Thailand concerned about rising Mya

Thailand concerned about rising Myanmar tension
04:50 a.m. Jul 08, 1998 Eastern

BANGKOK, July 8 (Reuters) - Thailand said on Wednesday it was concerned
about growing political tension in neighbouring Myanmar and urged restraint
by all sides there to avoid violence.

``We are concerned about the developments there. We urge restraint by all
sides to avoid violent confrontation between the opposing forces,'' foreign
ministry spokesman Kobsak Chutikul told Reuters.

``We as fellow ASEAN (Association of South East Asian Nation) member
countries feel that any new instability in the region could affect efforts
to achieve regional economic rehabilitation,'' he said.

Political tension between the ruling military State Peace and Development
Council (SPDC) and opposition National League for Democracy (NLD) party led
by Aung San Suu Kyi has been rising since May.

Suu Kyi demanded in late May that the SPDC convene a parliament of elected
representatives from a May 1990 election, swept by the NLD but ignored by
the ruling junta. The SPDC rejected the idea.

Since then the SPDC has placed elected NLD representatives under increased
vigilance, ordering those outside the capital Yangon to report to local
authorities.

On Tuesday, the military prevented Suu Kyi and senior party officials from
travelling to a northern township to meet some elected NLD representatives.

A Myanmar rebel group, the ethnic Karen National Union, said this week that
the new curbs on NLD members could be politically explosive.

The Thai foreign ministry spokesman said any instability or unrest in
Myanmar could lead to problems along the common border between the two
countries.

As a result of any unrest, there could be a spillover of refugees, border
trade might be hampered and drug suppression activities at the border areas
could be affected, he said.

``Any problems there could affect the economic prosperity of all,'' he
added.