Reuters : Malaysia opposes call on

Malaysia opposes call on ASEAN flexible engagement

Web posted at: 23:30 JST, Tokyo time (14:30 GMT)

KUALA LUMPUR, July 17 (Reuters) - Malaysia's Foreign Minister on Friday
opposed a call by his Thai counterpart that members of ASEAN comment openly
on the problems of one another, instead of keeping to their policy of quiet
diplomacy.

"If there are problems, we will overcome them our way, in a manner which
does not undermine the dignity of anyone and which shows that we are
sensitive over any incident which occurs," Abdullah Ahmad Badawi was quoted
as saying by the national Bernama news agency.

Thai Foreign Minister Surin Pitsuan said on Monday that ASEAN had to change
its 31-year-old policy of "constructive engagement" to one of "flexible
engagement," where members talked openly and frankly about national
economic and political issues adversely affecting the region.

ASEAN groups Brunei, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar, the Philippines,
Singapore, Thailand and Vietnam. Its members seldom criticise each other
openly, choosing to solve problems and conflicts by private discussion.

An example of the group's solidarity was seen last year when it admitted
Myanmar into its fold without commenting on the domestic politics of the
country, which has been criticised fiercely by the United States for its
human rights record.

Abdullah said Surin's suggestion could not be adopted officially as it
would create uneasiness within ASEAN.

He said he would convey Malaysia's views on the matter at the forthcoming
ASEAN Ministerial Meeting in Manila.

"I believe that all the ASEAN members will be prepared to discuss and
exchange views over the issue," he said.

Ajit Singh, a prominent foreign policy commentator in Malaysia, said to
discuss ASEAN matters outside the group "would only lead to hurt feelings
and bitterness."

"I have seen some pretty spirited and heated discussions taking place at
meetings of ASEAN foreign and economic ministers and also among the
officials," Singh, a former secretary-general of ASEAN, said in a
statement.

"All these discussions were conducted in good faith and have always ended
happily on the golf course."