*** PART 3 OF 5 - SEE OTHER POSTINGS FOR OTHER PARTS OF THIS REPORT ***

_

                     Interviews and Field Reports

                                  #1.
NAME:    "Klaw Reh"     SEX: M   AGE: 50      Kayah Animist farmer
FAMILY:  Widower, 9 children but 6 of them already died,
         3 surviving children aged 1-15
ADDRESS: Daw Kraw Aw village (#72), Shadaw township   INTERVIEWED: 29/4/98

["Klaw Reh" was interviewed in a refugee camp in Thailand.]

Q:  When did you arrive here?
A:  I don't know the date, but since then we've been given rice two times
[meaning he's been there one or two months].  We came because the
SLORC burned all our houses and our barns and they killed all our
animals.  We didn't have any house so we couldn't stay anywhere.  We had
no food and we didn't want to die.  I am too old, I can't resist the SLORC.

Q:  When and how was your village ordered to move?
A:  June 1996 - they sent a letter.  When we arrived there [at Shadaw
relocation site] they just gave us very little food and the rice was not
good.
We had to work for them two or three times a week, for the whole day
each time.  We couldn't enjoy our food [i.e. they did not have enough and
they were too tired and depressed to enjoy the bad food they had].  We
saw a lot of people dying when we stayed in the relocation place.  We
couldn't bear it, that is why we escaped from there; but not all of us,
only
some.  Some still stay in the relocation site.

Q:  Was there a clinic in Shadaw?
A:  Yes, but they didn't treat us very well.  I saw a woman there who died
when her baby was only 6 days old.  They would inject one ampoule of
medicine into two or three people.  We didn't need to pay money for the
injection, but if we paid money we could go to the medic's house and be
properly healed.

Q:  How long did you stay in Shadaw?
A:  Two months.  I stayed there but we didn't have enough food, and then
the Burmese told us to go back to our village to bring back some food.
When we went back to our old village we never tried to go back to the
relocation place, we just tried to hide in the forest.  The Burmese called
the
people who escaped to come back to the relocation site, but after we
escaped we didn't want to go back.  When we were hiding there, if the
Burmese ever saw some smoke [from a cookfire] they fired mortar shells
at it.  I was afraid because I saw many people killed by the Burmese, and
we were afraid we would also be killed.  We didn't have enough food to
resist them.

I decided that if I died everything would be over and that would be better
than going back, because life is very bad in the relocation site.  We
didn't
have any chance to work for ourselves, we just worked for the Burmese.
Then the Burmese sent a letter again to the people who had escaped,
calling us back to the relocation site.

When we stayed [in hiding] in our village, SLORC soldiers came and
when they found villagers they shot at them.  We posted people as sentries,

so when the SLORC were coming we always ran out of the village.  We
saw people shot at by the Burmese, but they didn't die because we knew
they were coming.  They look on the villagers as Karenni soldiers so they
just kill them.  They killed many people.  We were really lucky to survive
this long.  I'm very, very lucky.  If I was not lucky I would have been
killed.

Q:  How did you survive in the forest?
A:  The village was already burned down [by the time they returned from
Shadaw];  the trees, the bamboo and the grass had already grown in the
village.  We had some food because we had hidden it in the forest or in
caves, but it took one or two hours to go and find the food.  They had
burned all our houses and our barns, so if we hadn't hidden our food it
would have been very difficult.  Just then my wife died, leaving me with
our small 8-month-old baby.  I didn't have any milk to give to my baby.  I
just gave him water.  If I had stayed there longer we would have died, so
we fled from there.

Q:  Did the people get sick while they were hiding?
A:  How wouldn't they get sick?  And we couldn't go anywhere to find
medicine.  But only my wife died.  She died of diarrhoea.   Her name was
Pru Meh.  When we lived in Shadaw it was worse - at least one person in
each family died of disease there.

