Int'l Trade Unions'support for Burm (r)

PSU-ITF

PHILIPPINE SEAFARERS' UNION-ALU-TUCP-ITF
Registration No. 10252-(Fed)-LC
Elliptical Road corner Maharlika Avenue, Diliman.
Quezon City,1101 Philippines, P.O.Box 1856-1158
Tel:922-2575,922-2579,922-6168,922-6171 & 922-6199
Fax:(632)922-3199. E-mail: alumia@skyinet-net

O3 August 1998

SENIOR GENERAL THAN SHWE
Prime Minister
BURMA
Fax:	+95 1 22950

Dear Sir:

On behalf of the Philippine seafarers Union-ALU-TUCP an affiliate of the
International Transport Workers' Federation (ITF), allow me to express our
grave concern about the
rampant violation of Human and trade union rights of our brothers from the
Seafarers' Union of Burma and from the All-Burma Petrol- Chemical
Corporation Union.

We have received information that U Khin Kyaw of the Seafarers' Union of
Burma is being detained without being sentenced while U Myo Aung Thant was
sentence to 10 years in jail in addition to life imprisonment. All these
are merely for their involvement in trade union activities. The arrest of
our union brothers were already known and disclosed to the international
trade union movement and is now receiving great concern and attention of
the international community.

As one of the democratic trade unions within the Asean, we strongly lodged
a protest for curtailing human and trade union rights in your country. We
are appealing for the unconditional release of U Myo Aung Thant, U Khin
Kyaw and their families as well as all other trade unionists and democracy
activists currently detained in Burma.

We sincerely hope that you will take necessary measures to settle the case
of our union brothers through peaceful means without delay, fully
respecting the human and trade union rights.

Thank you.

Very sincerely,

GERMAN N. PASUA.IR.
National Vice President, Operations

gen/protest2.itf

cc:	National Executive Officials,PSU
      ITF Secretariat, London
      Seafarers Union of Burma,Bangkok, Thailand.