Press Release 4/98 of the Myanmar E (r)

Media Release
07/27/98

A denouncing demonstration held by Democratic Burmese Students Organization
(DBSO-USA) and Committee for Restoration of Democracy in Burma in front of the
Burmese (CRDB) embassy in Washington, DC on July 27 at 6.00 PM was
successfully finished. Vice Of America (VOA-Burmese Service), and Radio Free
Asia (RFA-Burmese Program) covered the news and the event.

	Ko Yin Aye from DBSO delivered a speech during the demonstration. He urged
the regime to release Daw Aung San Suu Kyi from unlawful arrest on the heat-
and-breezy open highway for four days. "It was very ashamed that the SPDC
inhumanly reacted over Daw Aung San Suu Kyi's trip to Bassein," he said.
	U Tin Maung Thaw of CRDB also delivers direct speech in front of the embassy.
He said it is time for the SPDC to realize what is exactly going on within the
army and within the council. So he urges the regime to honor 1990 election
results.
	The demonstration was ended at 7.00 PM in Eastern time.

	The following dexterous questions and answers are exchanged between a
demonstration organizer Nyi Nyi Lwin of DBSO and Daw Tin Htar Swe of RFA-
Burmese Program Editor: Indication and posting this media exchange is just
intended to nothing except the original and media coverage released by The
Rangoon Post Working Group in U.S.A..

Daw Tin Htar Shwe's Questions:
Tin//  // Your identification of which organization you have belonged to?

Nyi// // I am a member from Democratic Burmese Students Organization (DBSO-
USA)

Tin// // Why do you hold this demonstration?

1) Nyi// // I hold this demonstration to denounce the SPDC unlawful arrest
over Daw Aung San Suu Kyi on the heat-and-blazeropen highway to Bassein for
four days. But the SPDC termed that she was 'blocked'. It wasn't a block as
the SPDC terms. But it was unlawful arrest.

Tin// // Have you ever tried to negotiate with the SPDC ambassador and staffs
from the embassy in DC?

Nyi// // No, I have never tried to talk with anyone from this co-called
embassy because the SPDC is illegitimate junta so that the so-called
ambassador is also illegal ambassador. But we would like to welcome a
legitimate ambassador who is sent and represented from the legitimate
government of Burma honored by the 1990 election. We will welcome him not only
by open arms but also by our warmest hearts.

Tin// // What do you think the current situations inside Burma?

Nyi// // What I deeply think and firmly believe present situation in Burma is
far more worsen than international community expected. The country will be in
hunger; the country will be in bloody challenges; and the country will be in
breakaway in pieces by pieces if the SPDC tries and forcefully holds the power
without holding open dialogues with NLD and other democratic forces. The bad
economic situation in Burma is increasing and in any time the social unrest
can be happened and the SPDC will no longer hide the real problems. Everyone
knows it. Burmese peoples know it. It is time for the SPDC to work with
elected representatives.

Tin// // What do you prepare for the worsened situations in Burma, and what
kind of helps you will request from international community and U.S.
government?

Nyi// //  What do we prepare for the worst is very sample. The NLD has called
for parliament in August. It will represent for people, will grantee for
freedom and individual rights. It is legitimate act that people voted for it
in 1990 election. The international community will happy to work with the
legitimate government, and we can work out our economic problems, social
problems, and educational problems. We are ready, and the international
community is also ready to work with us too. For the students, there are
numbers of Western trained educated, young, and talented students, who came
out to struggle for restoration of democracy and human rights in Burma, are
ready to work with the legitimate governments in every fields of social and
governmental organizations. Some are still studying in U.S, Canada, and
Australia. They will soon be ready too. So we can say we are ready for our
legitimate government.

Tin// // Daw Aung Suu Kyi has been in dead-lock, and she has been faced the
most difficult situations now, and the SPDC will arrest her if she moves
further, and what you have thought what she is going be happened and what you
have prepared to prevent for it?

Nyi// //  To answer this question directly, I would like to repaid Daw Aung
San Suu Kyi comments to media very recently, in which she said, her situation
had been worsened before, is worsened presently, will be worsened more under
the illegitimate regime. And no one is safer in Burma, so is she. But the real
hidden of inability to manage the country political situation by the SPDC is
revealed by the present unlawful arrest over Daw Aung San Suu Kyi. In fact, it
shows that the SPDC is out of control. People will not simply watch the brutal
act of the SPDC-thugs. Again, if Daw Aung San Suu Kyi's heath were badly
effected, were put in a prison, and were assassinated, the SPDC would pay more
prices than it had ever paid. I hereby repaid Madam Albright comments in ASEAN
meeting in Manila, of which the SODC is only responsible for all causes to Daw
Aung San Suu Kyi. We will point our figures to the SPDC whatever happens to
Daw Aung San Suu Kyi is caused by the regime.  And we will work with
international community, including the United Nations, European Union, and the
United States in every way we can to prevent to further threat to Daw Aung San
Suu Kyi.

Tin// // According to you, if the situation inside Burma is getting worsen
what you have prepared for it and what will you make sure to help the
situation?

Nyi// //We know the situation in Burma gets worse so that why we are working
harder to solve all problems peacefully and smoothly to integrate an orderly
transition of democratic government in Burma. We hereby urge the regime to
allow a people parliament in August requested by the NLD and then the brasses
from SPDC should prepare to leave their governable posts and should go back to
their army posts. That's very simple that the SPDC can do now. And we are
closely convincing the U.S. Government, Canadian Government, European Union,
and the United Nations to help Burmese people to provide foods and medicines
based on humanitarian grounds if the social unrest is erupted in Burma. And
the international community is also requested to hold direct talks with the
SPDC to enter to the political dialogue roundtables with the NLD and
democratic forces to solve the political problems within months. Also, if the
unrest is occurred, we will urge people of Burma not to go to enemy approaches
to act violently, and will ask them to listen carefully what our leaders are
leading for. Again, Burmese people are more esteem and more confidants and
have practiced non-violent means and actions for many years. Thus, I have no
doubt that democracy can be achieved at this time in Burma via people power.

The Rangoon Post Working Group (USA)