ABSDO rally on 20th of July in Melb

Urgent Media Release
News desk

Burmese Students will rally at the Victoria State parliament to demand the
immediate actions from Australian federal and state parliaments in support
of the democracy struggle in Burma.

Members of All Burma Students Democratic Organization (Australia) and pro-
democracy activists   will be gathering at the state parliament of Victoria,
Spring Street , Melbourne,  at 12:00 Noon on 20th of July 1998 to express
their concerns over the current political tension in Burma and draw support
from Australian people and the governments.

Ms Nwe Ni  from ABSDO said "   Since Daw Aung San Suu Kyi called for the
convening of the National Parliament with in 60 days which is due on 21st of
August, the political crack down is obviously mounted over the leaders of
National League for Democracy. About 50 people's representatives elected in
1990 elections have been  detained without proper reasons. Daw Aung San Suu
Kyi had a night long Sit-in protest and 24 hour stand off with the regime's
security personals in these days."

" At this critical time, we have to show our effective support to the
Burmese people, Daw Aung San Suu Kyi and the democracy activists who are
restlessly struggling for the democracy and human rights in our country "
She went on to say.

Students will call on Australian govt.. and parliament to extend their
strongest measure on SPDC regime:
1. To convene National Parliament by 21st of August
2.To engage dialogue with Daw Aung San Suu Kyi
3.To free all political prisoners including student leader Min Ko Naing
4. To Re-open all universities

Students will also urge the Australian government to impose economic
sanctions against Burma and urge the state governments to adopt selective
purchasing law that ban any contract with the companies investing in Burma.

Further info.
Contact All Burma Student's Democratic Organization ( Australia)

Maung Maung Than                     Ye Myint Tun
0411337816                                 0413812476

Toe Toe                                         Nwe Ni
0416332499                                  039 8132613