Q:  How many people were hiding with you?
A:  People from Daw Ei Po, Daw Leh Da, and Daw Ei She, those three
villages, but divided into groups of three families in three different
places.
There were about 15 or 16 people.  There were also a blind single woman
and a very old woman who were left behind there [when they fled to
Thailand].  There were also four families near D--- village and two
families near A---.  In D--- one family had seven people but one of them
died.  He didn't have any sickness, but when we arrived from Shadaw he
just died.

Q:  Did you see soldiers when you were hiding?
A:  Yes, we saw them but only from a distance.  We came out from the
places where we were hiding and watched them.  We always watched
when they were around because if we saw them coming our way then we'd
have to run away from the place where we were hiding.  When they found
out where we were hiding we had to move, then when they found out our
new place we had to move again.  We had to move at least four or five
times.  But they didn't find us, because if they had found us they would
have killed us.  The Burmese patrolled around Daw Tama and Daw Bo
Loh.  They never made camps, they just came for a while and left.  They
came patrolling once a week, every week.  I think they were Battalions 72
and 54, but I'm not sure.  They were the soldiers who guard the Lawpita
Dam [near Loikaw].  #72 is based in Lawpita and #54 in Loikaw.

Q:  How long did it take you to come here [to the refugee camp]?
A:  Six days because we had to avoid the Army, but if we could have
come directly it would have been 4 days.  It is very difficult to come here

because Burmese soldiers block the border, but we had to try to pass.  I
came with a lot of people - one family from Daw Kraw Aw and two
families from Daw Leh Da.  If someone is lucky he can pass, if he is not
he will die.  I was afraid, very afraid that we would be killed.  While I
was
coming here my mind was right outside of my body [an expression for
extreme fear].  But we were lucky and we didn't die.

Q:  Do you think one day you will be able to go back?
A:  Yes, of course we would like to go back.  Now we get rice from
others, but we only receive it once a month so if they stop giving it what
will we do?  If we stayed in our own land we could plant and grow enough
food for ourselves for the whole year.

Q:  After you left Shadaw relocation site did you hear anything about the
situation there?
A:  At the beginning they were given rice there, but later they didn't get
enough rice so they had to work.  For one day's work they can get 8
milktins of rice [about 2 kg/3 lb] and 14 Kyats.  If a family has more than

five people this is not enough to eat for a day, so the people who still
live
in that place have to steal whatever they can find to eat, and this is a
problem.
_
                                  #2.
NAME:    "Nyi Reh"      SEX: M   AGE: 26      Kayah Christian farmer
FAMILY:  Married, 2 children aged 1 and 3
ADDRESS: Daw Leh Da village (#73), Loikaw township    INTERVIEWED: 6/5/98

["Nyi Reh" lived in Nwa La Bo relocation site north of Loikaw for almost
2 years before fleeing to the Thai border, where he arrived at the
beginning of April 1998.]

Q:  Why did you come here?
A:  The SLORC Army ordered my village to relocate so I left my village
two years ago.  I stayed for two years in Nwa La Bo consolidation village
[relocation site], Loikaw township.  Then I fled from there together with a

friend.

Q:  How many houses are there at Nwa La Bo?
A:  There are about 130 houses in Nwa La Bo.  Ten villages were
relocated there:  Thirida, Daw Mu Leh, Daw Leh Da, Daw Sar Si, Daw
Klay, Ku Lay and Daw Lar Leh villages.  [Villages in this area were not
forced to relocate in the initial relocations because they were spared by a

SLORC agreement with the KNPLF ceasefire group; however, SLORC
subsequently cancelled the agreement and relocated them anyway.]  They
didn't give enough food for the villagers.  Before they gave one pyi [about

2 kg of rice] each and we could eat for three days with that.  Then they
gave one pyi a week for one person.  They gave a bit of salt but they
didn't
give oil, beans or soap.  They gave only rice and salt.  But they gave us a

chance to find some more rice - they would let us farm outside the camp,
but we had to pay for a ticket to get out.  Each ticket costs 50 Kyats.
Then
if they heard any strange news, for example news that the rebels were
close by, they wouldn't allow us out.  So we couldn't go out to the fields
and the paddy crop was destroyed.  We could also buy rice but it was very
expensive: 100 Kyats for one pyi.  At first they had checkpoints but not
any longer, and they never built a fence around the camp, so it was
actually
easy to go out and come in.

