Daw Suu still in her car

Day five as Suu Kyi sits in car while troops watch
01:59 a.m. Jul 28, 1998 Eastern

By Rajan Moses

BANGKOK, July 28 (Reuters) - Myanmar opposition leader Aung San Suu Kyi
spent a fifth day in her car on Tuesday in a standoff against the military's
refusal to let her visit party supporters in a town outside the capital Yangon.

``She's still there. They asked for drinking water and we provided that. But
they have enough food and a week's supply of chocolates, bread and other
food with them,'' a government spokesman told Reuters by telephone from Yangon.

National League for Democracy (NLD) party leader Suu Kyi, a senior party
member U Hla Pe and two drivers were blocked by security men at bridge near
Anyarsu Village about 64 km (20 miles) from Yangon on Friday morning. They
were heading for Pathein township, in Ayeryarwaddy division, to meet party
supporters.

Negotiators from the ruling State Peace and Development Council (SPDC) had
asked Suu Kyi to return to Yangon but she had refused.

NLD officials were unavailable for comment on the protest.

U.S. Secretary of State Madeleine Albright said on Monday she was ``gravely
concerned'' about the health and safety of Suu Kyi and would hold Myanmar's
military government responsible for her welfare.

Albright, in Manila for a regional diplomatic meeting, also said there was
an increasing possibility of a political ``explosion'' in Myanmar that could
undermine regional stability.

The military leadership hit back at Albright and said the United States'
``accusations, allegations and condemnations thrown against Myanmar is a
typical way of a sole superpower carrying out a witch hunt.''

The Myanmar government said Suu Kyi was stopped because she did not have her
personal security team with her and it was concerned she might be harmed by
anti-government elements, leaving the government open to blame.

It also accused her of trying to foment dissent ahead of the planned
reopening next month of universities and other institutions, which were
closed in December 1996 after student unrest.

But a defiant Suu Kyi, who has been sitting in the car for most of the time
with few short breaks to stretch her legs, has refused to budge from where
her white sedan was stopped and refused to talk to government negotiators.

An ambulance was on standby in the area where she is staging her protest and
Myanmar Red Cross officials were at hand to provide humanitarian assistance
to her, the spokesman said.

``Yesterday, the NLD central executive committee requested that they would
like a doctor to be sent to see her. This was approved and he's already at
the site,'' he added.

``She's not staging a hunger strike but we have reserved food supplies and
water which we shall give them if they require it,'' the spokesman said.
``We are worried about her security. She's a sitting target in the open like
this.''

Asked if the government was prepared to endure a prolonged Suu Kyi car
protest and when the standoff might be resolved, he said: ``We won't impose
physical force to get her to return to Yangon. We hope that she comes to her
senses and realises that this is a futile way of politicking.''

``She's refusing to communicate and deliberately staying on. This is a
publicity stunt and they will try to get as much publicity as they can,'' he
added.

``But there are limits just as anywhere in the world over how much trouble a
person can stir up before the authorities may need to enforce laws to ensure
peace and stability.''

``We have our security people near the car, she cannot go forward, but yes,
she can always go back ... to Yangon,'' he said.

The Alternative ASEAN Network, a critic of the ruling junta, said it was
ridiculous the entire Myanmar government was imposing its will on one car
and refusing to allow it to continue its journey.

``We are extremely concerned for Suu Kyi. Even though she may have supplies,
four nights in a car is already too long for any normal person to endure,''
said Debbie Stothard, coordinator of the non-governmental organisation.

``If they allow her car to pass through she will talk to them. The
government should have dialogue with the NLD and Suu Kyi to find ways to
convene parliament by the August 21 deadline,'' she added.

Tensions have escalated between the SPDC and the NLD after Suu Kyi's call on
the government to convene parliament by August 21 comprising members of
parliament elected in the May 1990 elections which the NLD swept but was
ignored by the military.

Diplomats and analysts said they were concerned about the Suu Kyi car
protest in case it escalated into a defacto hunger strike caused health
problems for her.

``If it becomes a defacto hunger strike, we cannot imagine the ramifications
of that,'' said a Yangon-based diplomat. ``Although this news is causing a
stir internationally, domestically there is no reaction, nothing in the
media.''

Suu Kyi was succeeding in reinforcing to the world that her movements were
indeed being restricted, he added.

``But at this stage it's a stalemate.''