legal action against opposition leader Aung San Suu Kyi and her
>political party, saying she was on a collision course with the
government.
>The warnings were carried in commentaries run by three state-owned
>newspapers which said: ``The Myanmar government and its people can no
>longer tolerate the acts of Daw Aung San Suu Kyi who ignores the
interest
>of the nation and people.''
>Similar warnings appeared in the media in the days prior to Suu Kyi's
house
>arrest in 1989 for nearly six years by the then ruling military
government.
>The Nobel Peace prize winner was released from detention in mid-1995.
>The country's media are considered mouthpieces of the ruling State
Peace
>and Development Council (SPDC).
>The latest threat follows demands by Suu Kyi and her National League
for
>Democracy (NLD) party that the junta convene parliament by August 2 in
>accordance with the results of the 1990 election. The NLD swept the
>election, but its victory was never recognised by the military.
>The newspaper commentaries cited Law Number 5/96, which they said
>prohibited individuals or organisations from ``disturbing, destroying,
>obstructing, inciting, delivering speeches, making oral or written
>statements and disseminating in order to undermine, belittle and make
>people misunderstand the functions being carried out by the National
>Convention for the emergence of a firm and enduring Constitution.''
>They said those convicted for the offence faced a minimum of five years
>a maximum of 20 years in jail.
>During the eighth anniversary celebration of the NLD's 1990 election
>victory late last month, Suu Kyi demanded that the SPDC convene
parliament
>to facilitate a session of elected members of parliament.
>The SPDC bluntly rejected her call and said parliament could not be
>convened without the completion of a new national constitution being
>drafted by a government-appointed National Convention.
>The Convention was set up in early 1993. It has not met since 1996,
>although the junta says two thirds of the new charter is complete.
>The NLD walked out of the Convention some months after Suu Kyi's
release
>from detention, calling it a sham.
>Suu Kyi has repeatedly sought talks with the military but the junta
flatly
>refuses to deal with her.
>She has accused the military of abusing human rights and curbing her
>party's political activities.
>The newspapers said Suu Kyi was being used by the West to undermine the
>junta and the national interests of Myanmar.
>``Daw Suu Kyi ignored the interests of the nation and the people.
Instead,