Q:  Was there a hospital there?
A:  They had a hospital but if you didn't give them money they wouldn't
treat you.  Some people died because they wouldn't treat them.  In two
years I saw three patients die, one old man and two children.  They got
sick and they died.

Q:  Did you have a chance to worship in Nwa La Bo?
A:  They built a Buddhist monastery but they didn't give permission to
build a Christian church so we couldn't build one, and the Christians had
no chance to worship [many Karenni are Roman Catholic].  The Army
also destroyed the Christian church in my village because of the [local
SLORC] chairman Hla Win.  Now is not a chairman anymore, he joined
the Military Intelligence.  But they do have a school in Nwa La Bo.

Q:  Did you have to do any work for the SPDC?
A:  Sometimes they forced us to do forced labour in the Army plantation
between Nwa La Bo village and Chet Kae village over one hour's walk
away.  Infantry Battalion #54 came and took us on trucks.  They forced us
to carry things, dig the earth and do other things.  They forced us to do
that
three or four times a month.  The soldiers said that they were planting
vegetables for the refugees [the people in the relocation sites] but we
never got any of them.

Q:  Did they arrest [SLORC] soldiers who ran away?
A:  Yes, they arrested their soldiers who escaped, but they didn't arrest
those who left the KNPP as long as they joined the KNDA, the ones with
the dragon badges.  They forced them [the ex-KNPP soldiers] as well as
villagers to become KNDA.  If the villagers obeyed and became KNDA
they didn't arrest them, but if they wouldn't become KNDA they arrested
them and sent them to prison.  [SLORC/SPDC demands some kind of
quota of KNDA recruits from among the villagers.]  I joined the KNDA
because they came and forced me to become KNDA.  If my father had
been staying with us I wouldn't have gone [one man from their house had
to go, so his father would have gone].  But only my mother and my sister
were staying in our house, so I had to go because I was afraid for them.
When I stayed with the KNDA I didn't do anything for them.  I just stayed
in the Army camp beside Daw Leh Ku village, between Tee Ku Leh and
Daw Leh Ku.  They gave me an AK [AK47 assault rifle], and I had to
carry that.  Before I went there I'd heard that there were four hundred
soldiers in the KNDA, but when I arrived there I saw only a hundred.  The
Burmese control them completely.  Wherever they go the Burmese follow
them.

Q:  How did you flee from Nwa La Bo?
A:  I fled Nwa La Bo at night, I don't know what time it was.  I fled
suddenly, and my wife and children didn't come with me.  I fled with one
friend.  I fled to D---, then to K--- and then across to this place.  It
took me
less than one month to come here, sixteen or seventeen days.  I saw them
[SPDC soldiers] but I ran away when I saw them.  They didn't catch us
and they didn't shoot at me.

Q:  What is the difference between Nwa La Bo camp and the refugee
camp?
A:  In Loikaw, at Nwa La Bo, they didn't give enough rice, but in the
refugee camp we get rice, oil, salt, chillies, beans, blankets, mosquito
nets,
mats, and treatment for sick people.  So now I will stay here and work.
My wife and my two children will arrive soon.  They will arrive here with
other people from Nwa La Bo.  I will build a house and stay with my
family.  I don't want to go back to Loikaw, I will stay here.
_
                                 #3.
NAME:    "Saw Kler"         SEX: M   AGE: 20+      Karenni
ADDRESS: Mawchi town, southern Karenni             INTERVIEWED: 27/4/98

Q:  What is the situation in Mawchi?
A:  Mawchi is so poor that people have nothing to eat.  Some villagers
there may have money, but even if you have money you can't buy anything
and you can't buy as much as you want.  You can't get as much rice as you
want to keep in your home.  For example, you can't store enough rice in
your home for one month, just for three days.  You must keep the rest in
the church and go to get some of it every three days.  This is your own
rice.  They don't allow the villagers to keep all their belongings in their

own homes, because they accuse the villagers of supporting the Karenni
army and giving food to the Karenni Army.  Even in Mawchi.  Mawchi is
very big you know; I'm from Mawchi.  There are many churches in
Mawchi, and there is also a mine.  If you are in Loikaw, the capital, you
can buy rice and you can eat it there, but you can't bring rice from
Rangoon to Mawchi [the SPDC won't allow it], you can't bring rice from
Loikaw to Mawchi or to or from the areas to the east.

Q:  Are the relocation sites still there, or have they been closed and
moved
to other places?
A:  No, nothing like that.  Shadaw and Ywathit [relocation sites] are still

running but Ywathit is very small compared to Shadaw.  Mawchi also
stays.  Right now there is no road construction right in Mawchi [town] but
the people who live in the relocation sites like Shadaw or Mawchi are
forced to work for the military every day.  The situation of the people in
the relocation sites is going from bad to worse because they said they have

no food in the camp.  They receive very little food from the SPDC and it is

not enough for everybody.  Some are starving to death.  Many people die
of sickness, especially in the rainy season from malaria and diarrhoea.
They are also forced to work for the military doing things like carrying
water, cutting bamboo, making fences and collecting firewood for the
Army.  Especially in the Second District, the Army goes to fight almost
every week so the people are forced to carry their supplies and
ammunition, and many people die as porters at the frontline.  Now a lot of
people who stay in the relocation sites are forced to be militia too, but
not
only people in the relocation sites have to do that.  People from other
villages are forced to do that too.

The road from Mawchi to Toungoo is 96 miles long.  There was an old
road there but they haven't used this road for many years now.  So far they

have done 12 miles from Mawchi.  Villagers were forced to work there
from 6 in the morning to 5 in the evening with only a one hour break.
About 3 months ago 11 women and 90 men were doing forced labour
carrying things on the road 12 miles from Mawchi.  They spent the night
there and were attacked by the KNPP, and then they stopped work on the
road [temporarily].
_
                                  #4.

["Paw Lweh", a village headwoman who had just escaped from Mawchi
relocation site, stated the following in an interview on 15/5/98.]

We refugees from Mawchi [those staying in the relocation site], especially
the women, we had to be afraid whenever we went to find vegetables in
the forest that we might be threatened and raped by Burmese soldiers.  We
were sad and had pity on our friends who had to face that.  The villagers
at
Mawchi have to carry things for them as porters, both men and women,
old and young.  They beat the porters and threaten them.  I felt very sorry

for all of my villagers when I saw their situation like that.

They didn't give us enough rice.  There was not enough water for all of us
at Mawchi.  Especially in the hot season we had to go very far to fetch
water.  Some people got diarrhoea due to the unclean water.  We received
no health care.  The Burmese who called us there ought to have given us
health care, but they never do that.  There was a pharmacy but the
villagers
could not buy the medicines because they were very expensive.  Some
seriously ill people died because the cars [public transport on small
trucks] only ran sometimes.  If we saw a car we tried to send the seriously

ill people to the hospital in town.

If you look at the shelters [in the relocation site] you can see that they
are
very small and not properly built, because it was not easy for the people
go and cut trees and bamboo.  The Burmese who called us there ought to
supply us with water, food and health care, but they never take care of us.

I hope the behaviour of the Burmese will change soon.  I hope they will
give the people a chance to live freely and in peace.
_
                                   #5.
NAME:    "Sai Long"         SEX: M   AGE: 30       Shan Buddhist
FAMILY:  Married, 3 children aged 5-9
ADDRESS: xxxx village, Loikaw township             INTERVIEWED: 1/5/98

["Sai Long" was arrested in 1994 for carrying opium and sentenced to 10
years.  While serving his sentence in Loikaw jail, he was taken as a porter

early this year for SPDC troops patrolling Karenni areas and eventually
escaped.]

Q:  When did you arrive here [a refugee camp]?